It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultural Appropriation Is Bad And We Need To Stop It! Oh wait....what's the definition again?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
don't do yoga

www.breitbart.com...

Watch where you eat

everydayfeminism.com...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make a video of me eating sushi while doing yoga.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Surely there is a line between blending of cultures, as you alude to such as language bastardisation, and that of cultural appropriation, like Rachel Dolezal for instance.

But who gets to draw the line? Rachel Dolenz wasn't saying damaging things that hurt black people when she was pretending to be black. She was 'fighting the fight' right along with them. I'm not really sure why that upset people, except that she took the leadership slot at the NAACP from a black person.

I always thought that cultural appropriation should be viewed as honoring that culture... unless the culture was being made fun of thru the appropriation. Then it would surely be an insult. But if it is celebrating that culture, what is the issue? I truly want to know, because I don't get it.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
dbl post
edit on 6/8/2016 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

My opinion only.

I think everyone should take that giant bug that lives up their ass and pull it out. Some cultures have cool things, so others will do it.

What's the big deal?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

My opinion only.

I think everyone should take that giant bug that lives up their ass and pull it out. Some cultures have cool things, so others will do it.

What's the big deal?

I have no problem with exploring cultures so I honestly have no idea.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Just the fact that something offends people is not a good enough reason not to do it.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aristotelian1
Just the fact that something offends people is not a good enough reason not to do it.

I agree. I am challenging the way it is even defined.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I've had the opportunity to live in quite a few places with different cultures.

Some things, I've adopted.

Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Where have you lived?! That must be exciting!

(Genuine interest... I particularly want to know about the food)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Spent time in China, Europe and Africa (west coast).

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

As someone who has spent time in other countries, what do you think other countries would say about this particular nonsense?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

They'd laugh. They see it as a sign of respect if you adopt aspects of their culture.

Only in America is it seen as something obscene.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

"Black face" isn't cultural appropriation. Black face most commonly refers to putting on makeup as part of the process of becoming a caricature based on negative stereotypes.

Usually when people talk about cultural appropriation, it's Twitter or Instagram BS where some jackass is completely overreacting and admonishing a white person for their choice in hairstyles, music, tattoos, whatever. It's a complete non-starter, could never be an effectual tactic and worse, it's entirely counterproductive as the people being harassed are of course already to some degree or another genuinely receptive to the culture they're accused of misappropriating from.

Not that there isn't a case to be made in certain egregious cases but those are few and far between and excessively criticizing people for dumb s# that is wholly innocuous only dilutes the impact in the instances where criticism is warranted.
edit on 2016-6-8 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I tend to agree, unless of course it's mockery.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Zoe Saldana was the most recent to come under fire for "black face". She is half-black herself and darkened her face with makeup to more accurately play a Civil Rights activist, Nina Simone.

She was in the forefront of my mind when I said black face.

Zoe Salandra under fire

My issue comes when it is used as a tool for harassment. You are correct.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I see a lot of folks here fighting for the right to be arses. That's just dandy, as long as they don't inflict themselves on me. Meanwhile, here's a bit of enlightenment on the topic that might offer some perspective:
Think Before You Appropriate: new guide advises on ethical use of indigenous cultural heritage

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I tend to agree, unless of course it's mockery.

Then it's not cultural appropriation.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
I see a lot of folks here fighting for the right to be arses. That's just dandy, as long as they don't inflict themselves on me. Meanwhile, here's a bit of enlightenment on the topic that might offer some perspective:
Think Before You Appropriate: new guide advises on ethical use of indigenous cultural heritage

Fighting for their right to freedoms of speech?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

To some the term Canuck is offensive. You being an arse, eh

I am taking, Canuck and Johnny Canuck, to you its a term of pride. What would you do if the SJW came after it, would you change or keep being an arse and keep your handle?

We ARE talking about people that think that a building needs to renamed, because it was named after a man named "Lynch" and that's racist.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Will Canadians get upset because I like syrup on my bacon?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join