It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School calls police to stop 7-year-old kid from sharing Bible verses

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner
It's the lack of permission from the parents of the children. That's the problem. It is not okay to distribute religious materials to children that do not belong to you.

What's so hard to understand about that?

Not your child? Not your choice.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: daryllyn

And yet you probably have no problem with my child being subjected to ridicule and ostracism if he didn't participate in physical contact sport but chose piano lessons;
because like you say

but we all know that our society operates with many unspoken rules

And that is how bullying is encouraged and perpetuated. Nice.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And instead of feeling bad that their own kids want that kind of love, those parents get mad that one mother loves her son that much and they complain to the school to try to get her to stop showing that love.

THIS. She is disrupting their make believe perfect world where both parents work and have thrown all responsibility onto the school to raise their children. By bringing this to the surface they feel shamed and over react.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

and, I would like to know what stories were being shared since some of the stories in the bible just aren't appropriate material for little 7 year olds!

What reading that 10000 Midianites were killed by the Israelites has the same impact as seeing a dismembered body in a car crash on the 8 pm news.

Yeah right
edit on 9-6-2016 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: s

edit on 9-6-2016 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: s

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Do you believe that the christian times article portrayed what happened accurately without leaving out any important details?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

ya, genocide ordered by god is on thing...
and, what channel are you watching that is showing dismembered victims of car crashes? my bet is that there is none.

I was probably a little older than 7 when I first read the bible through. my father refused to take me to church, but instead handed me a bible to read on my own, without guidance.
I've read it through several times since then, and spent a few years in churches. nothing said in those churches or that I learned has managed to replace those first impression I had in my youth that god gave women a really crappy position in creation and in many ways he was rather cruel. I also remember quite a few sexually explicit stories in it that I kind of just glossed over.

not everything in the bible is suitable for a child that young. and I bet I could pick out some verses that christians really wouldn't like being shared in their school with their children.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
My kid is being raised without God.

He is 8.

I DO NOT want him coming home from his public secular government school - - - asking me questions about God because a schoolmate is telling kids about God.

We will teach him what we want to about God in our own way.

I have no problem with a parent putting notes in their kids lunch. But, they need to teach him its special for him and to keep it to himself.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Abysha

Great, more fodder for the Christian Industrial Martyr Complex.

Even if this is true they technically did nothing wrong.

I agree and I even said in my OP that I often spar with Christians. I take it that you think its a good idea to bring the police in if a child has bible verses in the lunch box other wise how do you project this into a Christian Industrial Martyr Complex (whatever that means)?

No, I think getting the police involved was stupid. I wasn't defending police involvement; I was defending policy being equally applied to even Christians.

And what I meant by the "Christian Industrial Martyr Complex" is the agenda to portray intense persecution anytime a Christian is treated like the rest of us. If this were a Muslim kid, I doubt the Christian media would even mention it, let alone spin it and condemn it.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

No, I think getting the police involved was stupid.

The reason the police became involved is because the mother refused to follow requests from the principal.

Public school is a government program. You are asked to stop an action and refuse, next step is a legal government official.

In this case a sheriff.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
How does my opinion on not indoctrinating other people's children with your personal religious beliefs equate with facilitating/supporting bullying?

That's a really big stretch. You could not argue my actual point, and instead attempted to damage my character by insinuating that I must be cool with bullying.

Try again. Explain to me why it's okay for an adult to distribute religious materials to students, at school, without their parents permission.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I DO NOT want him coming home from his public secular government school - - - asking me questions about God because a schoolmate is telling kids about God.

Who cares what you want? You aren't the Empress, you can't tell everyone to stop talking about stuff you disagree with.

So you're admitting your fallacious belief system is too weak to withstand the freedom of speech of other children? What are you so afraid of? That you're wrong?

Do you never let your kid play outside with other kids? Do you keep them locked up in a "safe room" to protect them from outside ideological influence?

Meanwhile you spend all day ranting on the net agianst anyone with views you oppose? Give me a break...

My kids can tell your kid about God all day and your kid can talk about Evolution and sex change operations all day, the strongest ideas will win in the end.

You are clearly against the very freedoms you abuse to promote your own twisted beliefs.

I'm afraid you need to learn what freedom is.
You're being selfish and tyrannical about this.

What happened in your life that traumatized you into this behavior? I'm very sincerely sorry for whatever misery you're going through.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

Who cares what you want?

I do.

How about I stand on the corner and give out Atheist information to all the little Christian kids.

You wanna see headlines? That would do it.

Secular government is on my side. Deal with it.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Who cares what you want?

I do.

How about I stand on the corner and give out Atheist information to all the little Christian kids.

You are free to give out whatever information about any religion or political views to kids or adults or whatever on the street corner.

What country do you live in that prohibits that?

Here in America we have freedom of exercising speech and religion.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Who cares what you want?

Government isn't supposed to "take sides". That's the point of separation of church and state.

Government is supposed to treat everyone Equally and protect Liberty.

But you think the state is supposed to take your side and promote your religion? You support censorship of basic topics?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Who cares what you want?

I do.

You are free to give out whatever information about any religion or political views to kids or adults or whatever on the street corner.

What country do you live in that prohibits that?

Here in America we have freedom of exercising speech and religion.

Depends. Can not Proselytize in public school. Can't yell Fire in a crowded theater.

However, having been raised Christian, I'm well aware of their Persecution Complex.

An atheist kid doing the same thing this Christian kid is doing would bring hoards of Christian parents down on the school board.

You'd get BIG headlines.

edit on 9-6-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Who cares what you want?

Government isn't supposed to "take sides". That's the point of separation of church and state.

But you think the state is supposed to take your side and promote your religion? You support censorship of basic topics?

I'm just gonna go by Separation of Church and State cases won in court.

Legal decisions - - they take priority over opinion.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Not true. You're fabrication of a "what if" scenario is a logical fallacy, it's a failure in your logical method of argumentation.

Speculative fallacy :

Offering a poorly supported claim about what might have happened in the past or future, if (the hypothetical part) circumstances or conditions were different. The fallacy also entails treating future hypothetical situations as if they are fact.

America is the land of the Free, home of the Brave.

We are Free to speak our minds, and Brave enough to hear others speak their's.

But in your paradigm, only you are allowed to dictate what you want, cops should shut others up, and you certainly aren't exercising courage in any aspect of that behavior.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Who cares what you want?

I'm just gonna go by Separation of Church and State cases won in court.

Legal decisions - - they take priority over opinion.

The Courts disagreed with you!!
You didn't even look it up.
Fail...

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Sorry, but you've gone off on some tangent of your own.

Can't Proselytize in public school.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Pwn'd

The Constitution permits much private religious activity in and about the public schools. Unfortunately, this aspect of constitutional law is not as well known as it should be.

Some willingly ignore the Law and promote tyranny like... guess who?

Students have the right to pray individually or in groups or to discuss their religious views with their peers so long as they are not disruptive. Because the Establishment Clause does not apply to purely private speech, students enjoy the right to read their Bibles or other scriptures, say grace before meals, pray before tests, and discuss religion with other willing student listeners.

ACLU

Shall I dig up Supreme Court quotes now? Is the ACLU suddenly a non reputable source on law?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join