It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State police swiping motorist debit, prepaid cards to seize money.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This reminds me of the civil asset forfeiture law. Ill post a video of john oliver explaining it.

They take peoples cash and even homes and then buy police "toys" and even things like margarita machines.

This is all in the name of "war on drugs".

I'd resign if i was a police officer and my job was to legally rob hard-working citizens.

edit on 10-6-2016 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Of course it's not every police officer. However, if you keep giving police more and more power, they will become corrupt.

You should look up "civil asset forfeiture law" if you think this is not happening already. John Oliver has a great video on it, as I posted above ^^

You're completely right about it not happening everywhere, but you should be aware that IT IS happening in practice. Parents had their house taken by police because they thought their son was a drug dealer. And even if he was, that is still extremly WRONG.

This is an expansion for the war on drugs. It will only get worse unless people start rebelling against these type of laws.
edit on 10-6-2016 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

In one word, it's larceny. Theft plain and simple. I say the users of the ERAD should be locked up.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: InFriNiTee

In one word, it's larceny. Theft plain and simple. I say the users of the ERAD should be locked up.

Ya know...I'm a retired hardware/software engineer. How long do ya think it would take them to arrest me IF I built one?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx

This is only for people carrying large sums of cash on hand.

If you are a law abiding innocent civilian then you will not have your cash stolen from you.

Again this is for people who are pulled over, aroused the cops suspicion, and they find cash in your hands upon searching your vehicle.

So if I was going 5 over on the interstate and was on my way to pay a buddy for a car in cash for 10k, how would that cop know I had 10k in cash on me? I can't fit that in my wallet, and they can't search my car without reason. I am law abiding and carrying large amounts of cash on hand, so what is wrong? A rich guy wearing 100k worth of gold around his neck and wrist, is that not the same? If you get pulled over and have a gold chain, is that not the same as arousing suspicion? Why would some normal schmuk have gold on him when the state want's it more, now it is theirs and you are a criminal for having a gold necklace. Unless you have the reciept for it which was inherited from your dying uncle 10 years ago.

Know what arouses police suspicion? Anyone they need to pull over. Have you ever been pulled over? For anything like not stopping at a stop sign for a full 3 seconds? What if you were walking down the street and a cop wanted to see your wallet. What would you do? They tell you that a guy in the neghborhood with your complexion has been caught stealing wallets so they want to see your wallet. You give it to them and then ask for a reciept for that wallet you have owned for 5 years. You don;t have it on person, so they take the whole thing, give you a ticket to appear in court and your cards are now defunct and maxed out by the state and you have no license. How would that feel? That's basically the same thing as what was in the OP just a bit more harsh.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Sometimes

As for disclosing the amount of money you have.. I wouldn't.

As for your view of traffic stops police only need reasonable suspicion to imitate a stop. We still need probable cause to arrest / cite. If you are in a high crime area police can make contact and ask for idea and in those instances law enforcement should be explaining the reason for contact.

Asking for an ID (pedigree info) is a valid action given the high crime area. Every time I ask for ID and the person hands me tar wallet usually ends up in a DWI arrest. We arent going to ask to see your wallet (unless a crime occurred where a wallet matching the one you have is similar). We can ask for ID and in those situations, high crime contact, is a valid detention and not a voluntary contact = must identify yourself (unless your in CA apparently).

We cannot seize your wallet without a warrant / search incident to arrest.

As I stated before the courts are facing more and more cases involving electronics and the laws / constitutional applications are still be worked out / established.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Traffic stops are not the right place to have your electronic assets seized. Traffic stops already seem to be the #1 place cops don't follow the rules.
edit on 11pmSat, 11 Jun 2016 23:18:16 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
Traffic stops are not the right place to have your electronic assets seized. Traffic stops already seem to be the #1 place cops don't follow the rules.

or the #1 place that people dont know the rules / constitution.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Do you think if a driver were to know their constitutional rights and expressed them to a cop who was violating them it would make the situation better, or worse?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Considering the people don't know their rights or how they are applied why should the cops listen to someone prattle on about something they know nothing about?

Whats being violated?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
here is how you stop this keep a clip bpard in your car and cover it with the flat sheet magnet they use on refrigerators or to degus security strips at store they ask to see yourss lay them out on clipboard and hand them to him the magnets corrupt info on card by deguassing them. happened all the time in department store i worked at.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

Doing that to a gift card is sort of like cutting it up though

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
With magstripe cards, the PIN merely serves to confirm to the machine that you are authorising the transation. The information on the magstripe is unprotected, and readable by any magstripe reader. So yes it is theoretically possible that the Police could develop a card reader, with the co-operation of the card issuers, that enables the deduction of funds without the PIN.

Chip and Pin cards without magstripe (such as we now have in Europe), require the PIN in order for the data to be read, as it is stored in the chip in protected memory, and encrypted. The PIN serves as the decryption key. Without the valid PIN, the reader just gets garbage data.

However sadly, with the advent of contactless (RFID Enabled) cards, the rather strong chip and pin system got weakened back to magstripe standards of security.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join