It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You young guys have it so easy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

So deny one of the main factors for our existence, to procreate. Got ya. Thankyou for ending the species. I'm glad your parents didn't share the same outlook on life as yourself otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. No kids and homeless is the future indeed.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

I've got faith that the OP is in the second category.

Everyone needs a whinge now and then, it's like a safety valve. And, given the situation at home (or at work), I thought it was wise for him to have it here.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ChuckNasty

I am actually happy that i did not take a dive into college yet.

Hearing that something so small as a house mortgage, and a student loan bill is that terrifyingly bad, it makes me laugh.

You should be laughing at him instead of trying to give him a piece of your mind. Psychologically if you laugh at his frugal attempts to make you feel inferior to him just laugh at them.

See if i were you in this case, even with all of the bs you put up with, i do this. If they are making a complaint about you, or about themselves. Or generally any complaint what so ever do this: in a baby cry voice say "wah." Make it sound like a baby cry. If they continue to complain about you or your work habbits #ing make that baby cry voice. You know what it does. It will lift your spirit above theirs. If they hit you that is grounds for lawsuit. If they start making personal attacks against you like saying you are a # person and you suck and it makes you want to punch someone? It is grounds for a law suit.

I hate to be that pundit in the corner telling you this but it is so effective to mimick a baby cry every time some makes a complaint. It is so effective that others will laugh along side you.

It has been so effective for me across so many jobs now i try to tell others this and they just crumble. They cant do it. So i myself grew a pair of balls so big that i use comical methods to mock others and their pitiful cries. I am quick about it too. As soon as they finish their sentence i add in a baby cry immediately. I am not a manager. But i might as well be one.

And one more thing. Just remind your boss to imagine you as a donkey who has too much # piled on top of it, yet it still moves forward. Even if it is just a square inch per hour. I use a lot of metaphors like that and suddenly i get a lot of respect for what i do. Even if i # up something they know i am going to trudge forward no matter what.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: misterhistory

The funny thing is, every generation has the same rant.

"Back in my day, we killed wooly mammoths with our hands, now you hippies use spears! Pfft!"

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

get out NOW!!! you need your freedom and independence. Hell, it's your RIGHT! Work hard, save all you can, don't buy stuff on credit, stay away from women who "need" stuff. But spend less time with your mouth open, and more time with your ears open. Right now is when those older guys who tell you stuff you don't want to hear are offering you free advice. And the big thing is, they are offering you this based on their mistakes, and what they would have done differently. So if you were to actually pay attention and learn what it is they all offer you as advice, there is a chance you can avoid making some of those same mistakes, and still learn the valuable lesson each one teaches.

Don't be afraid to fail, and don't be afraid to ask for help, but also, remember when you screw up, the only one you need to blame is YOU. That lesson will take you farther than any in life.
edit on 8-6-2016 by network dude because: bad spler

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I moved out with my girlfriend two years ago. I was 27, I was in no rush, the people I was living with understood I was trying to save for a down payment, or at least some security if I moved into an apartment.
But my girlfriend, she wasn't so lucky. Her parents were ruthless, constantly dropping hints the day after she was done school to get out.
Leaving newspaper ads for apartments, jobs, leaving the doors locked when she forgot the house key, asking if she was staying with me all the time.

They did this because at her age they moved out and were already working full time. My girlfriend, just finished school and working a minimum wage Jon. They were expecting ME to take her in. It was extremely selfish.
It has worked out, I have a decent job, but at the expense of her sanity I gave up on the house idea for a bit. Life happens.
We make ends meet and save and splurge once a month, we both have student loans, bills, etc.

But saying us young people have it easy, it's a rather bold thing to say. Because everyone is different, but if a young person goes out into the world it's not gonna be easy 9 times out of 10.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

But saying us young people have it easy, it's a rather bold thing to say. Because everyone is different, but if a young person goes out into the world it's not gonna be easy 9 times out of 10.

Just so you know, it doesn't really get easier as you get older, you just get better at dealing with the troubles. And then when you have kids of your own, and they become teenagers and are quite sure they know every damn thing and you are a brain dead moron who they can't fathom how you are able to get yourself dressed in the morning......well, lets just say, it comes back around. Point is, life is hard. Make sure you are strong enough to deal with it.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: misterhistory
I don't want a trip to a Caribbean island every year, I'm happy with a weekend drive to some Jersey beach. I've got way too much stuff and looking to sell rather than buy more.

No offence, but you sound like a spoilt brat.

You have a car? Good for you. You have money? Good for you. You have the luxury to just go for long weekend drives? Good for you.

Some of us live day to day, and tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Man, you need to live life before you think you have it all down pat. Anything can happen and you will realise, you DID have it easy... christ almighty...

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid."
-John Wayne

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Parafitt
He does appear that way. Forgets he has shelter, running water, education, medical and dental care,a recognisable family, luxury goods. Forgets who provided for him for 15 years. No doubt thinks a computer and Internet access is a given, gas and electricity free for the large majority of his life.

He fails to realise his father is an outcome of his grandfather, and that he is mimicking his father's behavioural traits, the "victim complex".

To think IBS is close in comparison to addiction is laughable at best. It's not a pissing contest.

I do hope you print screen your frustration OP, so in 10 years time you can look back and see how whiney it all sounds. You will laugh when your older and realise you will share the same complaints you have branded as "ignorant". I will bet my life in the next 10 years you will have to stop yourself mid sentence to correct a sentence like " back in my day", or "youth of today" when you remember this thread.

You have all the tools required to escape this "hell on earth" you believe to have , but choose to remain. Would you miss it? Do you like being a victim of having an annoying father? Based on your own admittance that you have the money and assets to do so, then why not?

You think you are the only one with an emotional bully father who thinks he's right all the time.

Now I'm gonna write a rant that my internet provider isn't giving me optimum speed. I could change provider but I prefer to wallow in self pity than better my predicament.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

So true...
I've hit rock bottom, don't want to get into it. But I was there for 5 years, and I am still paying for it, still working two jobs. I have just now gotten back on my feet, and to be honest, being there at the 'bottom' and being where I am now, I am completely content.
When people ask me what I'd do with a million dollars, I'd say I would buy a small house and enjoy a comfortable life while working full time. Nothing more, no fancy cars, vacation homes, or anything just security to grow old.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
Now I'm gonna write a rant that my internet provider isn't giving me optimum speed.

Why not?

I'm just happy to hear you've discovered another purpose for existing... you know, as opposed to procreating.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

I am not saying mortgage is nothing. I'm saying don't belittle others for what they're going through. In my case, it would be less problems than I have currently. I've been fired from one job already, for reasons that only the supervisor really knows (he got fired a bit after me, probably from their "winning personality"). I learned a lot from that job though, put me on the road to realizing the distortion of the world I was seeing through my dad's eyes. I had student loans at about 300-400 a month, how do you think I felt as it was after having to move back in to my parents because the situation with the roommate in the apartment we had was worse, more life threatening?

You want to know what mental problems I have? I'll list them: Generalized Anxiety Disorder; Social Anxiety Disorder; Seasonal Affective Disorder; and the big one I developed winter 2014-2015, petrifying terror of death. So yeah, a year later and that's hardly there. It still pops in but I can actually manage it now. You want to make fun of people who need mental help? That's what I get from you.

I've already stated I am in the process of getting out of the bad situation I'm in. Or did you glance over that just because you want to label me a typical millennial?

I already know about kids, I know enough that I likely don't want any if I get into a relationship that far. I was a kid once, I don't even want to deal with one like myself.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
NO they don't. When I was young jobs were like tree fruit. Everywhere. Your boss was a dick, "Later asshat. I'm outta here." And you would have another job in a couple of days. The employers definitely have the advantage today.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

The fact of the whining in my op or any following posts is not lost on me. I've had some hard knocks too. My mother diagnosed with ovarian cancer? Hardly bothered me because I knew it was in the extremely early stages and there are plenty of people with a far worse diagnosis than an easily cured cancer.

Actually being worried about a possible heart condition for myself in high school, turned out to be just a severe form of dehydration. Hard to tell when all I knew about what happened was I tripped and blacked out before hitting the ground, the first couple of doctors didn't ask the right questions.

Struggling to pay off a car and student loans with a food digger I was sticking with, my fault entirely. But one heck of a time worrying about having enough gas to get into work.

I feel entitled to nothing, not even to be liked for this travesty of a thread. I want nothing more than independence to be an old man like you some day, open to hearing others problems rather than trying to say how it's nothing.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

My father made the mistake of assuming that a family life as a churchman, was mere window dressing, that he was the star of some great play or other, and that the characters, other than himself, merely faded out of existence until such time as his internal narrative allowed them back into his life.

He was a cold and useless individual.

I can empathise on the crap father front. I live and work with my mother, and being thirty one years of age, I find myself conflicted about that. There is no way I could ever afford to house myself, even though I run my own business at the moment. However, on the other hand, I am a wolf without a lair, and I find the lack of freedom that comes with rather...stifling at times. But I have no choices. The path I am on is not one that a person merely steps off of. I am determined to make this business work, even if it kills me dead, and it probably will. In order for it to have a hope, I cannot afford to be taking on rent on digs, because otherwise I might as well just cut my throat and watch everything I have worked for collapse in a mountain of unpayable debts. At least as it is, I have no debt of any kind, which is a state of affairs I refuse to change unless it becomes LITERALLY impossible to avoid.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Yes I should have haha, but my dad won't even let me touch lawn equipment. I don't even now the grass. Can you say babied much? I'm pretty sure I qualify. I want to get one of those old fashioned mechanical mowers, I am not afraid of hard work.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
I'd like to put in a word for the OP.

My home situation was intolerable and I left at age 16. I really related to the rant it rattled a few old wounds.

I had a lot of stick as a teenager from middle-aged people who couldn't see how hard things were for me. They wouldn't have been aware, or interested, that I was hungry or lonely or having difficulty finding my feet with no support in the world.

As we grow older our problems change - each age seems to bring a different set. When I was in a damp bedsit with no foreseeable way out I'd look at older people with their homes and families and wonder how any of them might have been envious enough of me to pick on me the way they did. I didn't realise that it was probably my youth that was bugging them. How they could see potential in my life that was hidden from me.

The OP is dealing with problems that come with their age and those problems are as difficult for him / her to deal with as ill health and paying off mortgages and supporting a family are to others.

The OP sounds so stressed and is probably finding it hard to relate to anything or anyone other than their own immediate situation. Not that I can speak for another person, of course.

But I do recognise someone at the end of their tether. If this is the only place they have to get that little lot off their chest then I hope it's helped. I wouldn't have minded somewhere like ATS on many occasions in my life.

This, quoted for the fact I am horrible in expressing myself. Which is why I've got a hard time looking for jobs in my degree.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

Only skinned it haha. By doing something very stupid, but the comical events that occurred to that scrapping were totally worth the epic fail.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

I am doing something about it. I'm finally at the point where I have enough funds to do it. Please read more of my posts as I've stated that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join