It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You young guys have it so easy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I absolutely hate it when some dumb ____ says that to me.

Okay why am I ranting about that? Story is that last night I did horrible at my tasks at work. Not such a perfect of a coworker didn't tell me till the end of the night instead of doing while I'm screwing up, that's a story for another lifetime.

Anyway, he said go home and get some rest and what not. I snickered at that and he went off about ____ing easy we got it, toward me and the summer help who has 80k in student loans (I had 40k and less than 10k to go after 6 years) to look forward to paying back in a few years. His whole rant was about how I don't have anything to keep me up at night because I don't have rent/mortgage and that student loans weren't even close. That's such utter bs in its own right

What really is grinding my gears is the fact I tried to tell him about the bs I go through when I get home. He wouldn't hear none of it but just kept going about the mortgage and taking care of house ____ like that's the end all be all of problems to keep you up at night. I've got news for him, in my case, a mortgage and a house to take care of would actually be easier on me.

What could be worse you ask? How does living with your parents sound? Okay, many people do, but how many live with one who wants total control over everyone in every way they can? They want such control of their family members that they think that their prayers influenced one to marry his sister. That had nothing to do with how they're a good match and care about each other a lot; nope, some schmuch who for years has been ignoring the signs of God to change his ways of misery.

Every day I come home, I have to hear about how my sister isn't doing things the way my dad wants her to do. The endless hours of whining of that and the fact that my niece and nephew are the only grandchildren of my sister's husband's mother gets so much time with them. Might have something to do with the fact that my dad is a tyrant rather than a dad or gramdpa? Nah, just that the other grandmother doesn't let anyone else have time with them. I have to hear this every day.

Every day I come home from second shift, I don't get to sleep till about 1 or later. Around 6-7 in the morning, my dad has to play his stereo at volumes as if it's mid day. I can't say anything about the fact I'm trying to sleep with out him flipping ____. But omg if I was working 3rd shift and was the weekend where I don't work but want to stay on the schedule and play on my computer, I get it for the keyboard noise.

I come home to people who believe the USA was like Leave it to Beaver when Grease was more accurate. They're stuck in the 50's and 60's. I have to hear the rants on people of alternative lifestyles constantly, which I support LGBT. Also, the racism is just intolerable.

I have to live with someone who's whole mission in life is to be as miserable as possible and make everyone around them miserable as possible. I just spent a week at my dad's sister's house. They wonder how I'm not in a padded stall. She even can't stand the fact during parties at my house, which all parties are at my house because all relatives are tired of his whining when they have something at their places, is so uncomfortable. It could be the hottest day on record and the whole family is outside where it's actually cooler in the sun. My dad will not put the AC on; when someone finally does, I have to hear about how weak they're making my niece and nephew for trying to do such as a shameful as being comfortable. Can you imagine the nerve? Shouldn't say too much about it, because parties are the only times this house actually gets cleaned...somewhat.

I have to deal every day with some who doesn't let go of anything. I mean, I have to hear about how horrible my grandfather was to my dad (oh the irony of how what I hear my dad complain about is exactly what he is doing). And I don't mean stuff like in the past 10 years, I'm talking about stuff that happened before my parents were even married. My dad completely rejects the idea of that Disney song. And I have to hear about it almost daily, now that my grandfather is dead I'm not expecting to have it stop completely.

An argument weekly about one thing or another, where my dad is just contradicting me. He has no idea what I'm talking, but he's right. Oh, and he's so right and perfect, he can do no wrong. So much so that he can't comprehend how his words may have hurt someone, you know, because he can't do any wrong.

I have to hear constantly about how much work needs to be done on this house. Yet he's been retired for years now and not one thing has been done when there's actually time to do it. And even if he did, it would be probably be done wrong but of course he can't do anything wrong. My entire family is still in shock that he actually did anything about the room I sleep in now, before it was my sister's and it was horrible wallpaper who he wouldn't change it for. I even got to choose the colors and what was done.

How about living with a person who I am totally convinced that his employer, the city government, was trying everything to get rid of him. Why? Because how abrasive he can be toward people. The city more than likely want to remove him as quickly as possible to avoid the eventual lawsuit that would come about from how he would react to ordinary citizens.

Oh, let's not forget, final bit. Any problems you got, like physically, my dad has got it worse. Trust me on this, yeah he's in pain. Two accidents and an attempted murder by a coworker; he is hurting. But if you ask him; it's one accident, attempted murder by a coworker, and attempted murder by his boss.

Yeah, so I should be so greatful for the fact that I live in this house for "free." You know, because that coworker's mortgage and house is so much worse. How about living with someone who's own brother and sister that can't stand them. Everyone has problems, why do you think it right for you to demean mine or anyone else's? Nope, I'm just an ungrateful little ____ like the rest of the mellennials.
edit on 8-6-2016 by misterhistory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: misterhistory

Like father like son.

All you have done is whine and complain about someone that does nothing other than whine and complain.

Why don't you do something about it? I've met so many people like you who constantly bemoan their lot in life, yet never do anything to help themselves. You're working a lot, move out!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

Like father like son.

All you have done is whine and complain about someone that does nothing other than whine and complain.

Why don't you do something about it? I've met so many people like you who constantly bemoan their lot in life, yet never do anything to help themselves. You're working a lot, move out!

The irony in my rant is not lost on me.

I am moving out by the end of summer. I've got enough money to put down for a nice starter home.

Unlike my father, I am beginning to own up to my own problems that I've put upon myself. Like the fact that it's my own fault for letting myself get into a very toxic relationship which set me back more than a year's worth of pay. It's my fault I screwed up last night, I am working on getting better, starting to really pay attention to things I need to that will make me better at my job. It's myself that's holding me back on getting a job that better matches my degree, I need to work on selling myself. And many others. My dad wouldn't take responsibility for anything he's putting himself through.

ETA: Oh, and there you go assuming something, just like my coworker. How about ask and understand before you assume I'm just another whiner who does nothing to help themselves? That would go a long way.
edit on 8-6-2016 by misterhistory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Sadly you cannot pick your parents. My father (when he was alive) was impossible. Argued about everything. I left as soon as it was legal - gone at 18. I tried at 15, but the cops brought me back.

I'm surprised your waiting so long, but at least you've saved a bit of money. Start researching starter home real estate online ASAP, so that you get the best deal for your dollars.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
To answer your point bluntly....yes mortgage is more stressful/life consuming than what you have stated. And youth does have it easier today. Only when you get older and have kids of your own will you understand his frustration, especially if you bring the whinging to work.

So many worse scenarios. You are alive, not sexually abused and have the opportunity for further education. Bit of perspective required I feel.

Feeling sorry for yoself only make relationships toxic as you have stated. Do some voluntary work at places less privelaged than yourself.

Enjoy the journey.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

I have a relative in reality. I'm in good hands. I now have to go out and look for a good loan starting like next week. Great credit score here so that'll help. Car paid off, student loan is only 100 a month. A month after a trip to Disney World and it barely made a dent in what I have saved up for buying a house and for things like cookware and furniture.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It also sounds to me that you may not have any life threatening or debilitating health issues due to age either. Want something to keep you up at night, deal with the reality that tomorrow morning, you may wake up in excruciating pain, or paralyzed just because you "slept wrong". Or, the worry that to deal with that pain, you are teetering on the brink of addiction to pain killers. That is atop the mortgage, home issues (there are always more things to get fixed or break constantly), and spouse/child worries.

Yeah, I don't think you realize yet how good you do have it.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I was so happy to read your second post because the only advice I had to offer was: Get out and get out now

It was very stressful for me to read your first post. Honestly, if you can find a place on someone's floorboards for a couple of months I think you should do it. Get a tent if the weather's nice enough.

Good luck.

Oh - it's not just your horrible situation that upset me. Your stress is leaking like mad, it's palpable even over the internet.

Really - get away.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: misterhistory
a reply to: snowspirit

I have a relative in reality. I'm in good hands. I now have to go out and look for a good loan starting like next week. Great credit score here so that'll help. Car paid off, student loan is only 100 a month. A month after a trip to Disney World and it barely made a dent in what I have saved up for buying a house and for things like cookware and furniture.

Holy crap, you have that much saved and you're still there?!!
You've got it a lot easier than I did when I left, and for me that was 40 years ago. I got a minimum wage job, a cheap apartment, and I was free!!!

Sigh, you young guys have it too easy 🙄
Just kidding. Maybe you can just put up with more than I could.

And you should have just repainted or rewallpapered your bedroom yourself.....good practice for when you're a homeowner 😉

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

And you are the problem I'm talking about. You are assuming things. How is a mortgage more stressful than what I've gone through?

Yes it's stressful normally, very stressful if you let be, or do something stupid like live beyond your means. My one ex was draining me physically and financially and I was worrying about having enough gas to get into work every week. I have everything budgeted already for a mortgage, outside of maintaining the property when something leaks or breaks. Even then I'm giving myself quite a cushion for that.

I don't want a trip to a Caribbean island every year, I'm happy with a weekend drive to some Jersey beach. I've got way too much stuff and looking to sell rather than buy more.

What I went through as a kid gave me mental problems. I was mentally abused! A year later now, after a good therapist, most of what was wrong with me is hardly a thought in the back of my mind.

I've done soup kitchens, you don't need to tell me that someone has it harder than me. I am in no way deminishing others' hard times. You however are doing just that. My cousin was sexually assaulted by someone her mother dated. I've dated girls that were abused.

The toxic relationship I'm talking about in another post? Oh her family only has one working parent, the other is permanently disabled; they can hardly afford to keep the heat on.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Oh, and to add, the coworker who complained about how easy I got it and how a mortgage is so stressful. He has multiple classic cars, hot rods, that he's bought and worked on. As far as I understand, he doesn't work on them to sell them for profit. So if he's having trouble paying bills, it's not the mortgage.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
It also sounds to me that you may not have any life threatening or debilitating health issues due to age either. Want something to keep you up at night, deal with the reality that tomorrow morning, you may wake up in excruciating pain, or paralyzed just because you "slept wrong". Or, the worry that to deal with that pain, you are teetering on the brink of addiction to pain killers. That is atop the mortgage, home issues (there are always more things to get fixed or break constantly), and spouse/child worries.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it isn't permanent. But one question. Do you go around trying to demean someone for having another problem, let's say IBS or other unpleasant stomach issues? To their face? You may wake up in pain, but what about the person who missed an important flight to an interview because they're stuck on the porcelain throne?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
What's the old joke ...

If I had a dollar for every time a babyboomer complained about my generation, I'd have enough money to buy a house in the market they ruined.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm the problem now? Your list gets bigger by the second doesn't it?

"What is wrong with me is hardly a thought in the back of my head".priceless. This rant is the most emotional outcry I have seen on ATS in a while, with very clear similarities between the depressed/schizophrenia type threads.

You are assuming that a mortgage is nothing. Experience it then get back to us. You have no kids in school and feel the world is againgst you although you have the means to rectify your situation and do nothing about it, instead you write a thread complaining about people with more worries than yourself

Again....bit of perspective needed. You have your health remember.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: misterhistory

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Sorry to hear that. Hope it isn't permanent. But one question. Do you go around trying to demean someone for having another problem, let's say IBS or other unpleasant stomach issues? To their face? You may wake up in pain, but what about the person who missed an important flight to an interview because they're stuck on the porcelain throne?

Thank you. And, for the record, I was not the one that posted a whiny rant on here about how he was being picked on at work about his "not so hard" life. I provided a bit more perspective than you even considered. So, until you have personally experienced all these things, THEN come back and say that your current situation is a hard life, otherwise it is simply someone whining.

That is my opinion, my "old man" opinion. An opinion that has been earned through hard knocks and many decades on this unforgiving planet.

edit on 6/8/2016 by Krakatoa because: fixed the quoting

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'd like to put in a word for the OP.

My home situation was intolerable and I left at age 16. I really related to the rant it rattled a few old wounds.

I had a lot of stick as a teenager from middle-aged people who couldn't see how hard things were for me. They wouldn't have been aware, or interested, that I was hungry or lonely or having difficulty finding my feet with no support in the world.

As we grow older our problems change - each age seems to bring a different set. When I was in a damp bedsit with no foreseeable way out I'd look at older people with their homes and families and wonder how any of them might have been envious enough of me to pick on me the way they did. I didn't realise that it was probably my youth that was bugging them. How they could see potential in my life that was hidden from me.

The OP is dealing with problems that come with their age and those problems are as difficult for him / her to deal with as ill health and paying off mortgages and supporting a family are to others.

The OP sounds so stressed and is probably finding it hard to relate to anything or anyone other than their own immediate situation. Not that I can speak for another person, of course.

But I do recognise someone at the end of their tether. If this is the only place they have to get that little lot off their chest then I hope it's helped. I wouldn't have minded somewhere like ATS on many occasions in my life.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
You say it like IBS is rare. It's very common.
My whole family have it.
I'm waiting for the " I tore a ligament in my knee" next.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
To answer your point bluntly....yes mortgage is more stressful/life consuming than what you have stated. And youth does have it easier today. Only when you get older and have kids of your own will you understand his frustration, especially if you bring the whinging to work.

That doesn't make any sense!

If having a mortgage and kids was seriously the huge burden you claim it is, then why does the majority of society strive for it?

The op is obviously kind of whining, but he also makes a very valid point... No ones forced to have kids and a mortgage, they chose it. It makes no sense to claim others have it easier simply because they don't have what you desired in the first place....actually, its out right moronic.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

All good points, but the OP is simply complaining and not doing anything about it.

There are two types of people in this world, those that complain and place all the blame on others in this life, and those that recognize that something needs to be done for things to improve.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

You have it so easy.

Wait until you buy your own home. With your student loans to repay AND real life bills...you'll then understand what he meant.

Your dad sounds like a douchball by the way.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join