It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is Everyone So Mean?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I never knew what mean was until I switched from private school to public school. I did that at 12 years old and the experience was traumatic , Im not at all implying any skin color issue either. I often wondered if some of the kids were raised by wild animals.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
When I see those grammar and spelling nazi's, and the smarter than thou's, or the rude reply's, I just ignore it. I dont respond.

*Nazis, *thous, *replies *don't

...sorry, I am attracted to irony like a magnet

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: SargonThrall

Im ignoring you now. lol

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MEDIKATED

I often wondered if some of the kids were raised by wild animals.

hey - i was raised by wild animals - it taught me numerous invaluable life skills :

poo flinging
bare handed dismemberment of my enemies
differential calculus
lice picking
etc etc etc

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I guess it's the political climate right now?

This kind of behavior always seems to rise at times of presidential elections, but the world being somewhat in the midst of a major change (similar to the industrial revolution, I think) is increasing the chaotic feeling.

It seemed to just be the Americans, but in the last couple of weeks, I am seeing more of that on my expat forums, with the brits who are feeling destabilized over the whole brexit issue, and the french with our huge strike on labor reforms are causing everyone to debate and question where we're going and reviewing long held cultural values.

Change is disturbing for humans.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I know what you mean. Usually when a person becomes passive-aggressive or plain out aggressive with me. It tells me they are having difficulty. So they have to act that way to make themselves feel better. Sometimes it just a person having behavior problems because they're easily swayed by there emotions then there logic.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MoreInterior

It's easy to be a bully with a keyboard. Tie that in with all the pent up anger, frustration, repression and emasculation that is everyday life in the 21st century and you have a bunch of people who take pleasure at taking swipes just for fun. They do it because they can. I am not justifying it, but its just a part of the world we live in now.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoreInterior

The question is, do we really want cooperation?

No, they want to dominate.

They may feel powerless in their life and helpless to effect any change in the world especially in a meaningful way that would benefit them or those around them.

It's the same as when you have someone who abuses you because they wield more power over you and your life than you do. Or at least it feels that way. What does that person eventually end up doing??? They abuse those who they have power over in a similar way. Like their kids or wife or whatever.

It's because they aren't in a position to change the abuse they are getting and so they continue that same abusive pattern down the line of power.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

It's just one of those breaking points in history. The world has gone crazy. The west is in shambles, half the people see it, and the other half is encouraging. I have a feeling we are going to be in a Hutu and Tutsi situation. Sometimes there is no middle ground in humanity, and sometimes nature just has to take it's course. We are just upright animals after all. While the slaves at the bottom fight, the elites at the top are laughing at us from their ivory thrones.

I have a feeling that this time around things are not going to end well.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Maybe people are just being honest?

I don't think social media is all to blame, I mean - this is a forum, people debate things.

Debates can often times be confrontational.

I had this out with someone in another thread not long ago, it went a little like this:

OP: I believe this!
Other people: We disagree, here's why...
OP: I doubt you'd say that to a persons face...only doing it because you're online!

No...doing it because this is a forum where such debates take place. I get the impression some folk would prefer this:

OP: I believe this!
Other people: o 0 ( We believe otherwise, but lest we be accused of being keyboard warriors, best either say nothing or pretend we agree) ....

It's true, I don't go around being confrontational in real life, that's stupid. Does anyone? I've met such people, they're often known as assholes.

But this is a forum specifically designed for debate, your views will and should be challenged if someone disagrees.

I also respond to positive threads and am nice...but I respond negatively to some threads for one simple reason...I'm passionate about some issues.

It seems as through some people are trying to control what some other people think and say...

Just wanted to clarify, I'm talking specifically about forums like ATS. In real life I've noticed no difference in how mean people are, some are and some are not.

I don't think I'm a mean person, I sometimes bite my tongue because I know my opinions may potentially offend, that's just good manners. There's a time and place for confrontation, argument and debate. ATS is one of those places...you have to pick your moments.

But I won't be chastised for disagreeing with anyone here on ATS...I don't come here expecting everyone will agree with me nor do I take it to heart when someone doesn't. And people have been mean, or tried to be mean to me, it's water off a ducks back in the end.

If I was so sensitive I'd have given up on ATS within a few days of joining.
edit on 10-6-2016 by samerulesapply because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2016 by samerulesapply because: Freudian slip

edit on 10-6-2016 by samerulesapply because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Q: Why Is Everyone So Mean?

A: They are scared.

Was that so hard? Have you learned nothing in this life?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Well my reckoning is that good facts are attacked by people who are being controlled using extremely low frequencies, this is a common phenomena that coincides with the rollout of WiFi technology

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

People take things too seriously now.

We have a generation(s) that refuse to laugh at themselves.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Q: Why Is Everyone So Mean?

A: They are scared.

Was that so hard? Have you learned nothing in this life?

People all around the world are confused, confusion leads to being afraid among other things. In Yoga we are told the intellect(Mind and thoughts) is the inferior part of consciousness not able to percieve much of reality, primarily meant as a practical tool for surviving and not as a way to relate to life in all aspects, when that happens the mind becomes easily overloaded with information/confused and ego will be the dominant force since the function of mind is based on survival and ego is the most primitive/basic part of it, unhappiness is soon to follow and much of the world is unfortunately under this curse and not even aware of it.

So, Why is Everyone so mean, from family members to politician? My answer would be, because people pay too much attention to their thoughts(mind) and are identified with the feelings generated by thoughts thus hurt everytime someone challenges their identity/feelings, there is little self- distance from the perceived personality(Which is a construction of thoughts and feelings).. In fact the word personality is derived from the latin word ''persona'' which means to carry a mask.

The solution to the chaos created by mind would be to take a step back and observe thoughts rather than identify with them, empty the mind of thoughts and the body of negative feelings, calm the storm so to speak and in time experience blissfullness as a natural consequence. When people realize they are their own worst enemy and stop blaming everything outside of themselves for their problems they will learn that no matter how hard life is, no matter how mean someone is there was always peace within, this awereness can literally heal worlds.
edit on 12-6-2016 by Omnik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Ego . Fear .

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoreInterior
Seriously, why is everyone at each other's throats? Every thread is full of people ripping each other apart, and this behavior isn't limited to ATS by a long shot. How does anyone expect progress of any kind when listening to and considering opposing views would mean not being bothered by outright insults and accusations?

It's not constructive to call people snowflakes or rednecks.
It doesn't benefit anyone to put down someone's race, or to call someone who didn't do that a racist.

We all feel passionately about our world. The issues we are dealing with are huge. They're bigger than any one person, any minority, any majority. Wouldn't it be wiser to think of each other as part of our own world, as opposed to a threat to it, and start communications from there?

Even if you are of the strong opinion that someone is stupid, mentally ill, culturally inferior, etc., you do not gain a thing by flouting it. Instead, you ensure that those people will never hear you out. And, yet again, the atmosphere becomes one where cooperation has exactly zero chance of happening.

The question is, do we really want cooperation?

No. They want to be right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join