It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is Everyone So Mean?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LauGhing0ne

Right! lol

And while social media can be an anger pillow for some....lets be honest... how many truly nice people go off on people even on the net IF they are striving to be positive and nice? Characters should remain the same even behind closed doors or on the internet.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Sad but a lot of MODs here behave in the very way the OP discribes. If people see MODs doing it then they will follow

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: imod02

That's a cop out. WE are responsible for our actions, our attitude, our "meanness" and our words. Being mean cannot be blamed on the mods. Sorry.

If people followed the example of the mods here, ATS would actually be VERY worthwhile.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras
a reply to: MoreInterior

You assume much OP.

The left isn't interested in debate, they will silence all opposition with shaming, and when that fails violence.

Reminds me of many other times the tolerant left did the same, leading up to killing and jailing anyone who disagrees with their rhetoric.

The op isn't assuming anything. They've made an observation. You're assuming the "left" is the entire problem, maybe the left is fighting back, because the "right" is at least half the problem.

Every time someone bitches about the "left", they're using it as an insult, insulting every liberal leaning person outside of the USA, because different countries have different ideas of "left", or liberal.

The op is correct. People are getting progressively worse, seemingly wanting to be assholes. It gets worse every month it seems.

The division is getting ridiculous- left, right, black, white, gay, straight, rich, poor, religions, 57 different genders (wtf), etc - it shouldn't all be politicized. The powers that be, or the media (the US media) has succeeded in getting the masses fighting, divided we all fall.....🙄

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
Sad but a lot of MODs here behave in the very way the OP discribes. If people see MODs doing it then they will follow

You mean a member here, who also happens to be a moderator, disagreed with you, and was candid with you about it? That's terrible!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
A man traveled the world looking for the secret of happness and contenment of the soul, after 10 years he still had not found it. But then he heard of this old man who lives high up in a mountian range who has the answer. So the man traveled to the mountian and found the old man, as he stood infrount of the old man he asked
"Sir I have traveled the world for 10 years looking for the answer how to have happness and contentment of my soul, please tell me"
The old man looked at him and said "never fight or disagree"
"NO NO screams the man this cannot be the answer"
The old man looks at him and says
"you are right my son"

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

It seems to me that a lot of folks these days are justifying bieng rude and insulting by claiming that political correctness has gone mad when in fact they just enjoy bieng an arse and insulting people as they lack the ability to formulate a winning argument whilst remaining civil.

Bless you.

I agree. Civility has been lumped into some sort of partisanship battle along with PC, and its just nuts. Now being rude is somehow a sign of freedom and liberty or something? It makes no sense.

- AB

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Everyone? Come on now, everyone?

Maybe you're reading or posting on the wrong thread?

I've learned to only dip my fin in a new post, or check out the profiles first, or just scan the "flavor" of the thing. And something new and against my tempted curiosity, regarding a thread: if in doubt, I just move on. Of course, having said that, I just put myself in an odd position, as I really do need to move on!

Keep looking for positive posts...not Pollyanna positive, but something that makes the moment worth the expenditure of it. And if you can't find any, then write one yourself. And with a wince, I didn't mean that the way it sounds. I meant it sincerely, as we could use a few around here.

Fishy

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: imod02

Sorry, that's a little deep for me. I'm afraid I don't get the point.

But disagreement is not the same as "being mean".

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
You are right my son

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I think a lot of people are frustrated at their lack of control in a changing world - particularly the wrinkly members who dislike things that are unfamiliar from the myopic world they grew up in.

That and obnoxious behavior nets a lot of stars. Psychological validation, indeed!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Dear MoreInterior, the mean people here on ATS only have the power that you give them, refuse to give them the power and they return to what they are. What are they? you may ask, well it up to each of then to go look in the mirror and ask themselfs "would I write this if everyone knew who I am"

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: SargonThrall
I think a lot of people are frustrated at their lack of control in a changing world - particularly the wrinkly members who dislike things that are unfamiliar from the myopic world they grew up in.

That and obnoxious behavior nets a lot of stars. Psychological validation, indeed!

Thank you a bit non PC but very well said

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Part of the problem is that there literally is a sect of society who truly believes that all humans are a threat to our world. How do you communicate with that type of belief without there being frustrations expressed on both sides?

I'm going to comment to you like I did to another similar post on this topic (and there are way too many posts on this topic, btw): It's not always that someone is being mean, but often that 'being mean' is a misinterpreted conclusion on the part of the reader.

I'm not necessarily blessed with what someone would call an over-abundance of tact--I speak my mind, I try to do it succinctly, and I do it without hesitation. There are many people who really just cannot understand that approach to discussion and consider me a mean individual, yet if they knew me on a personal level, they'd realize that I'm probably one of the kindest and most generous people that they will ever know.

I get your examples of name-calling and whatnot, but really, that's just immaturity more than meanness, IMO...that, or a lack of education and ability to have a meaningful conversation. It reflects someone's inability to have a mature conversation, so they resort to name-calling. But, honestly, sometimes the shoe will fit, so in that case, is it mean, or just reality?

Hurt feelings are far too big a problem on social media--in my last response to a similar topic, I referenced my aunt getting her feelings hurt because I put a meme that she posted into proper context. She literally threw a hissy fit and asked why I had to ruin her good feelings. Hell...excuse me for trying to reduce the ignorance in her interpretation. And she wasn't mad that I did it, but she was mad that it ruined her feelings about the matter.

Too much internet communication is based mostly on subjective feeling and little is based on arguing points based on facts, or studies, or polls, or informative links. In my opinion, people need to retrain themselves to discuss and argue based on more fact than feeling, and be ready and able to back up said facts with proof. Otherwise, if they cannot, they may just get labeled "ignorant" by me and others (and I'm not immune to ignorance, either), and if the shoe fits, hurt feelings shouldn't matter at that point.

I think we all need to revert to the old adage of 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me,' otherwise we really have become a collective of racist redneck snowflakes who are mentally ill, culturally inferior, and just plain stupid.

edit on 8-6-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I find the use of the latest fad terms, is because you actually have nothing relevant left to say.

People are very bored.

First world problems.
edit on 8-6-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
My friends are so distressed
And standing on the brink of emptiness
No words I know of to express
This emptiness

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
My friends are so distressed
And standing on the brink of emptiness
No words I know of to express
This emptiness

Emptness is a wonderful thing, for you can fill it as you wish

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Human beings are emotional creatures. Even the best of us sometimes lose control of our emotions...especially when someone attacks something important to us. I try not to take the names personally. After all, it doesn't mean anything at the end of the day what someone on the internet thinks of you.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I think I need to get back to this thread.

Folks could guess my 'stock answer #1' anyway.

There are some good replies already.

imho, there are several basic reasons--at least 3-4. Will ponder and try and return later today or in the week.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join