It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is Everyone So Mean?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Seriously, why is everyone at each other's throats? Every thread is full of people ripping each other apart, and this behavior isn't limited to ATS by a long shot. How does anyone expect progress of any kind when listening to and considering opposing views would mean not being bothered by outright insults and accusations?

It's not constructive to call people snowflakes or rednecks.
It doesn't benefit anyone to put down someone's race, or to call someone who didn't do that a racist.

We all feel passionately about our world. The issues we are dealing with are huge. They're bigger than any one person, any minority, any majority. Wouldn't it be wiser to think of each other as part of our own world, as opposed to a threat to it, and start communications from there?

Even if you are of the strong opinion that someone is stupid, mentally ill, culturally inferior, etc., you do not gain a thing by flouting it. Instead, you ensure that those people will never hear you out. And, yet again, the atmosphere becomes one where cooperation has exactly zero chance of happening.

The question is, do we really want cooperation?

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Why dont you just shut up you worthless, whiny, douchey, left wing, fascist, redneck snowflake

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MoreInterior

Short answer is people that are mean or derogatory all the time if not most of the time are unhappy with them self.

They are angry and jealous people who need self help or professional counseling. lol

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

It seems to me that a lot of folks these days are justifying bieng rude and insulting by claiming that political correctness has gone mad when in fact they just enjoy bieng an arse and insulting people as they lack the ability to formulate a winning argument whilst remaining civil.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Two words: Social Media.

The distance and anonymity make it oh-so-easy to say something you would never say to someone's face. Then, once that becomes second nature, it's no surprise when it bleeds over into real life.

We've become desensitized to each others humanity.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Because Obama!!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
It's a open platform for experimental sadism.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Your just being mean not embracing negativity. It's the future.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I wondered the same. And upon looking at it further, I have come to believe that it is the snowball effect. Because so many people believe that they are being pushed into being nice, that they are pushing back. And as you said, it is not just isolated..it is rampant within society and also on the web.

Like if you are told you can no longer eat bacon, you will constantly have the thought on your mind that you want bacon. ( Now I want bacon...)

Societal hardships also having a huge impact on people's emotions and where,when, and how they choose/feel safe to lash out or release them.

Then, there are people who just enjoy being an arse.. as Nonspecific said.

These are just guesses and personal observations though.. may not be the real reasons why or what other people see.

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
As another poster said,,it's because they are unhappy with themselves.

I don't think they are being nasty on purpose but do think it helps them cope with the world somehow?

On the other hand maybe they do mean it for self satisfaction or just the way they are in everyday life,, not sure.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
When in real life you can't complain at your wife you cant complain at your boss you cant tell your stupid kids how dumb you think they are so you have to go online and do it in a faceless medium.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
When in real life you can't complain at your wife you cant complain at your boss you cant tell your stupid kids how dumb you think they are so you have to go online and do it in a faceless medium.

Lol could be true, especially the wife and boss situation.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

You assume much OP.

The left isn't interested in debate, they will silence all opposition with shaming, and when that fails violence.

Reminds me of many other times the tolerant left did the same, leading up to killing and jailing anyone who disagrees with their rhetoric.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ

Short answer is people that are mean or derogatory all the time if not most of the time are unhappy with them self.

They are angry and jealous people who need self help or professional counseling. lol

I know a few in this forum

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: blend57

Like if you are told you can no longer eat bacon, you will constantly have the thought on your mind that you want bacon. ( Now I want bacon...)

Mindblowing analogy there, mind. blowing.

(I couldn't help myself)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Great questions! Being mean today seems like something people wear as a badge of honor. Something they're proud of. I agree with MamaJ - they're unhappy (or fearful). And nonsepcific hit the nail on the head. People like being rude and insulting and can blame it on "political correctness". I find that amusing.

And as Sargeras shows, sometimes it's just a chance to take a political jab at one side or the other. LOL!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Is ok.. lol.

Wasn't supposed to be mind blowing.. It was supposed to be simple. But I get it.

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I am just curious to know how old you are and how long you have been using the internet. I first logged on at about age 11 in 1996. Virtually all AOL chat rooms and independent BB forums were noting but slanderous, insulting, profane, name calling filth laden congregations.

like kosmicjack said, a screen far far away from real consequences easily brings out the worst in people. Like the idiots that threaten they are 6'6" 300 lbs in a competitive video game and will "kick your ass" if they see you in real life

If you ask me, the internet has actually become more polite since I have been on in 1996. Many media sites actually police their comments sections for instance, although much is still allowed to slide.

A screen turns everyone into a massive MMA fighter with the ability to kick anyone's ass so they will be as rude as they want.

Problem is not new at all, not even close.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I quit smoking on Sunday.
That is a pretty good reason to be mean.
I am trying to be really nice though.
At work this morning, to took the the time to have a conversation with a secretary that I simply can't stand to be in the same room with... I am overcompensating in an effort to not be a mean bastard.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Two words: Social Media.

The distance and anonymity make it oh-so-easy to say something you would never say to someone's face. Then, once that becomes second nature, it's no surprise when it bleeds over into real life.

We've become desensitized to each others humanity.

Correct. Social media has allowed us all to say what we really think, and say it bluntly, without empathy. I personally like unbridled candor, because of its innate honesty, but if we lack empathy or tact, it loses it's "savor". I have recently been reading some of my own post history, and I could certainly use some work in this area. I don't try to come off mean, but it sure looks like I do at times, and I need to be more aware of it.

At the same time, religion and politics brings out the worst in people. It resonates at a level of primacy within us, and we suddenly become tribal. It's not pretty, but it has a very long history in our species.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join