It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Buying F/A-18 Super Hornets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I checked around and didn't see this posted yet. Feel free to move if I didn't place it properly.

Liberals Planning to Buy Super Hornet

So from this article and a few others I have come across, it seems as though sources in DND and the liberal party are hinting that Canada is ditching the F35 (for now) and going for the F/A-18 Super Hornets as an temporary solution to "fill the gap" for thr NATO and NORAD roles Canada is upheld to. Similar to what Australia did when they were waiting for their F35's. Personally, I feel this is a better option as Canada should be focused on air defense, not offense, which the F35 is primarily designed for. I suppose the F35 fills the NATO role and the F/A-18SH fills the NORAD role?

Although nothing is written in stone with this, I am a bit surprised they are dumping their election promise of an open and transparent competition to select a replacement for the CF-18's. From the sound of this they are just doing the same thing the Harper gov't did, just with a cheaper, proven aircraft.

Those are my thoughts, what does ATS think?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

Yea ,picked this up the other day on CBC . Lib's or Con's seem to play the same game .No need to tender or bid .I think Justin might need a few extra $$ to pay for the second nanny ....just saying .

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

It wouldn't surprise me. Justin is as much of a puppet as the rest of them. I'm positive the only reason Harper hung on to he F35 was the fact that someone was stuffing his pockets full. Yet no journalists in this country would EVER look into that. God forbid someone asked some real questions around here.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The problem is that they swore they would kill the F-35 for Canada, from before the election. Well when it came time to redo the program they realized they couldn't legally prevent Lockheed from re submitting it for bid. And if it was the best for their requirements, they were painted into a corner.

So they're buying something "in the meantime", until they can have their bid later, which will be when there is a new government by the time they have the money to run the program.

It's just a way around bidding the program and looking like idiots.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I say bring back the Avro and lets do it ourselves .Or get Bombardier to give it a try .That F35 thing is still just a thing that might not be at the end of the day . Even drones for northern surveillance would make much more sense .

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah, typical politics. Not like the Conservatives handled it any better, but it wasn't the most intelligent promise to make. Again, typical politics. Say anything to get the job.

As awesome as these jets are, I would rather see the money better spent on things like education, health care and social services and not on war machines that keep the bankers happy. But what do I know?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I liked the idea of restarting the F-22 line and getting into those along with the F-35, but I can't see it happening.

At this point the Super Hornet isn't a bad choice in the interim, as our CF-18's are getting pretty tired.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

I say bring back the Avro and lets do it ourselves .Or get Bombardier to give it a try .That F35 thing is still just a thing that might not be at the end of the day . Even drones for northern surveillance would make much more sense .

Apparently the Harper gov't looked into it (how hard of a look they gave I'm not sure). They concluded that it wasn't cost effective, again I'm not so sure about that. Compared to the F35 program costs, really I couldn't see it costing more. However where do you start? The majority of the brains behind the Arrow are either ripe in old age or dead. Indeed newer technology could be applied in terms of materials and systems. But why bother? The name of the game in fighter duals is either stealth, maneuverability or both. The arrow has speed, and that's about it. Not that it wouldn't perform but I don't think it could really compete against a T50 or even an Su35. It would likely be more comparable to the MiG31...which is still updated, but indeed on the ancient side of things.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see an Advanced Arrow, but I think that ship sailed about 50+ years ago.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: LeviB

I don't believe the US has ANY interest in exporting the F-22....ever. I believe the reason to restart production was to give the US more F-22's. Perhaps remove more F-15/16's?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Can't look into nothing.

Pretty pictures are nice, but hardly a 'project' worth analyzing.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
These two posts are what made me think of it. I can't see F-22's being anywhere but with the USAF either, to be honest.

originally posted by: Bfirez
a reply to: nwtrucker

The F22 fills the role better than the F35 for many of those nations. Canada and Australia in particular. So how does the foreign sale work though with the current embargo. IIRC congress made it illegal to export the 22

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Bfirez

Without Congress repealing the law it doesn't. If they repeal it then either they go through the FMS office and get massive discounts subsidized by us, or straight to Lockheed and buy a small number that they can afford at whatever price they negotiate.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

The problem with the Rhino is that you're going to have to do this all over again sooner rather than later. It's no spring chicken either.
edit on 6/8/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Fair enough. I simply can't see the US sharing their F-22's though. The fact they made it law not to export definitely says something. But, then again, never says never I guess.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

There was talk that if they did restart production they would export them to specific allies to help alleviate costs. They're going to be a hard sell though because if they do, the flyaway cost is going to be high.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Throwing the baby out with the bath water needs lots of thought especially with the Arrow but even the Russians think their su25 is worth a remake .

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic
a reply to: the2ofusr1

It wouldn't surprise me. Justin is as much of a puppet as the rest of them. I'm positive the only reason Harper hung on to he F35 was the fact that someone was stuffing his pockets full. Yet no journalists in this country would EVER look into that. God forbid someone asked some real questions around here.

Riiiiiight. Because the media was SO kind to Harper.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Why am i not surprised that Zaphod knows Canadian politics...at as far they connect to an airplane.

One of the reasons I was personally keen on the F-35 in Canada was the opportunity to establish a maintenance depot or sub-assembly work like the Italians are doing.

It would have allowed Bombardier a chance to gain experience in building advanced aircraft. The technological transfer would have helped to ramp up our aviation industry.

NO one ever pauses to think that HARPER's job was to pause and think long term.

I think CANADA missed a great opportunity.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SmilingROB

Only time I give a damn about politics is how it's going to screw aircraft to hell and back.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
How about applying what they learnt with the F35 and apply it to new build legacy fleet designs or is the fleet looking ahead at new cleansheet designs..Remember a lot of what we have now was done in the early 90,s..

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Which is how most of us feel about politics I bet.

Go Rhino's (second line)

new topics

top topics

join