It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly half of DC employers have laid off workers, reduced hours due to min. wage hikes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I would say anyone who has ever worked a thirteen hour shift at a fast food joint would be justified in saying you haven't got a clue what you are talking about on that front sir.

And with regard to the detriment of businesses, I am willing to bet all the internets in the land, that the owners and shareholders of the businesses which have cut the most hours, are also fantastically overpaid for their low skilled positions, many of whom work by going to golf courses and spas and making the occasional phone call. Many of the businesses with the most alarming cuts, are over paying their directors and executives, refusing to make those individuals take a pay cut, even though it is not the suits who are producing the products, or doing any hard labour at all.

Labour must always come at a premium, it must never be cheap, and the balance must be altered so that the working goons get to live off their efforts, not merely survive on them. It must never be the case that an individual has to work three jobs at a total of nearly twenty hours a day, just to make enough to be able to afford to live in their god damn automobile.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I would say anyone who has ever worked a thirteen hour shift at a fast food joint would be justified in saying you haven't got a clue what you are talking about on that front sir.

BS. I've worked plenty of service jobs. It's not rocket surgery.

And with regard to the detriment of businesses, I am willing to bet all the internets in the land, that the owners and shareholders of the businesses which have cut the most hours, are also fantastically overpaid for their low skilled positions, many of whom work by going to golf courses and spas and making the occasional phone call.

Said like someone who;s never run a business and has ZERO clue what it takes to do so.

Many of the businesses with the most alarming cuts, are over paying their directors and executives, refusing to make those individuals take a pay cut, even though it is not the suits who are producing the products, or doing any hard labour at all.

It doesn't matter who's digging the hole. No one starts a business so they can pay out all their profit to employees. That isn't what a business is for.

It must never be the case that an individual has to work three jobs at a total of nearly twenty hours a day, just to make enough to be able to afford to live in their god damn automobile.

This is just a hyperbolic mess that I can't even think of where to start...

Start a business. Brick and mortar. Then come tell me how easy it is.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Probably grounds for wrongful dismissal suit.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I run a locksmith shop.

Its very difficult.

However, I am a class of man who WORKS for his money, so I do not sit in boardrooms, or do the majority of work on my cellphone or by schmoozing with the damned mayor, like most of the tycoon bastards who will be cutting jobs at floor level in DC. I work like a man, because I am one, and I take my licks. I can't afford to employ anyone at the moment, because business is slow. In short, I run, manage, and operate the services my company offers to the customer myself. Until I can afford to pay someone to take over the nonsense (the easy bit, like making calls, doing spreadsheets, ordering stock, and so on) I will be doing it all myself.

However, I will not employ anyone until I can afford to pay them, and myself, enough to live on properly. I will not be taking on part timers, I will not be taking on apprentices and paying them in peanuts and bagels. I will, when the time comes, be employing full time staff at a rate of pay which matches or beats inflation, or not at all, because I believe in a fair screw for everyone, not in screwing everyone else and living off the proceeds.

In short, there are a lot of people in DC who shouldn't be allowed to manage a packet of bloody coffee without supervision from the sounds of things, leave alone an entire business. They obviously lack the bottle, skill, or stamina for it. Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Bravo.

I was always the same way doing cabinet install. If you weren't worth at least 15 an hour there was no use for you. Even if it's just cleaning up scraps I needed to have trustworthy people since I was in people's homes. I payed people of any nationality a fair wage to help. Mostly I used partners who got the same pay. It's just not worth having bad help and morally it's not right to take advantage of people. Essentially that is what not paying somebody a living wage is. Your taking advantage of the person desperate enough to work well below their worth.

You never know what stupid thing politicians will do to ruin the economy for a few years. Thats when people really suffer with min wage. When you have engineers working at MC D getting min wage or a poverty level wage.

It's complicated as to how to raise min wage however. It should have been steady increases and the cpi isn't accurate to judge inflation. Now we are at a serious dilema. One solution I keep spouting off is off setting business taxes for the new labour cost.
edit on 9-6-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   

You sir, are the type of businessman america use to produce.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Ok. We will pretend that I am the stupid one and you don't know what I am talking about.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Alright...I'm not gonna play. Either form a coherent argument of some kind or leave me out of it.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

The profits are too damn high. Just one example, why do we still have EIC when corporations and businesses have the highest profits in 80 years?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

The profits are too damn high

Why is making a profit of any size wrong?

You still haven't answered that. Nor have you made a cogent argument as to why I should even consider such an idea as valid.
edit on 11 6 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I am really sick of stupid posters like you. I did not say "making a profit of any size is wrong". That mind manipulation is so out of date. People here are too smart for you. Bye.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
It is important to keep in mind the people responsible for this information is the Employment Policies Institute who exists to fight against increasing wages. They were fighting back when it went from $4.25 to $5.05 and are still fighting it now. Some how in the increases since companies have survived.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I am really sick of stupid posters like you. I did not say "making a profit of any size is wrong". That mind manipulation is so out of date. People here are too smart for you. Bye.

You haven't said anything at all. You remain obtuse and unwilling to qualify your statements.

And now you're outright name calling.

Classy.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tsubaki
a reply to: mobiusmale

Demand goes down when prices go up? Maybe in a textbook, but this is the real world, where the cost of houses, hell even renting an apartment keeps going up, year after year. Doesn't look like there's a lack of demand there.

I'm don't particularly feel raising the minimum wage is the answer, but something has to be addressed somewhere.

The cost of housing rising has everything to do with the fed keeping interest rates artificially low for the last two decades. It is what caused the meltdown in 2008, and is about to cause a depression, deep recession at best.

Their desire to try and overpower the free market with strongman manipulation is what is going to bring the world economy down soon.

The interest rates being held down has encouraged extreme over borrowing for governments businesses and individuals. Despite what anyone tells you debt does matter - a lot. There are going to be a hell of a lot of bankruptcy's soon, including governments.

If you are dumb enough to believe that the stock market and home prices always go up, that pensions and government payouts are safe you are about to be in for a very rude awakening.

The increase of minimum wage isn't going to mean to much once the dollar starts devaluing.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join