It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly half of DC employers have laid off workers, reduced hours due to min. wage hikes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Nice OP, but its a lost cause. The "loonie left" have already discounted any facts or evidence to the contrary for their proposition. It's kinda like if Economics were a science, this issue is for them, "settled science" like man made global warming is settled science...........so there's nothing to discuss. $15.00 an hour is to be the new minimum wage, simple as that.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: luthier

If they would stop taxing small manufacturers out of business this wouldnt be an issue. Issue if the imposed import tariffs on imports equal to that of the rest of the world 20-30%.

I agree its ludicrous. However it's all part of the whole system. If you look at and stand back it's a real eye opener to see it's being done to benefit certain people. Why do we have such high corporate taxes? Thats rediculous even for the big guys. If we need revanue let the shareholders start holding these people accountable.....oh wait they already completed trip the market and public policy so they don't have much competition.

It's crazy that it's easier to start a business in Ireland the us. Yet I can get public healthcare.....what a world. While we fight about bathrooms and Jesus the Cincinnati shuffle is chaffing everyone's ass

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

It's stupid isn't it.

The US is turning into Venezuela. We live in a country where working full time pays less than welfare benefits.

That's not the businesses fault either it's the fault of government for making running a business so expensive that they can't pay employees anymore.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The Looney left? They are the same as the Looney right.

And they both worked together to fleece the country. Nixon started much of the mess with unfair trade deals and lobby power has created an oligarchy which has set up anticompetition zones in the market for large corperations.

If you believe in a free market you should be a lot more pissed about the Looney right has done.

The Looney left is your enemy apparently. So you can expect that lunatic behaviour from them. I guess what you seem to miss is the right had everything to do with unfair competition in thr market.

They can offset corporate taxes for min wage growth correct?

CEO's can take higher personal taxes to lower corporate taxes right? Wouldn't that provide more job growth. It sure did in Ireland.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Im pretty sure welfare benefits are way less

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Well...its probably more complicated. We have the acceleration of automation erasing people jobs as well.

Also big business and gov are the same. Basically what a senator does all day is call big bussiness owners and ask for donations. Seriously. That is actually the majority of their week.

So some lucky big businesses have bought the us gov.

The laws that make it hard to start a bussiness directly benefit the established big business full of fat cats taking away corporate profit with inflated wages.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

This country is run by corporations. Its the very wealthy top 20% pulling all the strings.

By pulling strings I mean they are paying people in political office to make decisions such as denying Obamacare, not expanding Medicaid, etc.

Why would a politician deny affordable healthcare for all?...the answer: for money

THey may play some words on it, we do not want to be forced, blah blah blah and the ignorant mis-informed voters (yes there are lots of them) buy it, but its all for money, to make the rich richer.

Both sides (republican and democrat) are guilty, I believe one is more so than the other

Its all a puppet show

edit on 8-6-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

Not true for many states. Particularly the very liberal ones like MA.

Problem is unless we really make a break for space exploration there just isn't going to be the same job market as there was in the passed.

People may want to learn how to garden and take care of themselves. Most likely huge unemployment is in out future. The industrial age is over its the tech age where robots do the work.

Ultimately we made the whole thing up. I never saw a deer use an ATM.
edit on 8-6-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Not true for many states. Particularly the very liberal ones like MA.

I agree

And it never hurt anyone to be self-sufficient.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

free housing, 800 a month in cash, free medical, food stamps, tax benefits

add em all up

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

Okay, let's say you're right. People still lose jobs. So, congrats?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Wages just reflect supply and demand of a particular labor skill. Why this is such a hard concept for liberals to understand is mind boggling.

Jobs are a function of a business being profitable. The more profits a business can make, the more they are willing to invest in expansion which is what creates new jobs.

The problem with low skilled labor is that there is a lot of it available, so it depresses wages. This is one of the reasons that illegal immigration and legal immigration of low skilled persons is bad for Americans at the lower end of the wage scale. It is truly ironic that those who often support increased minimum wage also support open borders and are too ignorant to understand how the two are connected. I have yet to hear a Democrat / Progressive reconcile these two positions which are at odds with their platform.

What is also odd is that minimum wages originally were introduced really as a racist measure to keep minorities out of the work force as they would often work cheaper than white union labor.

Racist Origins of Minimum Wage

The American consumer generally does not want to pay higher prices. Therefore, businesses will simply look to cut hours or eliminate positions to compensate for their increased costs. What ultimately happens is that instead of employing say 10 people making $8/hr, the business will just employ say 5 people making $15/hr and look to other alternatives such as technology to increase productivity of the remaining workers. So the 5 who kept their jobs are making more money, but we also eliminated five good jobs as a result.

The other issue that supporters of these policies never bring up is that increasing the lowest wage actually would increase ALL WAGES. A poster above mentioned this fact. Those who are making say $15/hr now after gaining some skill will now be demanding say $20/hr or $25/hr. This causes further erosion of jobs even further up in the labor pool.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The only thing you got right was free...or socialized health care...but you get back to free or socialized health care if no one is paid enough or there are no group health benefits. Where are you going to go for health care...why the ER of course.
This is the reality for millions...a brushed aside problem by the fortunate few. Increased min wages won't solve the problem but unlivable wages doesn't do it either and just creates a segment of working poor that are even more dependent on a weak and bankrupt social welfare system.
Cheers,

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

What conservatives find so hard to understand is politicians on both sides many on the right have created anticompetition with unlevel trade tarifs, crony capitalism, taxes (yes conservative big bussiness wants then high to snuff out competition same as carbon taxing would do).

If you use slave labor and the cpi you can pretend inflation never happens and keep wages low. You also give grants and co tracts to all your buddies and allow them to write policy.

Maybe you should open up your eyes and see it's being done purposely by both sides as a big mutual backrub for all their friends.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

What conservatives find so hard to understand is politicians on both sides many on the right have created anticompetition with unlevel trade tarifs, crony capitalism, taxes (yes conservative big bussiness wants then high to snuff out competition same as carbon taxing would do).

If you use slave labor and the cpi you can pretend inflation never happens and keep wages low. You also give grants and co tracts to all your buddies and allow them to write policy.

Maybe you should open up your eyes and see it's being done purposely by both sides as a big mutual backrub for all their friends.

I don't disagree. Many on the right support illegal immigration because of the cheap labor source. This is one of the reasons Trump is so popular as that he has called out the establishment Republicans on this issue. Of course, this gets obfuscated in the media by the leftist trying to paint him as a racist. He is pretty much the only candidate that understands the American worker with our high standards of living even for the poorest among us cannot compete against workers in third world armpit countries who can survive on $2 a day.

All global trade does is create a middle class and raise the standard of living for those in the poorer countries while bringing down the American worker. This imbalance has to be addressed to save the lower and middle classes.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I find something very wrong with this statement:

"Many on the right support illegal immigration because of the cheap labor source."

Supporting a movement just so you can, in so many words, ABUSE them by not paying enough money for their services is crony.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Wages just reflect supply and demand of a particular labor skill.

Wages are effected by government invasiveness and poor trade policy more than anything.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

I find something very wrong with this statement:

"Many on the right support illegal immigration because of the cheap labor source."

Supporting a movement just so you can, in so many words, ABUSE them by not paying enough money for their services is crony.

Try reading the sentence immediately following... "This is one of the reasons Trump is so popular as that he has called out the establishment Republicans on this issue." Reading is fundamental.

The establishment Republicans are catering to their big business interests while on the other hand, the Leftist see these immigrants as a potential voter block (which is why the are so against Voter ID). Neither side is being honest.

Trump is the only candidate that is truly putting the American worker first. This is why so many blue collar Democrats are backing Trump as they understand the issue.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

He also wants to build a wall. Trump is saying whatever he can and using whoever he can to get his next conquest...to be president. Sorry you fell into his game.

He is not even a republican.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Sorry to get so snippy. Some conservatives are such team players they don't see what's going on.

I could never call myself a Republican because of the religeous right. I should call them the progressive right since they also believe in legislating everyone's behaviour.

We have Govenors in the south calling emergency sessions over bathroom stuff no one cares about. How much is a special session? Can't be cheap. And furthermore let it be. It's a non issue. I have an illness I could use canabis for but can't in my state. They won't put it in ballot because it will pass. Yet these guys call sessions over a phone call from a religious parent with a kid in a public school. (I also think you should get vouchers if you want your kid going to a different school at least your prop tax.

It's just a crap show for classical liberals. The conservatives are really only social conservatives and the liberals are very inneffective.

A moderate like trump gets a lot of support from people sick of the Republican party who are moderate. Hopefully the party wakes up. The dems seem to be fully out of any strong voices of reason. I like Bernie in the sense he would be unable to legislate with Congress but also rasing awareness of the serious money power problem in politics. But his platform is rediculous for something other than a small wealthy homogenous township or small state.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join