It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 2,000-year-old ‘lost’ city found off the Coast of Africa:

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: username74
a reply to: username74

and we should probably read this
en.wikipedia.org...

On the coast of England, the coastline has retreated inland by three miles over 500+ years. There are maps that show country roads and villages that no longer exist. Whenever there are severe storms that can disintegrate up to 20 meters of cliffs in places.

Extrapolate that over 2000 years and the coastline of any African country could have retreated by 12 miles. That would eliminate any large city.

I was told a story by a 80 something year old lady where i once stayed , She pointed way way out to sea and said , when she was a girl they farmed out there .

I asked people of a similar age around the village of this and it appears the lady was telling the truth about how far the sea had moved in that 70 + years

There's are home owners who have lost 50 meter gardens in a single storm. That's happened in Australia, Florida and Europe. Just look at the devastation that a single hurricane can do. One tsunami can wipe out an entire coastline for hundreds of miles. Up until the 1960's we didn't know that hurricanes were brewing unless there were ships out there.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Amazing! Thanks for posting! I look forward to more discovers and all the goodies they will find on the ocean floor!

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: MamaJ
a reply to: Spider879

This is a really cool story and I am eager to know more. Specifically a question that keeps running through my mind is...possibly naive on my part but I will ask anyway...

How does this find completely alter our understanding of history or how could it?

Look at it this way Rhapta is kinda like finding the legendary city of Atlantis it was mentioned by the Greco Romans as a rich and cosmopolitan city where traders from their known world sought out exotic goods, and if the network was the same as it were for the middle age Swahili states then yeah it's a big deal.

This is what the medieval trade network looked like you would have Cinnamon coming from as far away as Malaysia, spices from India, gold and Ivory from mainland Africa Roman ships would have docked there for instance, then you'd have biological and cultural exchanges at an even earlier date than previously expected this far south.

& all the while the ancient aussies were left to their own devices & thus began their kick ass edness sporting abilities !!

<< 1  2   >>

join