It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Perplexing Questions That I Have Not Been Able To Provide An Acceptable Answer To. Can You?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: rukia

It seems to me that we can give credit to a lot of improvements in society due to science...

and not so much the bible

said big bang might just be a theory but at least its logical...

as opposed to "poof" humans/earth

I would have to say that for at least 1000 years the bible shaped and/or was forced to shape the belief systems of the population before some courageous individuals like Galileo, Cupernicus, Newton to name a few right up to now with people like Hawkings where the tide has shifted from more of theological teaching (which still exists) to more of an acceptance of scientific theory, which seems to be gaining more and more of an accepted approach. I am still listening and learning. Peace !

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
It is not just a theory....

Scientific theory vs. mine/your theory
Totally different things.

Agreed1 as stated above. The best that I can come up wit is: WE just do not know right now the answer to these questions. WE continue to learn and discover new things every year that shake up previous paradigms for origin of life to the expansion of the universe.

Perhaps, we will learn something very new, totally alien to our current beliefs (pun intended), that will make both of these questions irrelevant. Something that we have never considered because we just have not found a new clue......but our species is definitely curious explorers. WE must continue to search, to learn, to understand, to grow and hopefully evolve into a species which is better than who we are now. Only time will tell. Peace

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: thenightisours

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: rukia

It seems to me that we can give credit to a lot of improvements in society due to science...

and not so much the bible

said big bang might just be a theory but at least its logical...

as opposed to "poof" humans/earth

I would have to say that for at least 1000 years the bible shaped and/or was forced to shape the belief systems of the population before some courageous individuals like Galileo, Cupernicus, Newton to name a few right up to now with people like Hawkings where the tide has shifted from more of theological teaching (which still exists) to more of an acceptance of scientific theory, which seems to be gaining more and more of an accepted approach. I am still listening and learning. Peace !

It is not just a theory....

Scientific theory vs. mine/your theory
Totally different things.

Agreed1 as stated above. The best that I can come up wit is: WE just do not know right now the answer to these questions. WE continue to learn and discover new things every year that shake up previous paradigms for origin of life to the expansion of the universe.

Perhaps, we will learn something very new, totally alien to our current beliefs (pun intended), that will make both of these questions irrelevant. Something that we have never considered because we just have not found a new clue......but our species is definitely curious explorers. WE must continue to search, to learn, to understand, to grow and hopefully evolve into a species which is better than who we are now. Only time will tell. Peace

The only things we don't know is the cause of the Big Bang and the initial appearance of life.

Everything after that we have wrapped up.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

The only things we don't know is the cause of the Big Bang and the initial appearance of life.

Umm, hate to disagree. We have not found life yet outside of our planet, not yet. We do not know if God exists. We can only see as far as our technology allows (current telescope systems). We just found yet another dwarf planet just beyond Pluto.

We are still finding various types of living organisms on Earth, like that Marianna Trench in the Pacific at the deepest depths, living organisms living with no sunlight, under tremendous pressure, environments where humans could never survive.

Also, seems like we are finding new types of hominids on every continent upsetting or at least causing doubt about the singular theory that homo sapiens began in southern Africa. I've always doubted this theory, just simply because of the many cultures and timelines previously hypothesized.

I think their are a lot of unknowns that we don't know. Peace!

edit on 9-6-2016 by thenightisours because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-6-2016 by thenightisours because: added comment

edit on 9-6-2016 by thenightisours because: spelling

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: thenightisours

Umm, hate to disagree. We have not found life yet outside of our planet, not yet. We do not know if God exists. We can only see as far as our technology allows (current telescope systems). We just found yet another dwarf planet just beyond Pluto.

We are still finding various types of living organisms on Earth, like that Marianna Trench in the Pacific at the deepest depths, living organisms living with no sunlight, under tremendous pressure, environments where humans could never survive.

Also, seems like we are finding new types of hominids on every continent upsetting or at least causing doubt about the singular theory that homo sapiens began in southern Africa. I've always doubted this theory, just simply because of the many cultures and timelines previously hypothesized.

I think their are a lot of unknowns that we don't know. Peace!

We have not found other life yet which is one reason we haven't figured out the origin of life it's self..which was one of my disclaimers lol.

The reason we can't see the distant planets is try don't emit light. However we can see stars billions of light years away, allowing us to slowly plot the evolution of the universe.

Sure there are still oodles or "gaps to fill" but we have the broad strokes figured out.... Except the cause of the universe and life as was my disclaimer.

We cannot disprove the concept of a god. However we can test the testable claims from the religious texts and none of them were close..at all.

This could all be a computer program or life could have been seeded by aliens, exc.

But the creation myths, flood myths , origin of man myths, exc have all been thoroughly debunked....and if the information was actually from God, it shouldn't be. The bible (or other texts) should have been a road map for science, not a bunch of red herrings....

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

This could all be a computer program or life could have been seeded by aliens, exc.

But the creation myths, flood myths , origin of man myths, exc have all been thoroughly debunked....and if the information was actually from God, it shouldn't be. The bible (or other texts) should have been a road map for science, not a bunch of red herrings....

Yes, I follow your original disclaimer. And I tend to agree with your above statements. They are cool with me. My disclaimer as identified earlier was that there appears to be a lot more learn, investigate, search, prove through scientific testing and more. In the meantime, I think we have to humbly admit, that there is quite a bit that we still do not know about our own planet. Still land that has never been explored, seas, oceans that we have on a tip of information on.

One example of this is the missing Egyptian Fligh MH17 almost a month down, in the Mediterranean Sea. We still can't find it in 2016!!!! Just shows we are not as smart as we may think we are. Peace!

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: thenightisours

I am not saying there is or isn't a good. But more than 90% of our planets 7+ Billion inhabitants DO believe in some type of God/Creator/Higher Power or whatever. So if that were the case, where did God come from?

I think you misspelled that added one more "o" then there should have been. Oh noz! But anyways just because a bunch of people believe something does not necessarily mean its true. It just means a whole hell of a lot of people believe something that just may be and likely is completely false.

The whole idea of a god could have come from a bunch of different things and place, all of them could be viable.

Although we have no idea how big this Universe is (we can only see the light of stars that our current telescopes allow us to see......we have no idea if there is a center or not. But any way, What came before the Big Bang? where did it come from? and then if we know that, same question, where. how and when?

The question of "what came before the big bang?" is what I would call insufficient data. First of all there is no 100% evidence in anything but postulations that there was a big bang to begin with or at all. So how would you answer the question of what came before the big bang? When the entire theory of the big bang may not be accurate by a long shoot or at all?

The answer is you cant. As such it is a mute point.

A hamster in a cage running around his wheel perhaps represents a creature who is trying to find answer a way out of this cage and is not content to just lay in the corner, but would rather insanely (do the same thing over and over again, expecting different results). That's all he's got. WE humans have many wheels to spin and most of our cages have open doors to walk into different rooms to find new clues and piece together new ideas and update existing theories and paradigms. Peace!!

Not sure about that. The whole entirety of the earth sphere could be one big giant mouse wheel, and even in that. How free are you to take a trip to the Shara tomorrow or maybe the arctic pole next week? OK! Maybe to hard of a question, how free are you to take a walk down to the park tomorrow.
Free! Is a word that means little outside of its relative specific context. You may "technically" to spin as many wheels and have the whole world as you playpen, but your limited to only a very tiny specific spot on it, and even a specific timeline, and even then there are rules and regulations to all of that.

So ya! A hamster will do as hamsters do. And a human will do as humans do. End of story.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join