It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PNG Police Open Fire On Protesting Students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Police shoot dead four protesting students in Port Moresby
ab.co...

This is somewhat breaking news.

University students protesting the handling of corruption allegations against the PM, Peter O'Neill.

Student leader Christopher Kipalan, the chairman of the UPNG Forum, said police were still chasing and shooting at protesting students in the suburbs of Port Moresby.

"Police are trying to shoot the civilians plus the students," he said.

"So many casualties. I can not confirm [how many] because I am on the run, can you understand that? I am seeing civil unrest."

Why the police have escalated things to start killing protestors, I don't know, orders from the PM?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

I don't really understand the reasoning either, but the fact itself is chilling.
Killing protesting students -- almost too much to fathom.

Kent State remains a dark spot on American History.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

More than anything else, this is just sad

You don't expect this in this day and age

I do hope that the police or their superiors are held accountable for these actions

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Like stated so many times before....let's make sure we have all the info before wildly speculating folks... If there's one thing I've learned here, its to never jump to conclusions..

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

This is terrible, the world is devolving because of greed, avarice, corruption and a general lack of respect for life. This is the kind of situation that could start a rehash of the French revolution.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

This isn't wild speculation. It happened.

The quote I posted though, that is speculation, I'll give you that.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Am a bit confused.

I thought you were IN SUPPORT OF the global oligarchy???!!!???

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

But the reason that the police opened fire on the protesters is as yet unknown. I believe that is what Wookiep is saying. While I have to agree that on the face of it, this seems like an outrageous incident, we don't know what led up to it right now. If the students were attacking the police with molotov cocktails, for instance, this response would not be nearly so.unreasonable as merely.opening fire because they were chanting and waving signs.
Again, no idea what lead up to it. And having a bit more information before demonizing the police harms noone. (Hands up, don't shoot, anyone?)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Thoughts and prayers for those involved.
This story brought back a lot of really, really bad memories from a long time ago. On a beautiful day in May, 1970 a very dark cloud came over the US. I suspect it is the same for the people affected by this tragedy today.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I'm on the other side of the world, so can you please tell me why the Australian police force keeps members in Papua New Guinea?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Wiki link on it HERE

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I'm on the other side of the world, so can you please tell me why the Australian police force keeps members in Papua New Guinea?

same reason America and other world powers have military/police force in smaller and less developed countries, with natural or trade route incentives; call it ' ulterior motives' .
of course, youll find fancy definitions and technicalities of such agreements on wikipedia pages, just like Chadwickus pointed you to.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
My sweety lives there. She was just telling me about this.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I bet 50 bucks we send some Australian Federal Police to save whatever corrupt clown is currently big chief bunga bunga.

new topics

top topics

join