It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is being tested at China Lake, Calif, to cause this notice?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

They simply don't have the money to sail a ship that costs millions of dollars to do some tests. It's not in the budget.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

Ok thank you kindly!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

Well, now there's some comfort in the advances of technology! I just am in the middle of a book that briefly mentioned the early work on taking guided missiles from radio to all-inertial guided systems.

F4.... in the 1960s I saw a Blue Angels performance at Point Magu NAS. Fell in love with the F4.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
They're obviously testing some king of GPS jammer. It obviously sucks that people will be dealing with this for a couple days, but I would say it's a small sacrifice if it means saving American lives.

Electronic warfare is really important in today's world.

A lot of Humvees actually use a cell phone jammer when traveling in hairy places so no one can use a remote-detonated IED.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Always nice to meet a civil person on the internet. No problem!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I can imagine that it might be related to the ability to prevent detection of a certain type of aircraft that cannot be detected in any other conventional manner. Detection of that aircraft type might be done using the disturbance of GPS signals, or not. So, jamming GPS would in effect make it undetectable again, perhaps, possibly.

But, I could be wrong.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Yes, the size of the testing area is what caught my eye. And, you bet, I just had to start this thread at this most appropriate and fun site
I think someday we'll find out. We'll hear of a new weapons system and say, "Oh, yeah, so THAT'S what they were doing in June of 2016!" Well, a lot of you guys will find out.... when you're my age now.... and I'm long gone.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

GPS is 100% useless between Willow Springs and Dora, Missouri. Found that out the hard way...

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Ridgecrest, Inyokern, Trona are all extremely close to China Lake, as is Spangler Hills. These are highly active OHV riding areas. A lot of lost riders out there wandering the Mojave due to GPS outage.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous
I forgot about the cell phone jammers and the IEDs. Well, it will be interesting to find out how they're doing this major GPS jamming.

And with your post, I will bug out for now, in peace that a plane will not fall from the sky on me....except for maybe a Phenom pilot who didn't read the NOTAM!.... or fall from the sky with me in it.
Thanks, Zaph! I had counted on you to show up here

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

What's TTR? I googled it to no avail...

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: buckwhizzle

Tonopah Test Range perhaps?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: buckwhizzle

Tonopah Test Range. It's where the F-117s are stored. It was their original home before they moved to New Mexico and tests a lot of classified aircraft programs for the Air Force.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Thank You.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Just a thought but could it have anything to do with the annual Arietid meteor shower which peaks today and tomorrow and happens mostly during daylight hours? Spaceweather Link

Plus there is this near earth asteroid for June 7th: JPL

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I think the question is actually how does it work and what are its applications. Of course, if it's new tech being tested, I don't want the answer to that, because if I have the answer, so does everyone else. Once that's figured out, then the next step is the countermeasures. It sure would be nice to render enemy GPS-guided missiles useless though.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Oh, how synchronous! Clyde Lewis (Ground Zero Media) just came on AM radio in my area but his show started an hour ago online. He's talking about your subject matter.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I have suspicions it is for something else, thinking about it and talking to some people.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Yes, the size of the testing area is what caught my eye. And, you bet, I just had to start this thread at this most appropriate and fun site
I think someday we'll find out. We'll hear of a new weapons system and say, "Oh, yeah, so THAT'S what they were doing in June of 2016!" Well, a lot of you guys will find out.... when you're my age now.... and I'm long gone.

Let's just not talk about age, lol! Hardly young here.

Yeah, that's a massive area for any effect! Even bombing isn't that massive. I wonder what else will be affected. Already, someone in that area said their cell phone was acting wonky. Know for a fact that can happen on any military base! Announced testing, or not. Makes you wonder, some days!

Not sure, with this one, that we'll ever know. Maybe once it's obsolete, if we last that long!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The Phenom is the only aircraft that has a stability system that relies on GPS to keep the aircraft stable. If they lose the GPS signal the stability system fails and they can lose control.

That seems like the sort of thing a first year engineer would design.

Sort of inconvenient behavior.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join