It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoyed by so much off topic chit chatting in good threads!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I visit ATS daily. I don't post a whole lot but I like to read over a lot of threads and when I see a lot of replies in one I figure that there must be an interesting discussion going on. Then I start reading and see usually by the second page there is a lot of back and forth chit chat going on between some members. The first comment will relate to the topic and a sarcastic joke or comment. Then others will respond to that, and the back and forth idle chit chat starts.

I don't want to read through a couple of pages of (you know who you are) posters comments to each other when I clicked on to read about the topic.
Some of the comments are amusing, but I'd rather read 4 or 5 pages of real posts about the topic than have to keep scrolling to find the relevant information.

I've been seeing it more and more. Perhaps these members should petition for the Chat feature to return so they have a place to do this and not take away from otherwise good threads.

Thanks for reading!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
You are welcome to cease viewing forums if it causes you such turmoil.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

yeah - awesome sausages

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

It does not cause me turmoil at all. As I said, it annoys me. I do not plan to stop viewing forums as I enjoy the topics and learn a lot.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

It's almost always the same people...

Long time members going back and forth making cheesy jokes that have nothing to do with the thread, and they get tons of stars...leaves me perplexed at times.

What bothers me even more is that these #s actually think they're funny.

Edit:

I wish they would just start their own "Off Topic Cheezy Jokes Thread"

But no, it's most likely intentional so I don't see an end to it any time soon.

edit on 7-6-2016 by DigitalVigilante420 because: Grrrrrrrrr # ! lol

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

Thanks for your reply. You nailed it. That is exactly what I feel about it.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

It does not cause me turmoil at all. As I said, it annoys me. I do not plan to stop viewing forums as I enjoy the topics and learn a lot.

Thou doth protest too much.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Its not gonna change. The more the membership grows, the more diverse are the ages and demographics of the membership.

You have to just scan down through the replying posts as quickly as possible and stop where it's pertinent for you.

Sadly, a great many new members don't read the Ts and Cs, rules, nor anything from the Board Forums etc. I think its a sign of the times that we just have to deal with.

PS: Just try and make your OWN posts and threads here with some bit of quality...and you will be an answer to the problem. One we should all follow!.

Peace!....MS

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

Thanks for your reply. You nailed it. That is exactly what I feel about it.

You're very welcome, thank you for allowing me to rant within your rant.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

If you think a post is off topic report it.

This has been the standing operating procedure from day one.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Schools out....expect it to get worse. Much worse.

Also we will be subjected to obscure gamer references, pop culture, and acronyms galore. Anyway HAGT!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You are right! I will start reporting it more.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Report my posts then instead of whining about it.

You think I stuck around for 9 years because I am constantly off topic?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I gave you a flag because I agree that:

Perhaps these members should petition for the Chat feature to return so they have a place to do this and not take away from otherwise good threads.

THIS is a great idea!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

This is kind of ironic. You have done EXACTLY what the OP was talking about.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Let's please not take their bait, if we address them specifically they will have the thread shut down which is their intention.

They are well trained.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Rarely. Probably countable on one hand.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I visit ATS daily. I don't post a whole lot but I like to read over a lot of threads and when I see a lot of replies in one I figure that there must be an interesting discussion going on. Then I start reading and see usually by the second page there is a lot of back and forth chit chat going on between some members. The first comment will relate to the topic and a sarcastic joke or comment. Then others will respond to that, and the back and forth idle chit chat starts.

I'd like to think that in any room full of friends discussing anything, that a topic taken too seriously can be a quick downturn in conversation and mood. Nothing wrong with lightening it up with a few choice one liners , and some witty sarcasm. If it bothers you, try posting on topic and bringing the thread back in the right direction related to the opening post. Sometimes that works.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join