It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Try the all new Nonspecific, Now available in sober.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Get yourself on a 12 step program and get to meetings. Will help you immensely. .you don't have to do this alone..
Good luck and well done.. Thanks for sharing. .

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
If you're removing a negative from your life, replace it with a positive. Substitute one healthy activity a day, like exercise. It can help reduce your stress levels and help you cope better with the change.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

am a 39 year old man and am about 5 foot ten and a half and have just weighed myself and came in at 8 stone 11 fully clothed, that cannot be good.

Greek yogurt, eggs, fish, chicken, spinach, broccoli and for snacks eat fruit. You'll be feeling and looking better in no time.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Keep hanging in there, man! 8 years sober here. I don't even like to take a Tylenol(R) tablet anymore.

If you need an ear to talk to or any kind of support, I am here.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I wish you the strength and courage to continue on this positive path! Big hug!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Good for you. Keep it up.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I 2nd Night Star! wishing you all the best to keep going. This world has a lot of beauty and humor in it, it will be an adventure to see everything with fresh new eyes!

Lol on the fork thing.. not from drugs or alcohol but I once had to ask what you call the room with the big hot thing in it.. (kitchen/oven) LOL
Lean on us when you need to!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Wowow...good for you, my friend, for tackling it head on. Like you said, without medical supervision, probably not the best idea, but I think it demonstrates (to yourself, most importantly) that you're 100% serious, and willing to make sacrifices - enduring the physical as well as the lovely hallucinations of Ol' Scratch, etc. I'm certain your rewards will be immense and that there may be temptations along the way as well. Best wishes, and good on you for making the right decision, and being willing and able to face the challenges ahead.

I'll only impart one bit of unsolicited advice - besides the newfound outlook and participation level in your life that sobriety will bring you, actively replace the drink with something "specific." It can be really silly and small, but just something as a mental "trick" to take it's place. It doesn't compare at all, but when I quit smoking, my trade was to start eating an apple every morning - just a minor, simple, something "good for me" instead of what had been "bad for me."

Best wishes, and keep it up!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
People object to AA because it is religious-based, but they have a good program.

One of them is the 'resocialization'.

TIME. Think about how much time is devoted to drinking. You plan around it. Go pick up the beer, or go the liquor store.
Deciding what else you need, mixers, or whatever. It's a little ritual everyday, which peeps often need something to replace with that.

And think about your socialization. You've socialized when intoxicated, now you have to relearn how to socialize being sober. That's why AA always has coffee and cake. Stand around and learn how to socialize again while sober.

Everything had to be planned for mornings. You couldn't schedule anything for the afternoon, because it would interfere with your drinking. So, you have mornings again! Sans hangover.

Anyway, I always thought I could spot an alcoholic easily, but ya got me! Lots of us on ATS enjoy a beer or a drink while perusing the boards, but usually after 5:00 p.m., unless vacation.

I guess you went through a lot to achieve sobriety, so try your damndest to stay that way. Don't want to go through that again, no?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Nice one. I'm sure you won't regret it

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Man, I am impressed with your courage to do this, as well as be completely open with us about it.
I want to support you so badly, I wish I could send a big hug and applause each day you get by without giving in.

I haven't been in your place, exactly, I don't know the addiction to alcohol, but I have quit cigarettes and found it so horrible, it sounds like you went through what I did times twenty.

Kudos to you!!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Nice one, keep it up!

Could be the best decision of your life mate

(that's non-alcoholic btw)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Sending lots of positive vibes for your continued recovery! I'm so glad someone loved you enough to do that serious talk with you.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
I'm so glad someone loved you enough to do that serious talk with you.

That's exactly as I thought, maybe that's half the battle, anyway NS seems to be getting there, and I wish him well, we've had a few laughs together on this forum.
edit on 7-6-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
Sending lots of positive vibes for your continued recovery! I'm so glad someone loved you enough to do that serious talk with you.

Yes but it took my near total destruction, I feel a little odd about it all as it appears that's lots of people have been talking to lots of other people about it for a long time.

I kind of feel a little stupid and wish that if only one of those conversations had involved me then things would not be quite so bad but we are all at the end of the day responsible for our own actions ultimately.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

You do realize quitting is the easy bit, right?

It's the days, weeks, months and even years afterwards that will really test your determination... truth be told.

Anyway, sorry if I sound overly negative, just being a realist is all.... seriously though, good luck with it mate.

btw, an inspirational song about defeating addiction couldn't hurt though, yeah?

"But I think I'm still trying to figure this crap out
Thought I had it mapped out, but I guess I didn't
This f# black cloud still follows me around
But it's time to exorcise these demons
These # are doing jumping jacks now!"

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

You do realize quitting is the easy bit, right?

It's the days, weeks, months and even years afterwards that will really test your determination... truth be told.

Anyway, sorry if I sound overly negative, just being a realist is all.... seriously though, good luck with it mate.

btw, an inspirational song about defeating addiction couldn't hurt though, yeah?

"But I think I'm still trying to figure this crap out
Thought I had it mapped out, but I guess I didn't
This f# black cloud still follows me around
But it's time to exorcise these demons
These # are doing jumping jacks now!"

Cheers mate and yes I am under no illusion that simply by not drinking alcohol will make things better.

I have over 20 years of regrets, remorse, loss and sadness to go through that was always kept at bay with the booze and need to figure out a way of dealing with it without breaking my promise or my own mind.

It will be as they say a great adventure.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well done you. Sending you loads of support and strength. Also sending Mrs nonspecific strength and support too. Be strong take care.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Congratulations man!
I applaud your courage and wish you all the best in your quest for a better life.

you won't regret it

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

am a 39 year old man and am about 5 foot ten and a half and have just weighed myself and came in at 8 stone 11 fully clothed, that cannot be good.

Greek yogurt, eggs, fish, chicken, spinach, broccoli and for snacks eat fruit. You'll be feeling and looking better in no time.

Aye-yi-yi, go easy on the man!

Depending on what his diet was before, such a radical change might be disastrous in terms of taste.

Now all those things are, of course, wonderful, but you do have to retrain your palate. If it's used to a high fat, high suger, high sodium diet, those things will start out tasting like sand and you could turn yourself off the idea of eating healthy permanently.

Incremental is best. Introduce the new things either as ingredients with familiar flavors, toning the unhealthiness down or as one or two new items a month giving yourself time to get used to and appreciate them.

It took me years to train my husband, but it was well worth it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join