It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we be the most intelligent life in the entire universe?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I do!

How else are you going to actually see the animals that do their thing nocturnally. Or where you're going.

Your night vision is far superior to simply having everything illuminated for the 20 feet infront of you. Cant see anything not directly in your flashlights beam. With night vision you can see outat least 100 feet.

What I used to do was walk about 30 feet into the trail or path and squat down for 20 minutes. Would use no electronics like phones or flashlights as I didnt want to ruin my eyes switching over to night vision. Id make zero noise and id just listen letting my senses adjust to the night. Even taking in deep wiffs of the air sampling and getting observent of what you were smelling. Then once I and my surrounding blended in id set off for my night hike.

At least thats how id enjoy the night. I figure if im hiking at night its because I want to actually experience the night the way we as a human animal have for millions of years.

Heres a fun thing to do as a teen. Infiltrate griffith park. Sneak past the moron park rangers house while he and his dog were watching tv. Commando style inserting via a handy culvert off franklin ave entrance. Gates were locked and park closed after nightfall.

Use deer trails to scale the mountain up to the griffith observatory. From there hide in the tree line and skitter pebbles a few feet behind patroling security guards you'd be stalking for fun that were in the parking lot or perimeter of the observatory grounds. watch them get spooked and freak. Not sure whats going on or being able to figure it out. Id snicker self amused at their reactons. I guess I was bored as a teen. But running through the night as a human animal. Relying on only your senses and wit to navigate like we're originally supposed to as a species is a ton more exciting then getting drunk at the local party.

Sometimes for a extra challenge dare a buddy or even f solo to try and make it to a arbitrary chosen landmark inside the observatory like the oblisk in the middle of the parking lot withput being seen.

Onetime my friends and i were persued by the ranger and his dog after making a sloppy entrence with a new guy tagging along. Beat up that side of the mountain real quick getting to the observatory. Shook the guy and his dog after about 1/3 of the accent.

Another time a helicopter was on to us while up at the observatory. We ran down that mountain switching from game trail to game trail using tree coverage and topography to quickly evade the helicopters flir system. He had us for a while though. We were safely walking down franklin blending into the normal crowds looking back laughing as officer stedanko and tweetle dumb flew around for another 30 minutes in their helicopter along that hill side trying to find something that wasnt there anymore.

But yeah, we did all of that without flashlights.

Bored teens in the lack luster 90s.
edit on 8-6-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Yah, eyes are over rated.

This time I suggest you use the helmet with the blast shield down.

But with the blast shield down I can't see anything.

Trust your instincts Luke, use the force.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
All we know for sure is, currently, we're the most intelligent life-form in the known universe. Poor universe...

Eh. Considering the slime we crawled out of, we've done okay for ourselves. And in a few years, after we've developed sentient artificial superintelligence, maybe it will look back at us with some fondness and admiration for how much we accomplished with so little.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Wow Ats can some people answer my questions on page 6 or just get back on topic.. YES we can see at night. The moon emits its own light, not reflective of the sun. which is also decent enough to drive without headlights. Light at first were mainly used so people working in factories could continue working after the sun went down.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ssenerawa

The moon emits its own light, not reflective of the sun

Yeah, about that.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

The moon emits its own light, not reflective of the sun.

Wat

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

The moon emits its own light, not reflective of the sun.

Wat

Oh, didn't you know? He's a flat earther, too.

How you can combine that with other planets existing would seem to be so big a disjoin that your head would do the scanners thing. Doesn't think that space exists, either, it's all Earth STP atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Not a flat earther but I don't think it's a perfect sphere I think the atmosphere just makes it look that way or something idk. Also I never said I didn't believe space existed, what? Anyone can use a telescope

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

The moon emits its own light, not reflective of the sun

Yeah, about that.
sacrcasm.. anyone can go outside and see a crescent moon lit up and the rest you can barley see which shows the reflection

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Not a flat earther but I don't think it's a perfect sphere I think the atmosphere just makes it look that way or something idk. Also I never said I didn't believe space existed, what? Anyone can use a telescope

Sorry - wasn't it you that posted "there is no space" the other day? I might have misremembered. Can't look easily on this phone.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Sorry - wasn't it you that posted "there is no space" the other day? I might have misremembered. Can't look easily on this phone.
Most certainly was not me. Provide link

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: StratosFear

IMHO we should stop and fix the problems on the planet first so we can ALL go out there and see whats to be seen.

What problems? Now you're being as vague as the OP. Does a household family of 4 make all their beds and ensure there are no leaking taps to fix before setting out to work everyday. Some will make the bed others will go straight to work.

We cannot stop exploration. The reason the New World was discovered in the age of ships was for resources and to alleviate problems back home in Europe. There will always be processes we can improve on. Its all a matter of allocation of resources; and more importantly thinking long term as to implications and potential dangers of new technologies. Ethics seems to have taken a back seat.

What does concern me more is that everyone "argues over global warming" and yet there seems to be a conspiracy of silence as to the effects and implications of Fukushima. No-one reallty wants to deal with the ecological and human destruction potential of it. Why is that?
vague?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ssenerawa

I think humanity is really still in its infancy regarding intelligence.

I mean we cannot even treat one another in a respectful manner and seem hell bend on fighting countless wars over race, religious indifference and ever diminishing resources.

We refuse to recognize our past transgressions as a species and seem hell bent on repeating historical stupidity. Essentially we cannot seem to learn from our mistakes.

Fact is humanity has changed very little throughout recorded history.

Yes we are indeed capable of conceiving and inventing fantastic new toys and technologies but then we turn around and weaponize them to kill one another in nefariously new and interesting fashion.

edit on 16-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I think humanity is really still in its infancy regarding intelligence.

I mean we cannot even treat one another in a respectful manner and seem hell bend on fighting countless wars over race, religious indifference and ever diminishing resources.

We refuse to recognize our past transgressions as a species and seem hell bent on repeating historical stupidity. Essentially we cannot seem to learn from our mistakes.

Fact is humanity has changed very little throughout recorded history.

Yes we are indeed capable of conceiving and inventing fantastic new toys and technologies but then we turn around and weaponize them to kill one another in nefariously new and interesting fashion.

Compassion has nothing to do with IQ

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Intelligence however has plenty to do with IQ, and on that score, collectively, humanity scores pretty low if you ask me.

Actions apparently speak louder than words, what does humanity's actions over the grand span of recorded history suggest to you? Because to me it screams petulant child.

Compassion however does indeed have rather a lot to do with humanity's ability to empathize with one another, a key factor regrading our development as a species.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Intelligence however has plenty to do with IQ, and on that score, collectively, humanity scores pretty low if you ask me.

Actions apparently speak louder than words, what does humanity's actions over the grand span of recorded history suggest to you? Because to me it screams petulant child.

Compassion however does indeed have rather a lot to do with humanity's ability to empathize with one another, a key factor regrading our development as a species.
Really? You don't see how far we have come as a species?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This is a philosophical question that probably was best answered by Protagoras thousands of years ago.
Protagoras is dead.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Lets just say i think we have a long ways to go before we could ever consider the suggestion that we are anywhere near the most intelligent life in the universe.

To be honest even entertaining the notion seems like pure hubris.

Consider the age of the cosmos and the fact that countless civilizations on millions of other worlds could have risen, existed for millennia and then fallen long before our star was even born.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Lets just say i think we have a long ways to go before we could ever consider the suggestion that we are anywhere near the most intelligent life in the universe.

To be honest even entertaining the notion seems like pure hubris.

Consider the age of the cosmos and the fact that countless civilizations on millions of other worlds could have risen, existed for millennia and then fallen long before our star was even born.
Yes but consider this fact. We're the only species that has advanced technology.

Which allows us to survive the phases the planets go through, which other civilization could not. Things like the Ice age.

As you said there civilations failed. Only way ours/we could fail IMHO is if we kill ourselves.
edit on 17-7-2016 by ssenerawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

If there was another significant Ice age, which there will be relatively soon our current technology could not save the majority of humanity.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join