It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Magic of Incitement, and the magical thinking of those who suggest it.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
According to Hilary Clinton (and some delightful folks here on ATS), Trump incites violence. Of course, he hasn’t been convicted of any such crime, but those who operate their minds like kangaroo courts have nonetheless deemed him guilty.

The same was insinuated of Hilary Clinton by nonsense-peddler Rush Limbaugh, who suggested it was actually her rhetoric (and rhetoric in general) that caused the violence at Trump's rallies. Frankly, I expected nothing less from Limbaugh.

The media, once again, were given a straight up pass.

Assuming Trump has that sort of superpower, isn’t this the kind of person we would want as a leader? Maybe he could incite world peace. Maybe he could incite concern for the environment. Certainly a leader who could incite people to violence could also incite them to civility, or some other mode of conduct.

Better than that, any person who can produce such an effect on human beings with mere words must have some effect, however subtle, on any other phase of matter in the exact same way. If that's the case, let’s get Trump to incite crops to give a higher yield this year. Maybe he could incite endangered animals to produce more offspring, thereby bringing some species back from the brink. The applications are near endless.

These requests might just work if the idea wasn’t complete piffle and magical thinking. Condemning the speaker and the words spoken for an outbreak of violence is no better than condemning someone for sorcery and speaking spells, and I don't think it is in our best interests to bring back the witch hunts.

I wonder what is going on in the heads of those who think Trump (or anyone) incites violence. Anyone feel like answering that? In the absence of the concrete evidence (of which there is none), do you feel a violent tendency in yourself when Trump speaks, and after doing so, project it on to others? Or do you think so low of the people performing the violence, and so highly of Trump, that you can only conclude these people are doomed to act only according to what he says? Do the offenders have no volition or agency of their own?

Of course they do, and anything less than that is a pernicious species of bigotry. Their actions depend wholly on them, their own choices, their own desires, and as a corollary, cannot be incited by anyone else but themselves. These are human beings who make their own choices, not voice-activated machines, not circus animals, not slaves, and it might do you better to think a little higher of people before dismissing the very agency that makes them human.

LesMis
edit on 6-6-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I suggest that you study the rise of Hitler and the Third Reich to better understand inciting the populace.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I suggest that you study the rise of Hitler and the Third Reich to better understand inciting the populace.

I suggest you study it. Violent censorship disallowed any dissent.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
They are sponsored by the likes of Soros,no they cant think for themselves often they dont even know why they are protesting and they share many characteristics with performing circus animals.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Trump is more like a circus, all acton and excitement, a bag of hot air.

Hillary is low key, whispering orders in lieutenants ears to be carried out in secret.

You go to a Trump Rally (sound the trumpets), or to a Hillary campaign, borrring.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Yes, I wonder the same. Superpower, nah.
Why could not Hitler have used his Oratory skills to better mankind? He Evoked Emotions that played his fellow countrymen and women to follow him, all at the excitation of emotional cords that he played like a master. Yes, Neuro Linguistic Programming is real, as is the Power of Persuasion, nothing woo woo about it, just how the brain of common humans tend to work. Can you say, Madison Ave and all the Advertisers are idiots or on to something?
Someone can knowingly implant seeds in another's mind just by suggestion, it is called Hypnosis. And Most are able to be easily hypnotised without all the Penn ad Teller Magic show of given stage magic.

Real Magick is Worked with Words, this is true and should not be brushed off so quickly.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Maybe he could incite the money in my wallet to multiply.

On topic, it seems to me that far too many people don't want to have the responsibility to think for themselves. They would much rather be told what to think.
Then they get enabled by the talking heads on TV and their Facebook and Twitter news feeds. Telling them they were not responsible for their actions because they were incited.
That is one of the main contributing factors here.

People are being told from the time they are children that they are not responsible for anything, they are told they are in their situation because they have a condition, or they were oppressed, or someone did something to their ancestors a hundred years ago.

Accountability and self reliance are dirty words now.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Isn't it probable that such a large segment of the population is currently so out of touch with themselves, so frustrated, and so undisciplined that they are easily influenced by people who have a public platform upon which to speak, and who they feel represents how they feel, especially in such a volatile time?

Unfortunately, people are using (or being used by) the divisive rhetoric to manifest and act on their own frustrations and desires.

edit on 6-6-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Well gee, whose the only candidate who has incited violence and continues to have violence at his rallies. Of course, to conservatives he's totally innocent of all charges and apparently, according to you, magic is to blame.

Deny ignorance, just one time. You might like it.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Well gee, whose the only candidate who has incited violence and continues to have violence at his rallies. Of course, to conservatives he's totally innocent of all charges and apparently, according to you, magic is to blame.

Like I said, guilty until proven innocent in the kangaroo-court you have set up in your mind. I take it you're the judge presiding over these cases?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Isn't it probable that such a large segment of the population is currently so out of touch with themselves, so frustrated, and so undisciplined that they are easily influenced by people who have a public platform upon which to speak, and who they feel represents how they feel, especially in such a volatile time?

Unfortunately, people are using (or being used by) the divisive rhetoric to manifest and act on their own frustrations and desires.

I think that's probable. But I would argue that agitators are using the "incitement" ploy to justify agitating, for vain purposes such as trying to appear cool or anti-establishment, or just to break things or engage in mob-violence, while the media uses it for ratings.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

If Trump can induce such violence, it's not an indictment on him, it's an indictment on everyone weak enough to be manipulated in such a way.

Or Trump is a witch.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Swills

Like I said, guilty until proven innocent in the kangaroo-court you have set up in your mind. I take it you're the judge presiding over these cases?

You forgot to say, "Touché!" -giggle- Great OP (S&F).

When I see Trump at the podium, he strikes me as would Cesar, presiding over the events in the Arena. I couldn't fault him for inciting it ... but the crowd he commands ... holy moley!!

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

That's also very probable. And likely true—to a certain degree.

Are you suggesting that the majority of the cases of mob "violence" and general discontent (regardless of position, candidate support, or frustration) are simply agitators?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Yeah. After it got its foot in the door/mind of those minions that helped him cement his power.

(I have no agenda with what I suggest.)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: EarthCitizen23

Here's the thing: Hitler was crazy evil and in his crazy evil little world, he was persuading the people to create utopia. It's just that he didn't care at all how many he was going to have to "discard" on the way to achieving it.

But quite frankly, the OP is quite correct. Language has only that power which we choose to let it have over us. Do you let it play on your emotions? Are you persuaded by it?

All of the advertising industry is designed to use the power of language in order to part you from your money for various clients. The sooner you internalize this truth; the sooner they stop owning you. It's no different from anyone else from politicians on down.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

When Hitler was coming to power, not everyone saw that he- was an evil person. Royals, Fords and many others of what would be called 'sane' parts of society sorta liked what he said. Utopia? He just wanted to make Germany "GREAT AGAIN" feeling that the Fatherland had been dissed in an earlier war. So it isn't like he had 666 tatoo on his forehead. He spoke eloquently about rebuilding Germany for Germans. Many took the bait, the rest came later after he had set up his Mind Control centers.

I think you don't really understand the power of words.

Do I let them play my emotions, no. Am I persuaded, no. Been there done that, have the T shirt,, won't drink Kool-aid don't worry.

Yes, the Advertising Industry wants the Money. What does the Military Industrial Complex that really runs the show want from you? Do you have any clue?

Words,, they will trip you up every time, be careful. Don't be angry about it. Internalize the truth.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

What's really telling, in the wake of all this Trump, is that you are all willing to make excuses for violent nonsense so long as it's progressive violent nonsense.

As soon as a conservative punches some mealy-mouth liberal in the mouth it's racism or facism, but some liberal commits a violent act then it's because they asked for it.

The left is sooo tolerant though.

A number of people I once considered progressive commenters, who were really pretty neutral, have really exposed themselves. Some of them have really gone off the rails.

Do you want massive change or just more of the same?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

What I find fascinating about those who are quickest to take the concept of "incitement" the most seriously, is that they tend to be so inconsistent with their application of the principle.

For example, if anyone were to suggest that perpetrators of domestic violence were "provoked" into physically and emotionally abusing their partners, there would be an uproar. But if a politician posts controversial views on social media (despite not directly calling for violence or harm), these same people will judge the politician as being responsible for "provoking" any violence that results.

People need to be responsible for their reactions as well as their actions.

edit on 7/6/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: EarthCitizen23

That's hilarious. I make a post about not understanding the power of words to you, so you tell me that "no, I get it. Perhaps YOU don't ..."

My job is words.

All you did is attempt to flip my script back on me. In other words, i c what i did there.
edit on 7-6-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join