It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway now allows trans people to decide their own gender

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

"In the new edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), released on May 22, the now-defunct diagnosis of gender identity disorder (GID) receives a new name, gender dysphoria, which reflects a new emphasis."

I also remember delusions being counted as a mental disorder. You should look into that. There was no complaining until it was changed. As you can read from my quote, they changed the term to reflect an academic change in the emphasis on gender dysphoria. Which is on the suffering cause by the dysphoria, by the way.
Oh and since we are being technical. Do you know what the suggested treatment is for people with Gender Dysphoria?
Huh? Do ya?
Do ya, do ya?
Transition.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: B14ckC47

originally posted by: ketsuko
Pretty soon people will be prosecuting nature for the very real bigotry of having approximately half of us be born with XX chromosomes while the other half are born with XY. I mean, clearly, those genetics are superfluous and just unnecessary discrimination by nature.

Actually that is incorrect. Your assessment of half suggests that a clean split (50/50) of humanity is either male or female. I am afraid that science is not on your side and that your belief throws intersex people who have XXY, XXXY, XX/XY, and other variations under the bus.

Oh dear lord, the word "approximately" ... please look it up.

To cause to approach, to bring near ...

In other words, not freakin' exact.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
a reply to: Morrad
That's it baby, I'm moving to Norway!!

Oh wait, trans?
I read that as trance and I was like, I love trance.

Well, I mean if you do move to Norway
you can still be a TRANsient.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
a reply to: B14ckC47

He said "approximately", which should have protected him from trigger happy people such as your self.

Mind you, a "large majority" of transgender people don't have these extra chromosomes.

Ehm... do you even grammar/logic bro? Their "approximately" came before the assertion of Half. Half, by the way can mean only 50% of something. And if something is 50% or something then the other portion is 50% which means... Say it with me: There are only 2 options. The way in which 'approximately' was used was to show that the two halves were not a perfect 50/50 split where women tend to outnumber men. They were not trying to show that there were more than 2 slices to this figurative pie chart.
Seriously, try me.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You really need to reword things if that is what you meant. Your usage of 'approximately' here shows that the numbers of the two gender options are not a 50/50 split. Not that there are more than two options. I mean, can you say with total honesty that when you wrote that you had intersex people in mind? If so then say so now and make it clear that male and female biological sexes are not the only two occurrences.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I think you're wrong.
There are only two biological sexes.
Can you name a third?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

I think you're wrong.
Can you name a third?

Ehm...yeah. It's called intersex. It's a real biological thing that occurs far more frequently than people realise. Seriously, do your research.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

I think you're wrong.
Can you name a third?

Intersex.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
How about an irrevocable one-time declaration of gender. Do it once, say at age 21, and that is it. No matter how one "feels" about it in the future, there is no turning back.
It would eliminate the whimsy and include the state sponsored surgery and medications necessary. Official documents would be retroactively changed and could be marked with a coded gender or not as desired, e.g., TM or TF.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

While I sort of agree with your general idea, this method has flaws. One big flaw is puberty. The further along in puberty a person is the less hormone replacement therapy can do for them. For the sake of quality of life the bar should be set lower.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Pretty soon people will be identifying as pumpkins.

Does this idiocy have no end in sight?

I'm so glad my life is half over, i couldn't imagine the world 50 yrs from now when people will be identifying as human goats.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

And people were going to be marrying their toasters when we made marriage equality the law of the land.

Didn't happen.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

And people were going to be marrying their toasters when we made marriage equality the law of the land.

Didn't happen.

I never said that.

50 yrs is a long time, you most likely won't be alive to see if it comes true Kayla will you.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

You really need to reword things if that is what you meant. Your usage of 'approximately' here shows that the numbers of the two gender options are not a 50/50 split. Not that there are more than two options. I mean, can you say with total honesty that when you wrote that you had intersex people in mind? If so then say so now and make it clear that male and female biological sexes are not the only two occurrences.

Yes, actually because I knew someone like you would be along. I've been in these discussion before. This ain't my first rodeo. You performed admirably, btw.

Interestingly enough, with the exception of XYY individuals who are basically phenotypical males and don't even mostly realize they have the abnormality, pretty much all of them are based off of some variation of XX. And they are rare enough that their incidence is below a full percentage point in the population.

Statistically speaking, they may even be rarer than transgenders who are at best 0.3% of the population.

So trying to account for them in my calculation ... "Approximately" is close enough I think.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

Didn't happen.

I never said that.

50 yrs is a long time, you most likely won't be alive to see if it comes true Kayla will you.

Never know... people are living longer and I'm a health nut and come from long-living hearty stock.

So, when no one identifies as human goats in 50 years, I'll come back here and rub your nose in it, shall I?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

heh, and you'll still be the Sh't Stirring LBGT Snowflake Cheerleader from Hell, that you are now.

btw, i accidentally starred your awful post, just so you don't think you had a fan out there or something, Bad on me, ugh.

edit on 6/6/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I've always believed that people should be whoever they want to be.

The rights of the individual are paramount.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

a reply to: pteridine

While I sort of agree with your general idea, this method has flaws. One big flaw is puberty. The further along in puberty a person is the less hormone replacement therapy can do for them. For the sake of quality of life the bar should be set lower.

Setting the bar too low would not be wise. You would have to balance maturity of the individual with the hormone effects. Perhaps hormone treatments can begin before puberty for those who are fairly certain of their desire for change and a final decision at 21 can include the surgery.
How to handle parents who think Robert should be Roberta will be problematic.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

Didn't happen.

I never said that.

Never know... people are living longer and I'm a health nut and come from long-living hearty stock.

So, when no one identifies as human goats in 50 years, I'll come back here and rub your nose in it, shall I?

How about a cat from Norway?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I think you need to go back to school... bro...

He said "approximately half". Do you know the definition of approximately? Let me help you out....

"used to show that something is almost, but not completely, accurate or exact; roughly."

"Approximately half" is "almost half but not completely half"... So please do educate yourself, and then come back and pretend to be smart.
edit on 7-6-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join