It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man sued for $30,000 over $40 printer he sold on Craigslist.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: F4guy

No, it is not. In a case that is deemed to be brought frivolously the plaintiff pays the defendant's legal fees. From 2011, when the law was updated:

AUSTIN, Texas—Texas Gov. Rick Perry has signed into law a tort reform measure that institutes a “loser-pays” provision in lawsuits deemed to be frivolous.

You obviously missed or are ignoring the 2013 and 2015 changes to Texas R. Civ Proc . Even under the 2011 version of the rule, most losers didn't have to pay. Only those falling under a Rule 92 Motion and hearing had to pay. It is virtually the same as the result under FRCP 11 and 12. And in Texas the Rules of Civil Procedure are promulgated by the Texas Supreme Court, not the Governor.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy
You obviously missed or are ignoring the 2013 and 2015 changes to Texas R. Civ Proc . Even under the 2011 version of the rule, most losers didn't have to pay.

You are obviously being purposefully obtuse. From my very first post I have been referring to frivolous lawsuits. Nothing that you quoted disproves that lawsuits that are found to be frivolous in Texas cause the plaintiff to pay the defendant's legal fees.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MountainLaurel

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
a reply to: gladtobehere

At this stage, the man should sue the courts for allowing such a ridiculous procedure to be carried out. Thirty grand for a used printer, that he claims didn't work?? Insane!

Yup ! It's so obvious it's ridiculous this could go so far. I mentioned Judge Judy in an earlier post, because this case would have been closed fast and sensibly. But the more I think about it, these judge shows are just another false illusion of justice...dragging things out keeps the system going, crazy laws that someone can sue you in another State for a $40 dollar printer because you didn't respond appropriately ...is basically extortion !

IDK, I was actually put in handcuffs and arrested because I had a warrant for an out standing dog license....True Story....I didn't pay the $10 dollar yearly fee and failed to notify the city our sweet dog had passed on. The Judge dismissed it in the "Interest of Justice"....but it showed me VERY clearly how insane things are...

You would hope they'd dismiss, but so many don't. A tv judge that did would still be making money from the case, too.

Arrested, and cuffed, for a DOG LICENSE?!?!? That's insane!! What, crime there was so low, they had nothing better to do? Did you live in Mayberry?? Wow...... How could they even justify an arrest for that?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I called the police during a domestic dispute hoping the police would make the person threatening me leave...instead they said..."well, one of you has to leave and you have a warrant" Moral of the story is NEVER call the police, it will make whatever the problem is worse !

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:53 AM
link   

craigslist is just a good idea to avoid craigslist entirely

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   

When my father passed from cancer in 2012, his (5th) wife of FOUR MONTHS who left him the moment she found out he was dying of cancer and he DIDN'T make her the beneficiary of a million dollar life insurance policy.......tried to sue my brother and I for the life insurance policy he made us the beneficiary of. Because it was his work policy, the insurance company threw the "case" into an interpleader and I had to spend the next year studying insurance law and almost drinking myself to death trying to fight her even though she didn't have a snowball's change in hell of winning (The policy was obtained 15 years before my father MET that crazy wench he married and Texas is a community property state....and ERISA didn't apply to this policy.....)

In the end, I had to pay my lawyer 10 grand....the insurance companies lawyer got 10 grand off the top and my brother and I got about 20 grand less than we would have had this b!tch not sued. When she found out she was going to lose, she accepted 5 grand I offered her to just go away....but by then, a year of my life was gone, I almost had a nervous breakdown and delayed the mourning of my father's passing a year......

I discovered that ANYONE can sue ANYBODY for just about ANYTHING......and you've NO choice but to defend yourself.......it is a form of terrorism, in MY book.......

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Cornczech

I agree. ....and the perpetrators of such "terror" should be treated as such. These types of people are some of the lowest scum on the earth. It sends a wave of fury through me when I hear of their crimes.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This is what happens when America takes in others trash....something we're doing at an unheard of rate with this administration. Buckle up buckaroos, it's gonna get bumpy.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
You now all know the definition of the term "Lawfare"

There are people in the world who seek to use the system to their utmost advantage. They will look for every loophole and minuscule gap in wording to maximize their advantage and bring down the whole weight of the legal system on your head.
These people are called Lawyers.
Unfortunately they migrate from this world into the world of politicians and they use their vast experience in legal ninjitsu to craft the law of the land is such a way that it not only encourages this lawfare but actively assists it in occurring.
Your local politicians and lawyers are to blame for pond scum such as this undocumented lawyer from the Ukraine.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I wanted to add this.

The victim in this case would be perfectly justified in using extra-judicial means to make this case go away.
This man has lost a portion of his life.
Defending ones life is a valid use of force.....

Just sayin.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Just walk around on garbage day and get a printer at the curb. For years I got all my computer gear, including printers, by intercepting it on the way to the dump. The printers worked fine.

Furthermore, people who come from other countries just to game the legal system ought to be told off in no uncertain terms with a lot of finger wagging and pointing. By little old ladies. They should be cane whacked at the end of it. Publicly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join