It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I still think we need "XY" and "XX" labels

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I think kaylaluv gave the reason above - kids in school were forced to use their biological gender bathroom rather than the one they identified with. So even someone that looked male, would be forced to use the females restroom, vice versa.

I thought most people were against younger than 18 doing anything about their gender identity though? Unless these kids naturally - Without dangerous supplementation and surgeries - Looked like, and identified as the opposite gender
Was that the case?

I honestly don't know. I claim ignorance on her example and would like to know more.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Mountains out of molehills:

"We can't let transgenders females in our women's rooms - think of the wimmens and chillens!"

"We can't let parents help their trans children by allowing them to present themselves as the other gender under the guidance of therapists! They'll cut their thing off at age 7!"

"We can't let schools talk about gender to kids! It'll turn 'em all transgender!"

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Nondiscrimination laws protecting transgender people have existed for a long time. Over 200 municipalities and 18 states have nondiscrimination laws protecting transgender people’s access to facilities consistent with the gender they live every day. In some cases, these protections have been in place for decades. These laws have protected people from discrimination without creating harm. None of those jurisdictions have seen a rise in sexual violence or other public safety issues due to nondiscrimination laws.

4vawa.org...

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

No he doesn't this is a misunderstanding of genetics every female has two Xx chomosomes every male has XY. Sex chromosomes if the individual has a y chromosome they are male and an x female some individuals can have 3 Being xxx or xxy. In these cases a male with xxy is no different then xy. In fact tend to be taller and even more masculine. Females can and some do xxx again no difrence. By the way this is known as super males and super females I kid you not.

Then we can have an individual with what's called turners syndrom. This is where a child has a functioning x chromosome but the y didn't activate. This causes severe defects. The effects can be lessened with estrogen therapy. Making them essentially a sterile female.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I would just like to reiterate that the entire planet is making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I could read the law but usually laws are a hundred pages long and I'm at work.

Do these laws include language ensuring that only people who identity as that gender are allowed in the restroom? I suppose conservative rhetoric - no, I'm not conservative - suggests that it makes restrooms a free for all. Anyone can use any restroom under the guise of Transgender people existing and you cannot discriminate.

Do these laws suggest that a person is one gender, and that gender is what they identity with, the gender they make every effort to fit in with? ( I realize "fit in" is subjective.)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

As far as I know it is only limited to the USA, so please keep it confined like it is a Zombievirus.

So only a part of 323 million people of the 7.400 million (that's 5%) may worry about it.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Hallelujah! Let people use the restroom that's most comfortable for them and this issue is OVAH.

That means that a school doesn't tell a trans student they have to use the nurse's restroom.

That means an employer doesn't tell a trans employee where they have to go to relieve themselves.

That means that no one tells a trans person they're not allowed to go to the restroom that matches their identified gender.

Done. Movin' on to the next issue.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

It just says you can't discriminate on the basis of gender identity. If someone sees someone they don't think should be in the bathroom (a predator), notify the authorities. It will be judged on a case by case basis. If the person proves they are in therapy and taking hormones, etc to transition and they haven't harmed anyone, then they are good. If they are proven to be a lying predator, they go to jail.

Same thing if you think a pedophile male is in the men's room up to no good. Notify the authorities. If he can prove his innocence, he's good. If he can't, he goes to jail.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I suppose I can follow this line of thinking.

I still don't like the government being involved in bathroom issues, period. I think a civil population would just figure it out for themselves, but apparently we can't, or something.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Hallelujah! Let people use the restroom that's most comfortable for them and this issue is OVAH.

That means that a school doesn't tell a trans student they have to use the nurse's restroom.

That means an employer doesn't tell a trans employee where they have to go to relieve themselves.

That means that no one tells a trans person they're not allowed to go to the restroom that matches their identified gender.

Done. Movin' on to the next issue.

Seems simple unfortunately a lot of females disagree with you. Guys would have no problem with a female using the men's bathroom. Problem is females do indeed have a problem with males using the female restroom.So there's the problem the solution is either women no longer have separate bathrooms being male and having seen what women do in public restrooms thus is a horrifying thought. Or females just have to allow men to use there restroom not likely females don't like guys around them in the bathroom, I have two daughters and one son and he's regularly waiting at the door lol.

Females are just not comfortable with males being around then. So what as a society we have to decide is are we willing to make women uncomfortable in public places? And as a society should we demand that from them?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I think kaylaluv was explaining that circumstances in which people feel they might be harmed haven't changed. Authorities can still be called, cops or guards still involved, etc.

People can still be found guilty of causing harm in a restroom

They just can't be found guilty if they weren't causing harm nor ever intended to.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

cool no problem dont get pissed when a dad follows what can only be seen as a man into the bathroom behind his 7 year old

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Females are just not comfortable with males being around then. So what as a society we have to decide is are we willing to make women uncomfortable in public places? And as a society should we demand that from them?

Don't know - why don't you ask a female in one of the 18 states or 200 cities that have passed this non-discrimination law how it has affected them in their day-to-day life? Oh yeah, that would be me. I live in Austin, Texas, which has a city ordinance prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in housing, public accommodations (includes public restrooms), city employment, private employment and city contractors.

How has it affected me in my day-to-day life? Not much at all, actually. I have seen a few transgender females that I could tell were transgender - who knows how many that I didn't know were trans. I have yet to see a big hairy male with a beard walk into the women's room. I've lived here 17 years, and I've been to a LOT of public restrooms.

Mountain out of a molehill, if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Oh, I was totally thinking about a different kind of XX branding.

Carry on.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Cool, don't forget to do that for your boy in the men's room too.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Don't know - why don't you ask a female in one of the 18 states or 200 cities that have passed this non-discrimination law how it has affected them in their day-to-day life? Oh yeah, that would be me. I live in Austin, Texas, which has a city ordinance prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in housing, public accommodations (includes public restrooms), city employment, private employment and city contractors.

How has it affected me in my day-to-day life? Not much at all, actually. I have seen a few transgender females that I could tell were transgender - who knows how many that I didn't know were trans. I have yet to see a big hairy male with a beard walk into the women's room. I've lived here 17 years, and I've been to a LOT of public restrooms.

Mountain out of a molehill, if you ask me.

So in your world because you don't care you feel all females should feel the same. Unfortunately the real world doesn't work that way. There are females that are uncomfortable with the thought of a guy being around when they are using the rest room. What gender the individual claims to be is irrelevant. I can claim to be a Chinese guy or a black woman doesn't make it true. Bottom line is being a guy I could care less if a woman uses the guys restroom and been in lots of situations where that has happened. But being a guy Im not going to presume females should feel the same way. Spoke to my wife about this and she said he'll I'm uncomfortable when you walk in much less a guy I don't know. So there is the true issue isn't it ?

As for the gender laws these laws have always been in place you are attempting to deceive by claiming they were put in place to defend trangender.

Your mistaken all states it's illegal for a guy to be in a female restroom. Shocker huh not what you have been told however cities have decided not to enforce these laws. This was the big thing in North Carolina they didn't create a new law what they said was no manicipality can modify current state laws and must abide by them. People took this to mean they created a law banning something well they didn't they created a law saying the entire state must and will follow state laws.

As to the laws transgender all ready has the protection from gender discrimination. They cannot be discriminated against using businesses or seeking housing. There are states that simply reaffirmed this and everyone agrees it's only right. But this has nothing to do with what are refers to as public decency laws which involves guys not being allowed in women's restrooms for example. The wife had to explain this to me being a lawyer. Bottom line an issue was created to give rights to a group no other group has at the expense of another. And my view point is since thus effects females they should be the one to decide. Very similar to my stance on abortion.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

You are incorrect. Gender identity is not the same as gender. Not all states or cities have non-discrimination laws that include gender identity. Transgender people fall under gender identity. Even the ones that do have the ordinance differ in what respect the non-discrimination covers. For example, in Houston, Texas, their ordinance protects gender identity only in city employment, not in housing or private employment or public accommodation. That means that in Houston, a transgender person can legally be forced to use the restroom of their biological sex, but in Austin, they can't.

I'm telling you it really is not the boogy man that conservatives are trying to convince you it is. Big hairy men aren't going into the women's room to scare the bejesus out of women because of the inclusion of gender identity under non-discrimination laws . It just ain't happening.

Oh, there are some women out there who are reeeealllly uncomfortable with ANYONE in the bathroom with them. So, I guess they have the right to kick all the other women out, to make them more comfortable?

edit on 6-6-2016 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

You are incorrect. Gender identity is not the same as gender. Not all states or cities have non-discrimination laws that include gender identity. Transgender people fall under gender identity. Even the ones that do have the ordinance differ in what respect the non-discrimination covers. For example, in Houston, Texas, their ordinance protects gender identity only in city employment, not in housing or private employment or public accommodation. That means that in Houston, a transgender person can legally be forced to use the restroom of their biological sex, but in Austin, they can't.

I'm telling you it really is not the boogy man that conservatives are trying to convince you it is. Big hairy men aren't going into the women's room to scare the bejesus out of women because of the inclusion of gender identity under non-discrimination laws . It just ain't happening.

Oh, there are some women out there who are reeeealllly uncomfortable with ANYONE in the bathroom with them. So, I guess they have the right to kick all the other women out, to make them more comfortable?

Again we can't afford rights to one group at the expense of another. If women don't like guys being in the bathroom with them they have that right.Supreme court gave it to them even allows for gyms to be women only so they don't have to work out with guys. As a society we recognize a woman's right to privacy though males don't have the same options I'll add. So where right back to what I said earlier as a society are we ok with women being made uncomfortable in public and do we have that right to ask them to be?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

1. Gyms are recognized as private clubs - not public accommodations, therefore they can legally restrict membership to whomever they want.

2. Are we okay with a woman walking into a public restroom and demanding everyone leave because she is uncomfortable going to the bathroom in front of anyone else?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join