It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a CNC Job starting Monday, Quiting flooring installers job

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
OK guys looking for some alternative perspective from people in construction and CNC.

I am considering leaving the flooring job for a new career in CNC for more stable working conditions.

However I'm really curious what you think.

I'll be making a little less money to start but I think there's potential to advance quickly A because of my work ethic and drive and B because I am detail oriented and skilled in math and logic.

My problem with flooring is that it's hard on my body and it's very feast or famine.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Once you have gotten a good grounding in CNC operations you will be in demand. I have two members of my lodge who constantly get new contracts every year from the various medical device manufacturers in the area or they leverage that for a raise.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I keep reading the demand is really high but the average machinist only makes 22 an hour. I'm going to get into programming and design which pays substantially more but I dont understand why the demand isn't reflective of wages?

Also do you know how much they make and if I remember correctly you're in Texas right?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I am in New Jersey. They both make around $80,000. One was a supervisor for Kearfott and was making more but wanted to go back to just being a programmer.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Ok so the difference in wages would be about 60k a year in my area measured against cost of living. I spend a good amount of time Matawan.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Good move !!!

and good luck ...

CNC is less boring too !!

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

There is a very large presence by the medical device industry here. Stryker, Zimmer and Philips all have operations. This spurs the secondary market who manufacture the tools, cases and fasteners used in the actual surgery. Plus we still have a fairly good aerospace manufacturing base with Sikorsky, Pratt, the airports and the residual from having Curtiss Wright here for decades.

I have a another friends who works in Queens at a Boeing sub building landing gear assemblies where everyone except him is in their 50's and 60's and they are all making around $120,000 because no one wants to 'work in a factory'.

It is air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter, not like factory work from decades ago.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Factory work doesn't bother me I worked on a printing press for a year until my allergies couldnt sustain anymore.

I was at a shop today interviewing and asking question for a few hours and checking it out.

They said there is tons of demand and noone there was even remotely close to my age.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
They said there is tons of demand and noone there was even remotely close to my age.

They were all older? If so, I am not surprised. Some one ambitious and talented enough can be a supervisor in short order and increasing their value in the market.

edit on 6-6-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but if he did he would drink it from a skull

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Lots of overtime. In my experience (I'm a welder working in a machine shop with three large cnc machines) the cnc guys work a ton of overtime, you can make a lot of money. But it looks rather boring to me.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

What kind of flooring did you install. I had a flooring and design store before retired. Good installers are priceless.
Hard to find vinyl guys. No real money in it unless you can provide luan and mark it up.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Lots of overtime. In my experience (I'm a welder working in a machine shop with three large cnc machines) the cnc guys work a ton of overtime, you can make a lot of money. But it looks rather boring to me.

This. I work a lot of overtime at my shop. 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week. It can be kind of boring. I get to do other things as well as machining though which helps. I think if I was on the machines my whole shift I'd probably go crazy.

What kind of shop did you get in at? What kind of material will you be working with?
edit on 6/6/2016 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I think CNC machining/ advanced manufacturing is a great career move.

I did CNC machining myself for awhile, i even worked on a Miyano ABX machine (costs like $600,000) - scared the hell out of me the first time I ran my own program code on it LOL

Do you know if you will be on mills or lathes or grinders or what kind of machines?

I loved the (CMM) coordinate measuring machine and a bunch of other cool measuring devices for checking precise/accurate dimensions.

Some of the tolerances are incredible... a hundred thousandth of an inch, etc.

I no longer do that kind of work but I administer grants and facilitate government X private partnerships involved in CNC training programs.

Wishing you best of luck in this new endeavor OneQuestion

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Do you know if you will be using G and M code programming language or any other fun details like that?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They were all older? If so, I am not surprised. Some one ambitious and talented enough can be a supervisor in short order and increasing their value in the market.

Exactly my thinking. I'm also already signed up for 12 credit in fall and they want me to continue schooling.

I'm thinking there is a ton of opportunity here.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Hardwood, carpet, tile, vct, refinishing.

Refinishing is good money but the jobs aren't steady for it.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Exactly my thinking. I'm also already signed up for 12 credit in fall and they want me to continue schooling.

I'm thinking there is a ton of opportunity here.

Well good for you then. I wish you success in your new career.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

This. I work a lot of overtime at my shop. 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week. It can be kind of boring. I get to do other things as well as machining though which helps. I think if I was on the machines my whole shift I'd probably go crazy.

What kind of shop did you get in at? What kind of material will you be working with?

belrick.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Do you know if you will be using G and M code programming language or any other fun details like that?

I've been learning that the programming end of it is after you get some solid machining experience under your belt and I'm taking manufacturing design and engineering classes in fall learning g

Wishing you best of luck in this new endeavor OneQuestion

thanks
edit on 6/6/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

belrick.com...

They seem like a pretty good company to get in with and it seems like you'll get to do some pretty fun things on your machines.

Congrats!
I've been following your CNC threads and I'm glad your managing to work your way into something you really want to do. Good luck with everything. I hope it all works out for you.
edit on 6/6/2016 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join