It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural Childbirth. Did you? Would you again?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Did twice, and NO, would not again, given a choice. First one, I thought I wanted to go natural. Then I went from 6cm to the baby coming in under 30 minutes. Seriously intense, and I wanted the pain relief, but it was too late to do it then. Second one, they had to induce, and there wasn't adequate staffing (gee, thanks, "great" military family health care...) to provide an epidural. So, hours and hours of intense labor, and no relief at all. That one got stuck, too.

Rest were c-sections, but I wouldn't have gone without the epidurals, had a regular delivery been possible. Better, I think, to relieve the pain and have a better experience.

Personal decision, of course, and you have to weigh the pros and cons yourself.

Oh, labor times. First one was pretty fast. First twinges around 1oam, I think, nothing regular for hours, then it progressed till arrival, and hit FAST at the end, under 12 hours all the way through. Second was way different. Labor, real labor, on and off for three weeks, that never progressed, till they induced, and even then, the little squirt wouldn't engage his head so they could break the water and speed things up!! My oldest, her first came out FAST, under an hour, from start to delivery. Second, not as fast, but not too long. Varies alot.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Definitely no pressure here, but I do love hearing others experiences, no matter the outcome.

Plus, the birth plan HAS to be done, so I might as well make as informed of a choice as I can.

I'm enticed by natural childbirth ( like Chelsdh said below) because i've seen a few women who were almost to loopy to enjoy seeing their baby for the first time. It would be equally as bad to be so tired you couldn't enjoy it though.

The thing is, an epidural alone shouldn't make you loopy at all. They block pain, but not pressure, and you can remain alert through the procedure. Did three c-sections that way, and not a bit loopy in those!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   

I'm currently working on my "birth plan" as mandated by my doctor.
One of the most pressing questions is natural, or drug free. I can always change my mind, of course, but I'd love some perspective from some mothers who did decide to go drug free.
If you did go the natural route, would you do it again? Why or why not? What influenced your decision?
Were there other techniques you employed as a pain management strategy? Did you just embrace it?

I went the natural route .... at the time i had my children (four) there was only

one way, natural with a shave and an enema!! Gas and air only being allowed in

the very final stage of pushing.

Having seen and heard other peoples experiences including that of my girls, If i

had my time again i would do the same. I put down my lack of needing stitches

was down to riding with the contractions, my first labour was 16 hours and each

one after that slightly shorter, and no *spectators* were allowed either. It was

normal too at that time, to stay in bed for 10 days after!! LOL!

I had my first two in hospital, and the other two at home due mainly to the

*breast feeding Nazi's* at the hospitals.

I know exactly one person who went drug free, and she did it because there just wasn't time to administer anything. That person is my mother, so if I get the "baby just falls out" gene, it could be me, too.
Everyone else stresses GET THE DRUGS; but, I'm a pretty natural person. I'm not opposed, but I'd like to consider it.

As giving birth is a *natural process* I would say to you go for it .... My youngest

daughter (whose first delivery was a 'von touse') and myself are all for *just doing

it* and forgoing all the latest frills and friparies and the latest popular *to do* things!

Any advice, ladies?

Do what feels right for you *GOOD LUCK* Its the best thing you'll ever do!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Hi there! My wife is very interested in doing a natural child birth as well (we are about 31 weeks), and so far everyone looks very healthy.

We had our first birthing class yesterday that is geared towards natural child births, and we are also using a Doula. We are kind of balancing it out using a hospital that has midwives and has a lot of experience with natural child birth. That was our compromise since I would like to at least plan to be near emergency help if needed.

I think classes and a doula are invaluable - just after one class we have gained a lot more confidence, and my wife knows that she will be in control of how she wants to give birth. So far the plan basically is natural, labor in the birthing tub, then for delivery she wants to deliver on the bed but not in the (knees in the air position).

Like others have mentioned, that is just a plan and things can change. I would be happy to provide some more insight into what we have learned in the birthing classes so far, so if you have any questions just ask. This is our first child so we are new to this as well, but we have learned a lot so far.

Congrats and good luck to everyone!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Despite telling the anesthesiologist MULTIPLE times AND getting it in writing that I am VERY sensitive to pain meds and didn't want a FULL amount (they can control the flow) he still started me out at the "normal" amount and I promptly passed the # out. Babies O2 sat went way down and they couldn't wake me for several minutes. Scared the crap out of my husband and I was LIVID when I woke up. The whole thing was pushed on me from day one I suspect to make it easier on the staff. This was a military hospital FYI...If I had it to do again, I'd put my foot down and say no.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I'm enticed by natural childbirth ( like Chelsdh said below) because i've seen a few women who were almost to loopy to enjoy seeing their baby for the first time. It would be equally as bad to be so tired you couldn't enjoy it though.

First time I was in labor for 14 hrs. All natural.

Second time I was in labor for 2 hrs. Natural was still best, but that time I took the drugs. I don't care what Nancy Reagan said, when you're the one on the table, DRUGS ARE GOOD.

As far as being loopy when seeing the baby for the first time, just remember that you'll see that baby every night at midnight, 2am, 4am, 6am, etc., and you'll be loopy as hell then too. The only difference is that at 4am you won't have access to drugs to put you out of your misery.
Follow your heart and your instincts.

Congratulations in advance for whatever path you choose to follow. Kids grow up really fast, so enjoy em' while they're at home. (Both of mine are now in their 40's)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Just popping in to say thank you to everyone. I've been in the garden since yesterday (I think I fell asleep in there). I'll read ns reply to everyone soon.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Just popping in to say thank you to everyone. I've been in the garden since yesterday (I think I fell asleep in there). I'll read ns reply to everyone soon.

That's awesome ! You only have so much control on how your baby will be born...lol...lesson #1 of Motherhood ! You do have total control, hopefully with blessings from Daddy , on how you will feed and raise your child, Oh Boy....this is important stuff ! Getting a good water filter system, good nutrition for you and your family, soak any fruits and veggies you buy in apple vinegar and rinse well , respect and eat humanely raised or hunted animals, make your own baby food from the garden...teach your baby to Love Nature.....

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
So, after reading everyone's really thoughtful and helpful comments and experiences, and talking with my OB/GYN, my partner, family and friends, I feel really comfortable with my decision to aim for as drug free of a birth as possible, barring and complications.

I really love that everyone here was kind enough to open up to me about their experiences with their children's births, and I'm really thankful. A lot of the advice I hear on a weekly basis are the typical, "scare tactics" like, "It's going to hurt so much, you'll be crying for weeks," and, "I hope it doesn't tear you in half!" "Advice" like this just isn't helpful to mothers, even if the pain part is true. I'm an advocate for facing things head on as much as possible, and I really wish advice givers, other mothers especially, would be more supportive, crushing the fear mongerring surrounding pregnancy and childbirth.

Thanks to everyone who wished the baby and I well. We're doing great so far. No morning sickness; a weird aversion to meat most days, and the smell of meat cooking; vivid nightmares, but, I've always been a vivid dreamer and I never feel overly terrified by the experience; and, slight shortness of breath. Everything else has been easy peasy. No weight gain at 20 weeks, which my doctor doesn't like, but I'm not that worried about it,

Someone asked what the baby's name was going to be, and we have picked out names for a girl and boy, but I don't feel comfortable sharing. One is an older name, and one is a family name.

To SonofThor: Thanks for adding your thread to this thread, hopefully lots of expectant parents in the future can use this thread to ask questions or vent. Please return and let me know how things went, and if you used the birthing tub. My hospital doesn't have one, but I would love it to be an option, so may petition the hospital to let us bring our own.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Absolutely, apologies for adding a thread, the search function on my phone was acting wonky. It sounds like you are on the same path we were, in terms of getting as much info from people and making your decision for yourself. As you progress further in your pregnancy, have you thought about getting a Doula / doing birthing classes?

Either way, if you have any questions I can provide links to some of the reading material we're using with our class. One other major benefit I'm seeing is having other couples in the class who are in the same exact boat we are, so we can all work through any fears / thoughts / advice together.

It is an exciting time, and I've developed an even bigger appreciation for the amazing thing all of you ladies do, especially going through pregnancy. Y'all are super heroes in my book, and I wish everyone who is expecting continued health and happy pregnancies.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

We would love to have a doula or midwife, but we have no access to one in our area (super rural), only three sites in our province have a midwife program, and we aren't one.

We aren't doing birthing classes. I'm pretty experienced, baby wise, and have attended quite a few births. The only prenatal classes here are government style ones, they're basically just reading from a book.

This book to be exact: Healthy Pregnancy Healthy Baby: A New Life. (Will open PDF file!)

We have the book all ready, so it's just not what we're after.

I hope to get my hands on other materials regarding hypno birthing and pain management techniques.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I can't believe people still pass on scare tactics to expectant mothers. That's just not the support anyone needs.
Of course it's painful, but the pain goes away immediately the minute your baby enters the world, and you are so overjoyed with happiness and emotion that everything else is secondary. That much I can say is true for the experience of most moms. Focus on that part of the experience and you'll do fine.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Wife just had a natural birth, 2:14 AM this morning. Just like AccessDenied just said, the pain was gone as soon as the baby was free! Very proud of her, and you will also do just fine. I encouraged her to take the epidural, but this was the first time she outright refused.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

Wife just had a natural birth, 2:14 AM this morning. Just like AccessDenied just said, the pain was gone as soon as the baby was free! Very proud of her, and you will also do just fine. I encouraged her to take the epidural, but this was the first time she outright refused.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Yes, a very, very big congratulations!!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join