It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the European Union allow the UK to leave?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

1. Will the EU(or the UK Government) really allow a fair Brexit Vote if it becomes clear they will vote out?

2. Will the EU(or the UK Government) actually honor the vote if the UK Citizens vote to get out?

I'm a Brit voting to stay in the EU and hope they won't let us leave.

1. I think the Conservatives and EU will allow a fair Brexit vote.

2. I think the Conservatives will not honour an out vote and along with pro EU allies in Parliament will do something to keep us in.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

The legal framework We might start with the EU Referendum Act, which received royal assent just before Christmas. It sets out the referendum rules, so could be expected to define the effect of a vote either way. Alas, it does not: it makes no provision as to the referendum’s legal effect. That is because, strictly speaking, it has no legal effect. It will be purely advisory and, in law, the government could simply ignore the result.

constitution-unit.com...

I have bolded the important point

We are already on the EU naughty step because of the referendum, think we will get our way after the vote if it is to stay in ............ don't delude yourself

Just Saying
edit on 2016-06-06T15:04:22-05:002016Mon, 06 Jun 2016 15:04:22 -0500bMonday0406America/Chicago163 by corblimeyguvnor because: forgot to quote, it's not my article

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

I am voting to stay myself. I have lived in other countries in Europe and have experience outside of the Islands and, after weighing all the issues that I believe are relevant and taking all of that into account, I can't see us benefitting more from leaving than staying.

That being said, if the UK public vote to leave, and that vote is in any way ignored, I will be the first in line with the absolutely massive protests that will take place.

If our votes mean anything, they must count, if not then time to change the system.

I beg to differ with your position on it being better to stay. I too have lived in many countries in EU over the last 30 years, including France, Germany, Holland and now part time in Spain and my experience over that time tells me we should leave. If we do vote to stay I will actually be leaving the UK for good.

The problems ahead facing the EU are nothing short of a disaster in waiting. There is already a 20 billion or MORE black hole in the EU's finances and that hole will grow over the coming years and when the EU goes fully tits up they will have to go to China or the US for a bailout and have to live with the consequences of that.

When you have an non democratically lead federal union made up of 28 member states that have laws defined by 28 non elected commissioners (placed) when those nation states have different GDP's, populations, education systems and standards, health care and standards, tax systems, cultures, debt mountains, industry sectors, wealth etc etc, spells disaster in the making never mind waiting.

You should read this thread and then decide on your vote

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6-6-2016 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
it won,t happen cause it will be like the vote for scottish independence,when it actually comes down to it people will change their mind at the last min and think change is too scary so will vote to stay in,i guarantee it.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Contrary to what some people want to believe, the UK is still sovereign and can do what it likes. If the referendum returns a "leave" result then the UK will leave.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

We can agree to disagree right?

You say there is already a 20 billion euro black hole: Would the UK be free from any responsibility to that debt if we simply upped and left? More to the point, would the UK, having left the European Union, be a relevant world player, on which all of our economy survives?

As for the rest it is what it is.

There were a lot of words used in your post, but not many actually meant anything did they?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The Leave camp seem to be pulling ahead , the EU referendum poll tracker is giving Leave a 5 point lead at 48% to 43% with 9% still undecided , still all to play for but I'm cautiously optimistic.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
First I should mention I am a UKIP activist. There is reports coming out that in the event of a BREXIT vote parliament will defy the people. Civil War, just saying..

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   

The vote is merely a formality to make it look democratic. It's all decided behind closed doors. And the UK will tell the EU what they're gonna do. They own the EU most likely. The eu has no influence over the UK, they're way too strong.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance

The vote is merely a formality to make it look democratic. It's all decided behind closed doors. And the UK will tell the EU what they're gonna do. They own the EU most likely. The eu has no influence over the UK, they're way too strong.

You know ABSOLUTELY nothing about the EU or the current state of affairs

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I am a strong out voter. I believe that the majority will vote out from my personal experience I only know 2-3 people that want to stay. I do feel it has already been decided that we stay due to vote rigging and back handers from the already corrupt beurocrats in Brussels tho

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Newspapers have already pointed out that "leaving" would actually be a complex legal process. Legislation would have to be repealed or amended. Getting detached from the treaty would be a complex diplomatic process. This is not something that could happen overnight.
I've already seen the suggestion that the House of Commons has a pro-Remain majority who could be willing to slow down or water down the necessary legislation.
It is probably safe to say that the elite who run the EU don't want any country to leave. They would probably be as unhelpful as possible during the negotiations about the treaty.
The British government, even in the unlikely event that Cameron stayed in charge, would not positively disavow the result. Wheels would be set in motion, but they would not move quickly.

edit on 12-6-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo
First I should mention I am a UKIP activist. There is reports coming out that in the event of a BREXIT vote parliament will defy the people. Civil War, just saying..

Civil war? How? With what as weapons?

Where's the history of 'civil war'? Power struggles, perhaps. Civil war? By and of the people?

The commonality between the U.K. and the rest of Europe is your all traditionally feudalists and enjoy serfdom as long as your basics are covered.

If somehow you do break the chains, one way or another, I would be shocked and proud beyond belief.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

If there is a vote to leave the EU, I expect that a General Election will be called and the Scottish Nationalists will seek another referendum themselves, presumably as a way to stay in Europe. Scottish nationalism is an interesting dynamic, because the nationalists want to leave the UK (i.e. the English), but are happy to stay with an even more unaccountable lot in Europe.

There will be mayhem. However, the politicians will be obliged to seek a pull-out from Europe. I am not sure the British sense of fair play will allow the outcome of the referendum to be undelivered.

I also think that there will be wider implications on Europe. Possibly other countries will demand their own referenda. Frankly, opinion polls show a growing negative view of the EU by constituent populations, even in France. This means that the EU will be hard on the UK as a lesson to other dissenters.

All good fun, or not.

I'm still undecided. Part of me wants to leave just to see what would happen!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I'm voting OUT.

To be honest, in some ways I hope that in the event of the Exit vote being successful the UK government and / or the EU tries to ignore the will of the people and try to force us to Remain.

That just may tip the British people over the top and force us to remove from power the select elite who run this country and start the process of changing the UK into something we can ALL be proud of.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

I think there is some sort of agenda at play here and no matter what that agenda is we can all be assured it certainly won't have the best interests of the likes of you and I at heart.

Surely even David Cameron and Boris Johnson can't be as incompetent and inane as they have both so clearly revealed themselves to be?

No public figure taking part in either campaign has covered themselves in glory and the most able and competent have been the general public in their questioning and reasoning with the assorted imbeciles.

But I do feel there is a gathering momentum behind the Brexit campaign - certainly in traditionally working class areas who feel alienated by both the EU and Westminster.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The EU will not want to go too hard on the UK following a leave vote despite whatever the remain campaign says.

The UK is the 5th largest economy on the planet. Indeed if you take the combined GDP of the 19 bottom members of the EU it doesn't add up to that of the UK alone. We are a bigger contributor to the EU than almost every other member state.

Huge amounts of trade happens both ways between the UK and other member states, with several EU industries relying on UK trade to survive. It would be foolish to think that this would just stop if we left. Certainly there would be some disruption initially while new trade agreements are drawn up, but it will settle. It's just a matter of taking the hit for a short time until this happens.

The biggest worry in Brussels is the knock on effect if Britain leaves. There are countries with poorer EU support than the UK (France is a key example) and a Brexit may just be enough to collapse the Union.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

Apologies for temporarily taking over this thread but......

We are already on the EU naughty step because of the referendum, ....

One of the many powers the EU plans to give itself after the UK referendum is a ban on further referenda in EU countries on EU related issues.

Democracy at work?

a reply to: nwtrucker

Civil war? How? With what as weapons?

It has happened before you know.

The British people have a long history of removing tyrants one way or another.

The commonality between the U.K. and the rest of Europe is your all traditionally feudalists and enjoy serfdom as long as your basics are covered.

Oh how little you know and understand the British people.

edit on 12/6/16 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: PaddyInf
The EU will not want to go too hard on the UK following a leave vote despite whatever the remain campaign says.

Oh, I don't know. The EU will be deeply vulnerable to other nations looking to test their public opinion...

There is a risk of ‘political contagion’ from Brexit as it could fuel Euroscepticism elsewhere, particularly if the UK is seen to benefit in politically sensitive areas like migration.

A report

The EU will seek to make things difficult for the UK as a way to dissuade others following.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I don't or understand the British people? Fair enough. I'm perfectly willing to change my opinion....show me. Not 'history'. One can only rest on that one for so long before it fades into a yawn.

When I see it, I will believe it....and you'll receive my apologies.....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join