It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piers Morgan Feeling The Heat For Ali Comments, Fair or Not?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Arizonaguy

As I recall, when Ali converted and made these political statements there was a huge cry about it. They were not well accepted by the general public , Those that did not like what he said protested his words.

I was thinking the same. He said what he said. It was years ago. I don't think it needs to be rehashed now. Have some respect and let him RIP. I never liked Piers Morgan anyway.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

That was in the mid 70s...so his remarks of a few years earlier didn't
destroy him

Correct. Even before his conversion, when he was Cassius Clay he had been controversial. He had been an out spoken and very self confident. This was something new. Sports stars were suppose to exemplify the American Message. The Norman Rockwell hero signing cards with adoring kids all around his feet. Clay was seen as being belligerent, what with his taunting and all. This is common place now but he was way ahead of that. At that time America still had this ' gentelman pugilist' image in it's head. Clay blew that out of the water.

So when he converted and changed his name he shocked the nation and seemed to many to be a black man out of control, and this was greatly upsetting, to have not only a sports superstar but a black superstar go off the reservation was even more upsetting. He apparently did not know 'his place'

But Ali rode the wave of American youth at that time towards integration and acceptance and soon became the icon he is remembered as. I recall that I was a Liston fan when they first fought. But Clay dispatched him cleanly and it was not long before I was an Ali fan too.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
a reply to: tommo39
We all know why he converted to islam. The war in Vietnam is over so why continue to practice it?
Maybe someone knocked some sense into him...

Could say he was a coward/treason, but I would have faked a religion to get out of war too, like many others. Oh and he wasn't the greatest. He was the greatest entertainer but not the best boxer of all time. Sugar ray Robinson is regarded as better.

The army wanted to use him as an entertainer, not as a soldier. He wouldnt have been in any danger at all. But he had real integrity and didnt want to contribute to the war effort. He wasnt a coward. He was a hero.

And his coversion to Islam was legitimate. He didnt want to aid the war effort because he believed that it would cause him to burn in hell.
edit on 6/6/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
All you have to do is look up Louis Farrakhan's and Muhammad Ali's spiritual mentor, Mr. ELIJAH MUHAMMAD, and you'll know that Piers Morgan isn't making this up.

Reverend Jerimiah Wright, who was President Obama's pastor for a couple of decades, spews the same Anti-White rhetoric.

Not saying that any of them were/are wrong or right.. just posting facts.

Thats racist though....

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I always considered Ali and his family an anti-American, hate group. I don't watch boxing so that is my only opinion of the man and his politics.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
a reply to: Spider879
So cos he didn't go to Canada, that means that he didn't join the religion to avoid his duty to his country. I agree with his political stance on it, and I admitted I would have done similar things, but to ignore the obvious reason for it is just silly.

Many people in america would see it as treason or some other similar definition. He had a duty to serve his country and hid behind a religion. He felt he was better than the average man (defo in terms of charisma) and didn't need to serve the country that provided for him (let's not get too political, plz no BP quotes ).

If sugar ray proclaimed to be the greatest on a consistent basis, he would have been regarded as the greatest. He just didn't self proclaim. Simple. 91 fight wins in a row is a different league.

He stood up for himself against a country that racially oppressed him and wanted him to support the mass murder of a people that posed no threat to him. He actually considered that would get him sent to hell, which is why he didnt do it.

He wouldnt have been in any danger because the army only wanted him for entertainment purposes.

The average American didnt have the integrity and courage to do what Ali did. If they did, no one would have gone to Vietnam. Ali WAS better than the average man. Thats why he's famous and respected in a way that transcends sports stardom.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
He just said it in an antagonizing way to get a reaction.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Muhammad Ali answered racism.......... by becoming a racist himself.

[/thread]

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I always considered Ali and his family an anti-American, hate group. I don't watch boxing so that is my only opinion of the man and his politics.

Its funny that being anti-american was good for America. The Vietnam Conflict (spineless government didnt even declare it a war lol) was a disaster. Wed be better off if it never happened.

If the average american followed Alis example, everyone would have dodged the draft. Vietnam then wouldnt have happened. And America would be better off. That sounds very pro-American.

In fact, everyone fighting in the war was actively, and if they were against the war then they were also knowingly, damaging America. Thats anti-American.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

People can say what they're going to say, I think that what Piers is missing is that Muhammed Ali was just a celebrity, Trump in the past year is trying to get political office rather than just be a celebrity. If he was just remaining a private citizen and saying what he's saying it wouldn't be as big a deal.

Some will see that as a double standard and I agree, but I see nothing wrong with that. People seeking to be in positions of authority should be held to a higher standard.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join