It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the purpose of Ramadan?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
In the Bible only Israel was commanded to fast and that for a very short time usually 24 hours no more. Not every 12 hours during daylight for 30 days. Jesus reiterated fasting by telling the Jews not to look like they were fasting or let people know they were fasting as they have their reward already as do these Mohammadites.

While there are few instances of people fasting in the Bible but they are all Jews. Christians were never told they had to fast. It is a choice for them to want to fast or not, no commands.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
In the Bible only Israel was commanded to fast and that for a very short time usually 24 hours no more. Not every 12 hours during daylight for 30 days. Jesus reiterated fasting by telling the Jews not to look like they were fasting or let people know they were fasting as they have their reward already as do these Mohammadites.

While there are few instances of people fasting in the Bible but they are all Jews. Christians were never told they had to fast. It is a choice for them to want to fast or not, no commands.

Wow thanks for the"lesson" on Hebrew fasting traditions.

Not relevant to Ramadan though.

The word is Muslim.

"These Muhammedites" is pretty much saying you like Muslims in a cowardly way.
edit on 5-6-2016 by Szarah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Szarah
Just goes to show you that religion has nothing to do with knowing God.

You could read for yourself the types of Fasting found in the Holy Bible, if you ever read a the Holy Bible.

edit on 5-6-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

(post by Szarah removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

(post by Szarah removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sadface
It's not really fasting if you are feasting once the sun goes down. In that respect I fast year round, just from sunset to sun rise.

a reply to: WombRaider69

And that's where the English word breakfast comes from... breaking the fast from dinner til morning.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

religious indoctrination and control over their followers.
Yes, if you have control over the sheep they will follow whatever you want. Just look what "Jim Jones" did to his followers, murdered the lot.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sadface

I fully agree.

In the Bible God called fasting "afflict your soul"

Leviticus 16:29 And this shall be a statute for ever unto you: that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, ye shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether it be one of your own country, or a stranger that sojourneth among you:
Leviticus 23:27 Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
Leviticus 23:28 And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God.
Leviticus 23:29 For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.

the Longest fast is found here

1 Samuel 31:13 And they took their bones, and buried them under a tree at Jabesh, and fasted seven days.
Ezra 8:21 Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river of Ahava, that we might afflict ourselves before our God, to seek of him a right way for us, and for our little ones, and for all our substance.
I bet not one of these Mohammadians could ever make that many days without eating

Leviticus 23:30 And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people.
Leviticus 23:31 Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
Leviticus 23:32 It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

Notice it was never for any great length of time.

here are some examples of fasting one for seven days, and others from sun up til sundown,

2 Samuel 1:12 And they mourned, and wept, and fasted until even, for Saul, and for Jonathan his son, and for the people of the LORD, and for the house of Israel; because they were fallen by the sword.
2 Samuel 12:16 David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth.
2 Samuel 12:21 Then said his servants unto him, What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread.
2 Samuel 12:22 And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?
1 Chronicles 10:12 They arose, all the valiant men, and took away the body of Saul, and the bodies of his sons, and brought them to Jabesh, and buried their bones under the oak in Jabesh, and fasted seven days.
I would like to see some Mohammadians last seven days of fasting.

here are some more examples not telling us for what length they fasted

1 Kings 21:9 And she wrote in the letters, saying, Proclaim a fast, and set Naboth on high among the people:
1 Kings 21:12 They proclaimed a fast, and set Naboth on high among the people.
1 Kings 21:27 And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly.
2 Chronicles 20:3 And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the LORD, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah.
Nehemiah 1:4 And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,
Nehemiah 9:1 Now in the twenty and fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackclothes, and earth upon them.
Esther 4:3 And in every province, whithersoever the king's commandment and his decree came, there was great mourning among the Jews, and fasting, and weeping, and wailing; and many lay in sackcloth and ashes.

Heres one for three days

Esther 4:16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.

here is a fast not chosen by the LORD

Isaiah 58:3 Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.
Isaiah 58:4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
Isaiah 58:5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?

here's one tha tis chosen by the LORD

Isaiah 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

To find more simply read through the Holy Preserved Bible

edit on 5-6-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Alot of quotes and spiritual guidance going on here. It's plain and simple. It was a bad harvest. Nothing more nothing less. They later justified it with prophets and quotes. To think otherwise is obsurd.

God has allowed you to eat how you like and then, just after a flood and entire crops were lost, only then, did god/prophet decide that fasting was a must and help open the gates of heaven. Seriously?

It's horrible how a simple stock management crisis spirals into this, without people questioning the true justification behind it (like everything in religious context, based on socio-economic problems of the time)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Ramadan is nothing more than ritualistic day time fasting that results in little if any good thing for the Mohammadian.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew
You keep going on about bad harvest, I would be curious where you got this idea from. Is it simply some "logical" thinking that you applied because you (or someone you read) could not wrap their mind around the concept? Or is there some historical source you are drawing from?

Because the Islamic calendar is shorter than the solar calendar used more commonly. Thus the month of Ramadan moves throughout the solar year. Now it is occurring in summer for the northern hemisphere, about 15 years ago it was in winter. So your theory about flooding (in Arabia? In the desert?
) or bad harvests make no sense.

a reply to: ChesterJohn
What on earth are you saying, exactly? I don't quite get your point. And what on earth is a Mohammadian?
A good christian would definitely fast, although I suppose it isn't compulsory.
But then a good christian would also be capable of healing the sick, helping the blind see again, curing madness and bringing the dead back to life.
Not a lot of good christians around these days...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join