It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Johns Hopkins Chief of Psychiatry Says Trans Movement is “Collaborating with Madness”

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The best part of this whole discussion is that on the title alone it says FORMER so now Johns Hopkins is to blame for the view of one person who went there?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: neo96

The ignorance astounds me.

I don't know if you've heard, but there's this condition called gender dysphoria. It is a situation where the gender that a person identifies with in their brain doesn't match their born sex. The dysphoria part is the discomfort and despair they feel because of this difference between what their brain is telling them and what they see on the outside.

Therapy alone has not solved this dysphoria.

Anti-depressants have not solved this dysphoria.

Anti-psych meds have not solved this dysphoria.

Praying has not solved this dysphoria.

Ignoring it has not solved this dysphoria.

People with gender dysphoria are living miserable lives, which is why they seek relief. Can you blame them for seeking relief? What would YOU have them do, seeing how none of the above thing I listed have worked as well as hormones and surgery.

Fun fact.... Disphoria is a BELIEF... I was diagnosed with Body DYSMORPHIC Disorder and I see a different person every time I see a reflection or a photo.... but MINE is a mental disorder and yours is not?

Explain?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija
ah yah typical Progressive blogpost and even the comments don't agree with it.... he hasn't been debunked

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO
You guys and gals
need to face the facts that this is one of the fields that science is entirely a crapshoot on, and ON PURPOSE is not figuring out the truth about anything.

SCIENCE, does NOT hold the answer here, HOW MUCH MORE BLOODY OBVIOUS CAN IT GET THAT SCIENCE is being CONTROLLED, and ACROSS THE BOARD.

I think you are quite right.

What do you think their goals are with their manipulations of this issue and the hapless folks involved in such angst?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

The difference is in how they are treated.

The standard treatment for body dysmorphia is meds and psychotherapy.

How Is Body Dysmorphic Disorder Treated?
Treatment for BDD likely will include a combination of the following therapies:

Psychotherapy: This is a type of individual counseling that focuses on changing the thinking (cognitive therapy) and behavior (behavioral therapy) of a person with body dysmorphic disorder. The goal is to correct the false belief about the defect and to minimize the compulsive behavior.
Medication: Certain antidepressant medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are showing promise in treating body dysmorphic disorder, as are antipsychotic medicines such as olanzapine, aripiprazole, or pimozide (either alone or in combination with an SSRI). No drug is formally FDA-approved for the treatment of BDD.
Group and/or family therapy: Family support is very important to treatment success. It is important that family members understand body dysmorphic disorder and learn to recognize its signs and symptoms.

www.webmd.com...

The standard treatment for gender dysphoria is therapy and hormones/surgery:

Treatment
The goal is not to change how the person feels about his or her gender. Instead, the goal is to deal with the distress that may come with those feelings.

Talking with a psychologist or psychiatrist is part of any treatment for gender dysphoria. "Talk" therapy is one way to address the mental health issues that this condition can cause.

Beyond talk therapy, many people choose to take at least some steps to bring their physical appearance in line with how they feel inside. They might change the way they dress or go by a different name. They may also take medicine or have surgery to change their appearance. Possible treatments include:

Puberty blockers -- A young person in early puberty with gender dysphoria might ask to be prescribed hormones (testosterone or estrogen) that would suppress physical changes. Before making that decision, the young person should talk with a pediatrician and sometimes a psychiatrist about the pros and cons of taking these hormones, especially at a young age.
Hormones – Teens or adults may take the hormones estrogen or testosterone to develop traits of the sex that they identify with.
Surgery – Some people choose to have complete sex-reassignment surgery. This used to be called a sex-change operation. But not everyone does. People may choose to have only some procedures done in order to bring their looks more in line with their feelings.

www.webmd.com...

This isn't just me saying this. This is the medical experts.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Speaking the truth does not make one a bigot. But thanks for playing.

Having a mental illness is not a bad thing. So why am I getting insulted for saying transgenderism is a mental illness? Maybe you are the bigot.
edit on 7-6-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Healthexchange lol....

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I've said this before, and I'll say it again..

For a male to "feel" female, they must first conclude what a female "feels" like. Since this male was born male, he will never know what it really "feels" like to be a female, ever, ever... So the basis of their "feeling" starts off as a mental judgement... an erroneous assumption.

Then after the male makes this erroneous assumption, they must then perform the mental act of "identifying" as the female. We are not born to identify, no mentally stable person feels a natural need to "identify" as anything, only these transgender people feel the need to "identify" and its all a mental thing, your brain doesn't force you to "identify".

So its a two fold mental problem.
edit on 7-6-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Oh by the way for those who are so busy debunking the illustrious dr. McHugh.... He was one of the early pioneers of sex change operation.... amazing what lengths some people go to to defend their ideology... I knew this name sounded familiar... Because I posted an article about him just a couple weeks ago www.allenbwest.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Every human is capable of experiencing the whole range of sensations, feelings, desires.

Modern western culture divides the completeness of human experience and expression into two sides
to which every individual is funneled based merely on a bit of flesh.

When a person who happened to be born with a penis prefers fashion, softness, dolls, hugs, tea and sweetness
they are perceived as malfunctioning. Yet there is no intrinsic reason this human being's outer formation should
cause his personality to be considered flawed when the same personality would be valued if only a part of the flesh
was altered.

Reverse the analogy for one born with a vagina.

Since culture demands individuals conform to a personality profile that is coordinated with the proscribed roles, an individual at odds with this mandate has few options. Firstly they will be mistreated by nearly everyone throughout their
lives. One possible solution is to surgically alter the body so that society perceives an outside that matches the inside.
Sadly this is a "cure" that causes physical harm to an individual to correct what is a cultural problem.

Allow people to be who they are without persecuting or assaulting them and the world will be a better place.

Equating "undesirable" misfits with baby rapers is really, really low.

John Wayne Gacy was a church Deacon. Ted Bundy was an attorney. A serial killer sentenced in California yesterday worked at the police station. The people you need to worry about are blending in to look just like the rest of you.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: kaylaluv

It is simple, if you have a penis use the mens bathroom if you have a vagina use the womens bathroom.

If you have a vagina and a beard and the musculature of a man than yea a lot of men are going to assume your a predator.

Do you really blame them?

it;s not that simple...what about people that are intersexed?? which bathroom do they use?? I saw someone on a talk show..he looked male and had a penisbut also had a vagina..which bathroom does he use??? he had a girlfriend but her family was not happy that he had a vjajay

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

edit on 7-6-2016 by research100 because: double post

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: research100

0001391...wow...you really hit the nail on the head.......I am quoting the last part of your post...it stands repeating

John Wayne Gacy was a church Deacon. Ted Bundy was an attorney. A serial killer sentenced in California yesterday worked at the police station. The people you need to worry about are blending in to look just like the rest of you.

They dont care about us.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon

originally posted by: MysticPearl
If people think some Americans are closed minded about parts of this, imagine how this transgenderism would go over in the numerous Sharia dominated areas throughout Europe. Women get raped there just for being white.

Ironically, many of those "intolerant muslims" that you try to scare people with, like the muslims in Iran, are MORE TOLERANT than their christian counterparts in the US. In the US transgender people fight numerous state and federal bureaucracies for the simple right to use the restroom. In the US, numerous state governments seek to strip transgender people of equal rights. In the US, many transgender people pay the high cost for surgery out of pocket, because neither the government or insurance companies will do so.

In contrast, as of 2008, Iran carries out more sex change operations than any other nation in the world except for Thailand, and will pay for up to half of their surgical costs. They also change necessary government documents like birth certificates and passports, without the bureaucratic mess we have here.

Go figure.

I believe the murdering, raping, psychopaths being referred to are Sunni whabists. Those would be the ones that throw LBGT people off roof tops. You do know the difference right?

Or do we assume all middle east countries and Islam are the same religion?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Lmao, Freija just vigorously debunks the guy, and right under her post you say "he's absolutely correct" and get like 3x the amount of stars for your hearsay without any factual backing. And people say I was wrong in my thread about how the religious groups are dominating ATS lately. Threads like this prove it beyond a doubt and you have to be blind or part of the religious group not to see it.

Having said all that, I do agree to some extent that people who choose to have a sex change are not the most mentally stable people, I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. These people are forced to go through many hard things in their life and I'm sure it's hard when you aren't sure about your own identity. However, most "transgender" people do not have sex changes.

They simply dress up and act like the opposite sex without biologically altering themselves and most of them aren't crazy people, they simply feel more natural when behaving as the opposite sex, and that's understandable. It's not the end of the world ok, if you cannot even accept their mere existence on the planet then I would suggest there is something mentally wrong with you.
edit on 7/6/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

The difference is in how they are treated.

The standard treatment for body dysmorphia is meds and psychotherapy.

How Is Body Dysmorphic Disorder Treated?
Treatment for BDD likely will include a combination of the following therapies:

Psychotherapy: This is a type of individual counseling that focuses on changing the thinking (cognitive therapy) and behavior (behavioral therapy) of a person with body dysmorphic disorder. The goal is to correct the false belief about the defect and to minimize the compulsive behavior.
Medication: Certain antidepressant medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are showing promise in treating body dysmorphic disorder, as are antipsychotic medicines such as olanzapine, aripiprazole, or pimozide (either alone or in combination with an SSRI). No drug is formally FDA-approved for the treatment of BDD.
Group and/or family therapy: Family support is very important to treatment success. It is important that family members understand body dysmorphic disorder and learn to recognize its signs and symptoms.

www.webmd.com...

The standard treatment for gender dysphoria is therapy and hormones/surgery:

Treatment
The goal is not to change how the person feels about his or her gender. Instead, the goal is to deal with the distress that may come with those feelings.

Talking with a psychologist or psychiatrist is part of any treatment for gender dysphoria. "Talk" therapy is one way to address the mental health issues that this condition can cause.

Beyond talk therapy, many people choose to take at least some steps to bring their physical appearance in line with how they feel inside. They might change the way they dress or go by a different name. They may also take medicine or have surgery to change their appearance. Possible treatments include:

Puberty blockers -- A young person in early puberty with gender dysphoria might ask to be prescribed hormones (testosterone or estrogen) that would suppress physical changes. Before making that decision, the young person should talk with a pediatrician and sometimes a psychiatrist about the pros and cons of taking these hormones, especially at a young age.
Hormones – Teens or adults may take the hormones estrogen or testosterone to develop traits of the sex that they identify with.
Surgery – Some people choose to have complete sex-reassignment surgery. This used to be called a sex-change operation. But not everyone does. People may choose to have only some procedures done in order to bring their looks more in line with their feelings.

www.webmd.com...

This isn't just me saying this. This is the medical experts.

Hmmmmm.

/facepalm

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

originally posted by: Snarl
When Islam takes over and Sharia is the law of the land ... problem solved.

Poor person. Muslim and a trans. Can't be an easy life.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

xuenchen, I am stunned you even placed this as a post on ATS. You can only go so far without looking like an azzhole. It makes me sad, as well, that someone can be so thoughtless.
edit on 7-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

58 flags on ths * nonsense????

It only shows me we have 58 idiots here.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I think there is a lot of confusion on ATS about transgender issues. And you know what that's completely understandable, its a complex issue and even those going through it struggle to come to terms with what is right for them and their circumstances.

Foe me the root of the problem is a medical model which has for years clung to the the idea of a purely binary model for gender expression. In reality gender is a spectrum for most of us. Modern society has built laws and social constructs based on the assumption of a binary model of gender definition, so when an individual is conflicted about their own IDENTITY this can lead to a whole bunch of problem for them that may result in psychological problems.

No one kills themself because of their transgenderisim. People commit and attempt suicide, as a result of the isolation and stigma that society attaches to people who question the norm.

If you look at societies where transgender is supported as a legally valid gender identity you tend to see less people completing full transition in order to fit a binary model. (Argentina, Malta).

You can't define a persons gender identity purely on the basis of their genital status. There are many cases on intersex people who simply wont fit that definition. Or sterile women and men who biologically are unable to reproduce, does that make them any less of a man or woman?

I'll agree with you on the idea that its the confusion that is real threat. So how about we try and address that confusion through education instead of knee jerk opinions with nothing to support them?

As has been previously posted, Mc Hugh has been debunked by the majority of his scientific peers. That's how science works. You pose a theroy, conduct research to try and establish a basis for your theory being correct and then you submit your research for review by your peers.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
a reply to: GetHyped

Speaking the truth does not make one a bigot.

You seem to confuse your personal opinions with "truth".

A very conceited world view, some might say. It takes a certain arrogance and lack of self-awareness to wrap your prejudice up as "fact".

The DSM literally contradicts you:

It is important to note that gender nonconformity is not in itself a mental disorder.

edit on 7-6-2016 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join