It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Johns Hopkins Chief of Psychiatry Says Trans Movement is “Collaborating with Madness”

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack
a reply to: onequestion

It's more specific than that, you could you know, use Wikipedia and learn things.

en.wikipedia.org...

from your own source

is a profound state of unease or dissatisfaction. In a psychiatric context, dysphoria may accompany depression, anxiety, or agitation. It can also refer to a state of not being comfortable in one's current body, particularly in cases of gender dysphoria. Common reactions to dysphoria include emotional distress or indifference.

DSM 5 from my post above that you probably didn't read but reacted too...

A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning. Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities. An expectable or culturally approved response to a common stressor or loss, such as the death of a loved one, is not a mental disorder. Socially deviant behavior (e.g., political, religious, or sexual) and conflicts that are primarily between the individual and society are not mental disorders unless the deviance or conflict results from a dysfunction in the individual, as described above.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

It's more specific than that, you could you know, use Wikipedia and learn things.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd rather not use wikipedia to learn things.

Okay, good luck learning what words mean with the skip the reading strategy.

I thought u were fawking looking for info 2 sav ur kids m8/.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

I'm reading clinical definition from verified sources and linking them here for everyone to read and your ignoring them.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

You are not missing anything. You are completely correct.

It is a mental disorder, and always has been, which is why it is listed in the The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) to begin with.

Transgenders and their supporters lobbied to have the name changed from "gender identity disorder" to "gender dysphoria" simply because they didn't like how it made them feel. This change is causing dysphoria for everyone that discusses this topic.

They didn't get it removed from the manual of mental disorders (DSM) because keeping it in was the only way they could get treatment. If it was so natural and normal, they shouldn't need "treatment".

This whole thing is a mess, and very smart people are getting dragged under the bus and behind the bandwagon because you get called a BIGOT every time you suggest its a mental disorder.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: imjack

I'm reading clinical definition from verified sources and linking them here for everyone to read and your ignoring them.

Uh no, you're literally stating you won't read certain material and I mock your ignorance?

Dysphoria is not a phase. You owe me a beer.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

Trust I get it.. I'm type 1 bi polar and I have to take mood stabilizers or I get real angry and fly off the handle.

If anyone at works finds out it will effect my career. I can't get treatment a lot because the hours that doctors work interfere with my work schedule and I cant take that many days off that month.

It's crazy do I just practice meditation and do what I can and work out really hard and that usually helps.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Dysphoria is not a phase. You owe me a beer.

Dysphoria can be a phase, and it can also be permanent.

Do you guys not understand how the brain works?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

It's squares and rectangles.

Phases are intended to be completed. Phase 1, Phase 2.

Dysphoria is no more a phase than depression, it is constant until treated.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Medical doctors disagree with you both and those psychologists.

www.thecrimson.com...

The labeling of transgenderism as a psychiatric condition has the ironic effect of inducing psychological problems in transgendered individuals. This fuels the notion that a psychiatric disorder is at the heart of the condition, which influences the diagnostic coding and billing structure. Under the DSM-IV code, few health insurers in the United States cover the cost of hormonal replacement therapy. Mastectomies in FTMs, which cost $6,000 to $10,000, and genitoplasties (sex reconstructive surgery) in MTFs, which cost $15,000 to $25,000, are considered by almost all health insurers to be cosmetic surgeries on patients with a mental illness.

www.imatyfa.org...
edit on 7-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Okay - let's say you are on top of a really tall building working construction, and a huge gust of wind comes along and you lose your balance and start to fall off the building. Are you not going to be in significant distress at that moment? Are you mentally ill because you are in significant distress? Is you falling off the building considered a mental illness?

But at the same time, you could have a genuine mental disorder like schizophrenia and have significant distress associated with that too.

The two situations are mutually exclusive. Two different situations with the same result - Significant distress.

Gender dysphoria itself is not considered a mental illness any more than falling off a really tall building is a mental illness. It's more of a body illness. But it can cause significant distress, just like falling off a building can cause significant distress. When someone pulls you back from falling off the building, this will cure the significant distress. When someone with gender dysphoria gets to live as the gender they identify with, this will cure the significant distress. Unfortunately, nothing cures the significant distress of schizophrenia - you need meds constantly to function.

Can you see the difference?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

From you're source...

Spack said that stalling the start of puberty delays the development of physical characteristics that do not correspond to a person’s psychological self-perception.

What does he mean self perception?

Also he's talking about successful treatment I don't see a problem with his perspective that the treatment is successful he's probably right but the community of psychologist defining mental disorders disagree with his perspective.

Who knows more about psychology a community of psychologist or a medical doctor?

“Post-medication, the patients give testimonies of better interactions in school, a better environment at home, and functioning a whole lot better,”

Great that's awesome. So after they treat the non existent mental condition they feel better.

These people aren’t crazy,” Spack said. “It’s a medical condition.”

Oh so everyone with a mental condition is crazy.

So far what I just read was an opinion piece. What I read in the DSM is a consensus from an entire community I'll still take their word for it.

Also, he's basing all of his perspective on how they feel, which is in the mind.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

No medical doctors do not disagree. That is why it is in the The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

edit on 7-6-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Gender dysphoria itself is not considered a mental illness any more than falling off a really tall building is a mental illness. It's more of a body illness. But it can cause significant distress, just like falling off a building can cause significant distress. When someone pulls you back from falling off the building, this will cure the significant distress. When someone with gender dysphoria gets to live as the gender they identify with, this will cure the significant distress. Unfortunately, nothing cures the significant distress of schizophrenia - you need meds constantly to function.

Apparently the entire psychological community disagrees with you. I personally have no idea but I'm going with the psychologist.

Also your example is completely ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

He also says leave the diagnosis and treatment to the medical professionals that know the most about this, and it is not the run of the mill (textbook only) psychiatrists.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Know the most about what? How the body works?

Totally agree.

Know the most about whats going on in the mind?

Totally disagree.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne

No medical doctors do not disagree. That is why it is in the The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

It is also in the “Standards of care” which has been created by the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association, a professional society that includes mental health professionals, endocrinologists, internists and surgeons (www.hbigda.org). The standards define stages of treatment, beginning with “extensive exploration of psychological, family and social issues” by a mental health professional who has abundant experience working with this population, and only then moving to physical intervention, which should take place in stages, from reversible to irreversible interventions.

"Abundant experience" is the catch phrase here (usually obtained by multidisciplinary medicine).

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv Did you just compare an involuntary worksite injury/death to tucking your pecker between your legs and prancing around like a chick? Wow...just...wow.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

World Professional Association for Transgender Health

WPATH has established internationally accepted Standards of Care (SOC) for the treatment of gender identity disorders.

I googled your association and found this.

Please provide your own sources.

Mission Statement

Mission to promote evidence based care, education, research, advocacy, public policy, and respect in transgender health. Vision to bring together diverse professionals dedicated to developing best practices and supportive policies worldwide that promote health, research, education, respect, dignity, and equality for transgender, transsexual, and gender-variant people in all cultural settings.

edit on 6/7/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Understand this... everything comes down to chemical reactions. Your body and mind are the result of many chemical reactions. When you love, hate, become happy, or sad, all of it was the result of chemical reactions.

There are drugs, and even physical things, that can cause your body and brain to change the quantity and quality of these chemical reactions. Changing these chemical reactions can do a untold amount of changes to your state of mind, and body, and even change the way you think, and your likes and dislikes.

A drug can make you happy, it can make you sad, it can make you hate, and make you love, and making you feel things you've never felt. It can make you like something suddenly, or hate something suddenly. So can oxygen deprivation, and blunt head trauma, CTEs, and brain surgery gone wrong. They can scar your brain, and change the way the chemical reactions take place in your mind, and or not take place in some areas at all.

Some people can actually be born in certain states that cause these unique chemical reactions from birth. Some can develop it later in life after significant body and brain changes take place after drugs or trauma.

Sometimes it is temporary. Some people have had significant temporary depression because they were eating an unhealthy diet, and didn't realize it until almost taking their own life. Changing their diet would then treat the problem.

Some were subject to mental abuse, and constant fear and worry (PTSD for example), and it changed their brain chemistry temporarily, or sometimes permanently.

Some were the result of repeated head trauma (CTE for example) and it caused them to permanently have a change in chemical reactions, that result in a range of things like depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc..

Gender dysphoria can be the result of a birth defect, it can be the result of drugs, it can be the result of a bad diet, it can be the result of head trauma, it can be the result of anything that changed the chemical reactions in the body and mind.

So it can be temporary, and or it can be permanent. One thing is certain, it is a mental disorder.

edit on 7-6-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

No, she basically nailed it.

If I pointed a gun at you, or clench a fist, you're going to be uncomfortable with merely my body language alone, and place yourself in a less comfortable position because of it. Dysphoria is constant placement of a less comfortable position.
edit on 7-6-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join