It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Johns Hopkins Chief of Psychiatry Says Trans Movement is “Collaborating with Madness”

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

Of course its a disorder. Being born biologically as a woman but thinking your a man.

No add is a disorder but thats not.

lets get real people.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Who said there was nothing wrong? Of course there is something wrong - the body doesn't match the brain. That does not mean it's a mental illness. Gender dysphoria can cause feelings of despair(depression) and anxiety - those are mental health conditions and can be treated with medication. But taking those medications doesn't get rid of the dysphoria - it only helps with depression and anxiety.

Diagnose just means to identify. The term diagnose doesn't mean "mental illness". A doctor could diagnose the flu. The flu isn't a mental illness.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
"The body doesn't match the brain"

But it has nothing to do with the brain or a disorder...remember?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Definition of diagnosis...

"the identification of the nature of an illness or other problem by examination of the symptoms."

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Never should have left square one to be debated in the first place.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Who said it didn't have anything to do with the brain?

My goodness, you are living up to your user name today.

Here's the way mental health professionals are looking at this: the brain is right, the body is wrong. Nothing wrong with the brain - something wrong with the body. The treatment: fix the body to match the brain - NOT fix the brain to match the body. The disorder is with the body - not the brain.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad
Definition of diagnosis...

"the identification of the nature of an illness or other problem by examination of the symptoms."

or other problem

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Just pointing out obvious flaws in your "reasoning".

It's not a disorder but all the symptoms are disorders but nothing is wrong with them but they need medication to fix the non existent problem.

Delusion is also a mental disorder.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Of course it's a disorder doesn't make them bad people or give us reason to discriminate they just need treatment ie reassignment surgery and hormone treatment if that's what they want

People in America need to wake up to reality before it's too late

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

The dysphoria (the gender identity in the brain not matching the physical traits) itself is not considered a mental illness. Having this condition can cause people to get upset (understandably). When they get upset, they could fall into a depression or get anxiety.

Let's say a person loses a loved one to death. That person might get depressed or anxious. They're not mentally ill, they are just struggling with grief. Meds can treat the depression symptoms or anxiety symptoms, but there is no mental illness to cure. Once they get over the grief, they don't need the meds anymore.

Same with gender dysphoria. If the body is sufficiently changed to match the brain, the symptoms related to the depression and anxiety can go away. The exception of course, is if the trans person is having to continue to deal with not being accepted in society, shunned by friends and family, etc. This can cause the depression and anxiety to continue. If the trans person is NOT having those types of problems, the depression and anxiety tends to go away, when they are able to live completely as the gender they identify with and they aren't marginalized in society.

I know you're smart enough to understand these concepts. You have the typical conservative prejudice for something you find "icky".

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
How did I know this post would send the typical SJWs into a frenzy. Same idiotic posters every time.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
The dysphoria (the gender identity in the brain not matching the physical traits) itself is not considered a mental illness. Having this condition can cause people to get upset (understandably). When they get upset, they could fall into a depression or get anxiety.

So its the "condition" of being "upset" causing mental illness, not the dysphoria?

'Hey doctor, my child suffers from the Upset disease. I read its a hormonal imbalance. Will you please prescribe heshe the proper medication for the Upset?'
edit on 7-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: imjack

I can tell the difference easily, you're seeking attention, because I've again explained to your my perspective is puberty (9-14), and you continue to make your case that raising a child to 9 years old and asking it a question is impossible.

You see how the progressive left automatically resorts to name calling and personal attacks when they are disagreed with?

Ok, let's make the conversation about a 9 year old.

You think a 9 year old truly knows their sexual identity?

It may be easy for you to understand yourself as an individual experiencing, but as someone who hasn't experienced its not so easy to understand especially coming from a 9 year old.

Again, you think I should make the choice to severely impact my childs life based on a desire they have at 9 and not waiting until their older to make that choice for themselves?

What if I'm (we're) wrong?

Unless you yourself are 9, your opinion holds little water. You clearly don't understand it's not about a specific date. 9 is the age your arrogance starts to cause permanent damage if there is signs. Your child will start to create their own hormones, something they will never have been exposed to. If from 6 years old your child started wearing opposite gender clothing and 'experimenting', keeping them the gender they were born with at 9 might be stupid. I know you're basing these 'opinions' of yours with 'no evidence' of your kids being transgender, but that's not the point, and it doesn't mean you are or are not a good parent. The point is if you recognize something odd before they're 9, and you just let them go through puberty, you're risking their ability to make relationships later.

edit on 7-6-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: imjack

If from 6 years old your child started wearing opposite gender clothing and 'experimenting',

Oh my kid is "experimenting" guess he needs a sex change

thats not a logical conclusion for any parent

your kids go through many phases before adulthood how do you know the difference between a phase and dysphoria at age 9?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Please quote me where I said anything about it being icky.

All I've been doing is pointing out definitions of what you are saying.

Go ahead... I'll wait.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

So its the "condition" of being "upset" causing mental illness, not the dysphoria?

Is a person who is so upset at losing a loved one that they are too sad to function for a while mentally ill? Is a person who has anxiety because they are having trouble finding a job in a troubled economy mentally ill?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You are more transparent than you think.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Is a person who is so upset at losing a loved one that they are too sad to function for a while mentally ill? Is a person who has anxiety because they are having trouble finding a job in a troubled economy mentally ill?

Yes... Its called depression. Even if it's brief.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Anyone can experience joy, remorse, anxiety, sadness, and "Upset".

These are natural human responses to situations / stimuli / etc.

It's people whom have chronic conditions of such states (or completely lack them), where the states more or less lock on with feedback loops, or similar, or other causes (like core underlying mental illnesses) that would be the parallel here.

Your explanations are absurd.
edit on 7-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

You can call me left, like I give 2 sh#ts about your politics. You can continue to misunderstand this has nothing to do with your opinion, it's something that effects real people. Unless your kids are transgender, you shouldn't really have an opinion anyway. Especially over things as specific and important as age, legally speaking. Just having kids doesn't make you part of this conversation. Earth has plenty of #y parents. That's not a credential.

AKA raise your own damn kids. You've missed the point every time through. You can be a big 'conservative' poop pile, but unless your kids are actually wearing opposite clothing, the age they are is not relevant.

The point is parents that ignore their kids WHEN THEY DO, for LITERALLY up to 10-15 years are scum.

The standard transition time is also 2 years trial for most people. Your '9 year old'' would be 11 by the time they decided in most cases, and you would have had time to reprepare. It's not like little johny is going to the ER himself, and going to surprise you at 9 with no warning of how to now raise a daughter. There are comprehensive programs. None of it is usually a hack job.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join