It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank of America clerk fired for rant saying black people 'should go back to Africa'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

A bank clerk was sacked for saying black people ‘should go back to Africa’ and making references to slavery during a rant. Christine Mcmullen Lindgren, 57, worked at an Atlanta branch of Bank of America before her apparent unprompted public outburst on social network on the evening of 2 June.

"F****** n***** go back to Africa. Get over your pity party. "Do something with your lives and your children's lives." It is unclear who specifically the tirade was aimed at, and shortly after the post was deleted, before Ms Lindgren's entire Facebook account went offline.
Wow, sure is a big rent in anyone's language. The woman had a "brain outage" of some sort to make her snap in that way.Deep down she obviously has personal problems that triggered her outburst.www.independent.co.uk... to-africa-a7064336.html

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39
"Do something with your lives and your children's lives."

Can't argue with that.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: mojoharry
"F****** n***** Do something with your lives and your children's lives."

I think she meant!
edit on 5-6-2016 by mojoharry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mojoharry

Always good to side with the ranting person throwing out the slurs.

Lazy people come in all ethnicities.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: mojoharry

Always good to side with the ranting person throwing out the slurs.

Lazy people come in all ethnicities.

I will always side with free speech even if I don't like what is being said.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Did the woman say something stupid, Oh hell yes. Did she deserve to lose her job, No.
What you say and what you do, outside of work, is absolutely none of your employers business. As long as you do your job and do it right, it doesn't matter if you're a hooker or a volunteer for the homeless in your time off. Because of social media, companies have taken to thinking that every aspect of your life is their's for the taking.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Her employer had every right to fire her. Because of her association with them, it makes them look like they might agree with her. There might even be some angry black people showing up where she works to cause big headaches for the bank. If she said it privately in her home, that would be one thing, but putting out for public consumption is a whole other issue.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
What you say and what you do, outside of work, is absolutely none of your employers business.

I've always found it funny that the US is made out to be like the pinnacle of freedom, and yet people can be fired because of what they believe or say in their personal lives. That's not freedom. We aren't free.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

What you say and what you do, outside of work, is absolutely none of your employers business.

I've always found it funny that the US is made out to be like the pinnacle of freedom, and yet people can be fired because of what they believe or say in their personal lives. That's not freedom. We aren't free.

Freedom for your employer to think your an (insert t&c violation here) and not want to employ you.

Being a racist is rightly not protected under employment law.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

What about Polynesians and Australian Aborigines?

Is that person an idiot?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Freedom for your employer to think your an (insert t&c violation here) and not want to employ you.

She has every right to have racist beliefs. It's no different than believing everyone else is an evil sinner who is going to hell because they don't worship your particular god - which IS protected by employment law.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

She has every right to have racist beliefs. It's no different than believing everyone else is an evil sinner who is going to hell because they don't worship your particular god - which IS protected by employment law.

She has every right to what ever beliefs she wants but her employer still has every right to fire her.

Even religious protections aren't absolute and if your religious beliefs interfered with your job (say calling customers sinners) then they have every right to fire you for that.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Its always the same rethoric, its freedom of speech... its beliefs.. until those beliefs become actions. Then its a tragedy... theres beliefs,and hate camouflage as beliefs. God knows how long shes been thinking this, what if she was a nurse at childrens hospital and not a bank...imagine what those 'just beliefs could have manifested into...

People hate blacks for being black ,and hate them for being hated. What a way to live life... imagine a black parent explaining what a post like that means.
edit on 5-6-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

She has every right to what ever beliefs she wants but her employer still has every right to fire her.

Even religious protections aren't absolute and if your religious beliefs interfered with your job (say calling customers sinners) then they have every right to fire you for that.

I understand what you're saying, but DID her beliefs interfere with her job? Did bank customers see her rant? Just because she felt the way she did, didn't mean she was going to work and being an ***hole to black customers. As long a she was doing her job in a professional manner and keeping her beliefs at home, I don't see a problem.
Everyone should have the freedom to express their honest thoughts. Nobody should have to fear being honest with their friends and family on Facebook or whatever social network they use.
edit on 6/5/2016 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: DAVID64

Her employer had every right to fire her. Because of her association with them, it makes them look like they might agree with her. There might even be some angry black people showing up where she works to cause big headaches for the bank. If she said it privately in her home, that would be one thing, but putting out for public consumption is a whole other issue.

Or more likely, African American clients can pull their money out of the bank. Sometimes I think people forget that most of us don't go to protest movements and rallies. Not to mention this happened in Atlanta, which has roughly a 50% African American population (within the city limits, not sure about the greater metropolis area). And there are plenty of wealthy and middle class African Americans in the Atlanta area, which would make the bank's association with racism even more costly.
edit on 5-6-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

The first amendment only protects us from the government.

The employer should also be free to respond in a way that protects their interest.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I understand what you're saying, but DID her beliefs interfere with her job? Did bank customers see her rant? Just because she felt the way she did, didn't mean she was going to work and being an ***hole to black customers. As long a she was doing her job in a professional manner and keeping her beliefs at home, I don't see a problem.
Everyone should have the freedom to express their honest thoughts. Nobody should have to fear being honest with their friends and family on Facebook or whatever social network they use.

It wasn't a message to family or friends or it wouldn't be an issue. It is the equivalent of handing out racist pamphlets..

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

That is a very good point, and I think you are correct. The bank has a right to look out for its own interest.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

It wasn't a message to family or friends or it wouldn't be an issue. It is the equivalent of handing out racist pamphlets..

So if she was handing out pamphlets telling people to give to the poor, would you still say the bank should be allowed to fire her for it?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

So if she was handing out pamphlets telling people to give to the poor, would you still say the bank should be allowed to fire her for it?

What a silly argument. Advocating giving to the poor wouldn't hurt the bank, so why would they want to fire her for that? What if she handed out pamphlets telling people that the bank she worked for was crap and people should take their money out and put it in another bank - do you think the bank should be allowed to fire her then? After all, it's just her personal belief. If you were in charge, would you fire her for handing out pamphlets like that about your bank?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join