It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conventional Shampoos Cause Nerve Damage, Memory Loss, and Cancer. Use ...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
FULL TITLE:
Conventional Shampoos Cause Nerve Damage, Memory Loss, and Cancer. Use this [homemade] instead

From: living traditionially: traditional living in modern society
[WARNING: there's a raft of ads on the page and a very short article. At one point, I had to go back a page to get the whole article to show again.]
livingtraditionally.com...

University of North Carolina researchers found that when Diethanolamine (DEA), a chemical used as a thickening agent in most shampoos, is applied to the skin of pregnant mice, it interferes with their offspring’s normal brain development. DEA blocks absorption of the nutrient choline, which is essential to brain development.
Additionally, the most common chemical compounds in shampoos are straight-chain alkyl benzene sulfonates. Benzene is a chemical that is responsible for Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS), oftentimes the precursors to leukemia and many types of cancers.
. . .
Most conventional shampoos contain 1,4-dioxane, a highly toxic carcinogen. According to the California Environmental Protection Agency, 1,4-dioxane is known to cause cancer and may cause kidney, respiratory, and neurological toxicity. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has also stated that 1,4-dioxane is a groundwater contaminant.
. . .

I think it's a pretty straightforward article with a decent recipe for a homemade shampoo.

I haven't used conventional shampoos for years.
It often seems like if it's used in the bathroom, it's likely seriously awful stuff from conventional products. Toothpaste is awful. Soaps are often awful. Etc.
At least this recipe is an easily doable alternative. I think it's worth considering.
If any of you have a better recipe, please share it.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Thank you for the link, I just bookmarked it. This week I will make the homemade shampoo. Thank you!

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Warning. I get that people don't like chemicals in their care products, but...don't expect these homemade recipes to work anything like conventional cleansers.

Here is the recipe on this website:

Ingredients:
6 oz Aloe Vera Gel
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
10 Tbsp Baking Soda
15 drops Rosemary Oil
10 drops Geranium Oil
BPA free plastic dispenser bottles

This amount of oil could wreak havoc on many hair types. Most advocTes of the "no poo" method go with simple washes, like clay, baking soda, eggs, etc. followed by a vinegar rinse to restore the hairs PH balance.

These methods don't work for everyone, and there can be a sometimes lengthy transition time, where your scalp adjusts to a new level of oil production. This means your hair could look alternately: greasy (too much oil production); dry (too much baking soda or cleanser, no vinegar rinse, scalp not producing oil, too much oil used on hair; brittle (common with porous hair + egg wash, it's the protein); limp; etc, etc, etc.

If you're going with the no poo method to get away from chemicals, know what hair type you have and do your research to find the best cleansing methods. And remember that most people take anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 months for their scalp to transition and remember what it's supposed to do in the first place.

Oh, and if you have more than mild dandruff....buy a hat. The no poo method seems to either cure it entirely or make it 100 times worse.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Pine tar soap is the only personal hygiene product anyone should ever need. Wash your whole body and hair with it. i can't rate it highly enough. My skin has never been better since using it.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I've been using sulfate-free shampoos for various reasons. With that have also found that some of the commercial store brand sulfate-free products contain other worry some additives. Have to look more into these to make sure one concern isn't replaced with another one.

a reply to: Atsbhct
Thanks for the info.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

It's actually not straight forward. It's complete crap.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Titles like this where you make a bold statement then offer a solution with a couple of periods are....

number 17 will shock you
edit on 06Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:31:00 -0500920166America/Chicago by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I can verify the science behind this article, however the amounts of these chemicals when used in shampoos are far below the exposure levels in the experiments.

It is prudent to reduce known environmental toxins but just because something (the alternate recipe) contains naturally sourced ingredients, does not automatically mean it is less toxic.

For instance the Rosemary oil (used in the 'natural' recipe) can be toxic if ingested, and should never be used by people with high blood pressure, ulcers, Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. The University of Maryland Medical Center advises that rosemary can have interactions with antiplatelet and anticoagulant drugs, ACE inhibitors, diuretics and lithium, and can interfere with certain diabetes medications as well.

Similarly, geranium oil contains terpines and is a diuretic, it has also been reported to be a skin irritant in rare cases. The purported antispasmodic nature of geranium oil would suggest that it should be avoided during pregnancy.

So, it would be wise to use the most minimal amounts of surfactants when washing, just enough to 'do the job' with minimum exposure. I, personally prefer unscented glycerine soap, even for hair, and rinsing well.

Additionally, stripping off the natural oils of the skin too thoroughly may actually promote dermatitis.

edit on 4/6/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I get that people don't like chemicals in their care products, but...don't expect these homemade recipes to work anything like conventional cleansers.

(Hi there, I hope your pregnancy is going okay. I've been wondering and now glad to finally come across your Avatar)

I agree that these things don't work as well. I think the important part is that these homemade recipes will (hopefully) not do as much harm as conventional cleaners.

As someone who once had horrific chemical sensitivities, it is a blessing to have a few more choices.

Unless you've been there, it is impossible to understand or appreciate what these people go through. Benzene is one of the products that I need to avoid and it is next to impossible to do.

I truly am happy for the other folk here who are of the opinion that these subjects are "crap" as that would suggest that they still have their health. For what it's worth, I used to think the same thing. I would give anything to be able to wear nail polish again, or spray for bugs, or buy clothes that can be dry cleaned, or even get a cheap plastic shower curtain.

So, OP, thanks for the head's up. And Q, let me know how it worked out!

CF

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

You are exceedingly welcome. I just want folks to be healthy and avoid as many of the destructive stuff that floods our lives in our era as possible.

Thanks for your kind words.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
mystifying double post
edit on 4/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

THANKS for your fine insights.

I keep my hair in a buzz cut that I do myself with the trimmers. I just wash my hair, face and beard with shampoo. Thankfully, it's a mild healthy green tea variety.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MrFuzzy

Thanks. Have been looking around for a hand/body soap for the shower. So many are so costly etc. etc. Do you order it online or where?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Do you have any specifics to watch out for with the supposedly ugly-stuff-free store shampoos?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

What an informative edifying commentary!

/sarc

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Mrgone

Perhaps instead of your mother teaching you to keep silent if you couldn't say anything nice, she taught you to go out of your way to say nasty, prickly, gritchy, contrarian things?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Sounds like your information needs reposted with emphasis:

originally posted by: chr0naut

I can verify the science behind this article, however the amounts of these chemicals when used in shampoos are far below the exposure levels in the experiments.

It is prudent to reduce known environmental toxins but just because something (the alternate recipe) contains naturally sourced ingredients, does not automatically mean it is less toxic.

For instance the Rosemary oil (used in the 'natural' recipe) can be toxic if ingested, and should never be used by people with high blood pressure, ulcers, Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. The University of Maryland Medical Center advises that rosemary can have interactions with antiplatelet and anticoagulant drugs, ACE inhibitors, diuretics and lithium, and can interfere with certain diabetes medications as well.

Similarly, geranium oil contains terpines and is a diuretic, it has also been reported to be a skin irritant in rare cases. The purported antispasmodic nature of geranium oil would suggest that it should be avoided during pregnancy.

So, it would be wise to use the most minimal amounts of surfactants when washing, just enough to 'do the job' with minimum exposure. I, personally prefer unscented glycerine soap, even for hair, and rinsing well.

Additionally, stripping off the natural oils of the skin too thoroughly may actually promote dermatitis.

Thanks much. Your cautions sound very important to be aware of in each of those cases.

Much appreciated.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

Thanks for your kind words.

Sensitivities to chemicals can be a huge drag on life and even deadly with far too many people, imho.

One of my weird things is that all Tofu tastes like gasoline, to me. Evidently there's a chemical in processing that's close to such a thing--according to my Masters in Food Science and Nutrition friend.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrFuzzy
Pine tar soap is the only personal hygiene product anyone should ever need. Wash your whole body and hair with it. i can't rate it highly enough. My skin has never been better since using it.

I keep reading this hearing Ron Swanson's voice.

Anyway, I wonder how pine tar soap is on very sensitive skin. What do you mean your skin is better since using it?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I can only use a few brands of shampoo. I have problem with the lanoic acid or lanolin in them, the propylene glycol, and another chemical. Who would think they put wool oil in shampoo, eliminating that took care of my itchy head, evidently it is not just wool that makes me itchy.

Strangely, the couple of different kinds I can use are close to the cheapest on the market.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join