It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WA Schools to Teach Gender Identity Curriculum to Kindergarteners

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: xuenchen

I guess teaching math and English and science and history wasn't enough because the US ranks almost 50th in education.

:/

The educational system has to take over the role of parent now.

That would cast the U.S. government in the role of 'Grandparent'.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
If our school systems suck at teaching math and English, what in the hell makes any of you think that it'll do a good job of teaching gender identities?

This would be funny if it wasn't so damned pathetic.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: Sargeras

Next they will be telling us that guy on the corner with the " I'm Jesus " sign needs to be addressed as Jesus because his crazy ass thinks he is.

No, they'll probably call the Muslims to stone the guy to death in the street.

Perfectly reasonable response, and unfortunately, probably 100% accurate.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

How about if a kid can't do basic arithmetic by the time they are 10, they need to be in remedial classes.

I could hardly believe it when I was working in the alternative school (urban core Special Ed, back in the 90s) and the kids (middle-school aged) were allowed to use a frucking calculator instead of learning long-hand mathematics.

It does seem to depend on the school - - AND the parent.

My kids only in first grade and I'm having trouble doing his math homework.

They are very diligent in this school monitoring each child.

He repeated Kindergarten because of High Functioning Autism, to give him more maturity to focus. Academically, he's above grade level.

I took the advice of the teachers/psychologist, who were right. But, they can not force a child to stay behind. We had to sign for him to repeat. There are parents who refuse to follow the recommendations. There's a kid in his class that barely knows his alphabet, but his mom said he was too intelligent to be held back.

Parents are the key.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

How about if a kid can't do basic arithmetic by the time they are 10, they need to be in remedial classes.

I could hardly believe it when I was working in the alternative school (urban core Special Ed, back in the 90s) and the kids (middle-school aged) were allowed to use a frucking calculator instead of learning long-hand mathematics.

It does seem to depend on the school - - AND the parent.

My kids only in first grade and I'm having trouble doing his math homework.

They are very diligent in this school monitoring each child.

He repeated Kindergarten because of High Functioning Autism, to give him more maturity to focus. Academically, he's above grade level.

I took the advice of the teachers/psychologist, who were right. But, they can not force a child to stay behind. We had to sign for him to repeat. There are parents who refuse to follow the recommendations. There's a kid in his class that barely knows his alphabet, but his mom said he was too intelligent to be held back.

Parents are the key.

Common core

That is why you are having a hard time with his math.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

Exactly. Dysphoria as my psychology major friend terms is when someone disagrees that they are the gender they are born with. Perfectly acceptable to learn about at a later age when they have the basic principles down.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Parents are absolutely critical. I'd be willing to bet you that in the countries with the highest academic achievement, you will find parents that are highly involved.

After homeschooling my daughter for two years now, I can see that it isn't hard to get the basics across. What's hard is the follow-up - making sure the student understands, and working with them when they are having trouble, until you're sure they get it. Parents can really help out with the follow-up. Those that don't will end up with a kid that's getting further and further behind.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I want my kids as confused and passionless as possible when they hit the real world, and unable to compete with their foreign counterparts who are actually getting decent educations at half the cost.

Interestingly enough, most 1st world 'foreign' countries have been teaching all forms of tolerance and basic human compassion as a standard part of the K-12 curriculum for the past couple of decades now.

So to all the schools in the US, I say this:

"Welcome to the 21st century"

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
If you were the parents of one of these transgender kids, wouldn't like their classmates to have some understanding of what they're going through so they have the chance to be accepted and treated like any other kid?

Understanding gender as a spectrum rather than a binary reflects the true diversity of the human experience. Our society's limited understanding and appreciation for gender diversity has an impact on all children and youth.

Kids need to know and understand these things. Learning about transgender and gender non-conforming issues is not going to make a kid trans any more than understanding that there are gay people in the world is somehow going to make some one gay. It ain't contagious.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

As a homeschooler, how would you as a parent approach the WA state program?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Interestingly enough, most 1st world 'foreign' countries have been teaching all forms of tolerance and basic human compassion as a standard part of the K-12 curriculum for the past couple of decades now.

So to all the schools in the US, I say this:

"Welcome to the 21st century"

You can show us some examples I hope.

Perhaps the WA State program is taken from other countries?

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

Ahhhh f it, let them get sex changes at 5 but don't let them drink until their 21, or smoke until their 18, or vote until their 18!

This never ending idiocy needs to stop. I understand teaching kids tolerance, teach a tolerance class thats fine but teaching a gender class is unacceptable.

They need to stay focused on teaching technology, industrial arts, robotics, programming, skilled trades and things like that in school and leave the rest to the parents.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Or like in many Asian families, rigid in their approach and highly disciplined, there's no room for this type of thought until they perform to a highly maintained standard.

Conform or else.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Parents are absolutely critical. I'd be willing to bet you that in the countries with the highest academic achievement, you will find parents that are highly involved.

After homeschooling my daughter for two years now, I can see that it isn't hard to get the basics across. What's hard is the follow-up - making sure the student understands, and working with them when they are having trouble, until you're sure they get it. Parents can really help out with the follow-up. Those that don't will end up with a kid that's getting further and further behind.

We make the kids sit down and tell us about their day - - every day. We started this with his sister when she began kindergarten. She is now 16. A few times we had to stick her on a stool until she talked, we were not going to let her internalize all the drama girls (mostly) seem to go through.

You have to make kids feel comfortable in opening up and talking about their life. And you have to shut up and let them talk. (that's the hard part). You have to be aware it is THEIR world, not yours.

I have both spelling and math flash cards for the summer (they travel
). We try to do a lot of outdoor activities, camping, beach, and museums in the summer. (And the internet is just a trove of valuable programs.)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Fantastic !!

How does all that tie in to the WA State program(s) ?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

As a homeschooler, how would you as a parent approach the WA state program?

My daughter learned about homosexuality (in vague terms, not the details of sex) and transgender people pretty early on (when she was still in public elementary school). She's going into her second year of high school learning next year (she'll be 15 in September), and she already has a thorough understanding of gender identity, gender expression, gender dysphoria, etc.

And no, it didn't make her gay or turn her into a trans teen. What it did do for her was to help her understand the world around her, so that she didn't freak out when she crossed paths with a transgender female in the public restroom. No trauma, no hyperbole, no big deal.

Oh and in case you're wondering, she successfully completed Algebra II this school year, and will start taking college level courses next year at the community college as part of their dual credit program, so I have been teaching her a few other things as well. She is quite capable of multi-tasking.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

Understanding gender as a spectrum rather than a binary reflects the true diversity of the human experience. Our society's limited understanding and appreciation for gender diversity has an impact on all children and youth.

Kids need to know and understand these things. Learning about transgender and gender non-conforming issues is not going to make a kid trans any more than understanding that there are gay people in the world is somehow going to make some one gay. It ain't contagious.

And kids seem to do this effortlessly - - - if their parents leave it alone.

Parents do damage to kids when they can't move beyond ignorance of what they refuse to understand.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Fantastic !!

How does all that tie in to the WA State program(s) ?

And you have to shut up and let them talk. (that's the hard part).

You have to be aware it is THEIR world, not yours.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Another blank response.

I see you are just as confused about this issue as anybody else.

Did you read through the actual WA State document?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join