It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We're in Asia for decades, US tells China

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
www.news.com.au...

U S Defense Secretary Ash Carter has urged China to join a "principled security network" for Asia, saying that the United States would remain the world's most powerful military and the main guarantor of regional security for decades to come. In an attempt to counter concerns in Asia about US staying power, Carter told a regional security forum in Singapore the US approach to the Asia-Pacific remained "one of commitment, strength and inclusion". However, he said, any action by China to reclaim land in the Scarborough Shoal, an outcrop in the disputed South China Sea, would have consequences. "I hope that this development doesn't occur, because it will result in actions being taken by both the United States and ... by others in the region which would have the effect of not only increasing tensions but isolating China."
I wonder what Donald or Hilary would have to say about this commitment by Carter.

Carter said tensions in the South China Sea, where China has been backing its vast territorial claims by building artificial islands, North Korea's nuclear program and violent extremism challenged regional peace and "forward-thinking statesmen and leaders must ... come together to ensure a positive principled future".
The South China Sea is a vital fishing ground for Taiwan,Vietnam,Philippines,Malaysia, Indonesia,Brunei and Japan for decades. It is also an international shipping route. For China to start annexing this area for their sole purpose of expansion and defense is not acceptable. China needs to be controlled with their actions against small nations, and big brother America is the one to keep them honest.
edit on 4-6-2016 by tommo39 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39
www.news.com.au...

U S Defense Secretary Ash Carter has urged China to join a "principled security network" for Asia, saying that the United States would remain the world's most powerful military and the main guarantor of regional security for decades to come. In an attempt to counter concerns in Asia about US staying power, Carter told a regional security forum in Singapore the US approach to the Asia-Pacific remained "one of commitment, strength and inclusion". However, he said, any action by China to reclaim land in the Scarborough Shoal, an outcrop in the disputed South China Sea, would have consequences. "I hope that this development doesn't occur, because it will result in actions being taken by both the United States and ... by others in the region which would have the effect of not only increasing tensions but isolating China."
I wonder what Donald or Hilary would have to say about this commitment by Carter.

Carter said tensions in the South China Sea, where China has been backing its vast territorial claims by building artificial islands, North Korea's nuclear program and violent extremism challenged regional peace and "forward-thinking statesmen and leaders must ... come together to ensure a positive principled future".
The South China Sea is a vital fishing ground for Taiwan,Vietnam,Philippines,Malaysia, Indonesia,Brunei and Japan for decades. It is also an international shipping route. For China to start annexing this area for their sole purpose of expansion and defense is not acceptable. China needs to be controlled with their actions against small nations, and big brother America is the one to keep them honest.

It's a bit sad to know that America dictates to the asian countries, you are with us or against us. Just so sad, but the truth lies in the history of the unknown aggression of an evil one with only destruction on its mind. And that is a fact.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

truth lies in the history of the unknown aggression of an evil one with only destruction on its mind

sad to know that America dictates to the asian countries
I do not agree with either of you theories on America.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

truth lies in the history of the unknown aggression of an evil one with only destruction on its mind

wow, you must be living in a dungeon

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

Hillary will just sleep through it..

We already know that,

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Trump would do the smart thing.

He would say "china has islands in the South China Sea, they should own the South China Sea. The United States now has to expand it's territorial waters out to Guam, so it now owns the Pacific Ocean."

China would abandon the South China Sea dream the next day.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Surely you are not unlearned enough to believe the US dictates to the Far East ? Better open a few history books there. And , while you are at it , watch a little news. Get caught back up so to speak.

Never has been the US. Maybe the British once upon a time. Perhaps you have the 2 nations confused with each other ?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Seems like it to me. The only parties that don't play ball with us are NK and China.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Because no one in the area has the capability to stand up to China alone. So their only option is allies. Since so many countries there have hated each other for so long alliances are difficult at best for some of them so they want a buffer nation. So they turn to the US. The US isn't dictating to them that they are going to be our allies or work with us.

As for China not playing ball, they have a robust military liason program with the US. They've even sent ships and troops to RIMPAC in Hawaii in recent years. We don't have an alliance with them but we do cooperate with each other in many areas.
edit on 6/4/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

wow, you must be living in a dungeon

America saved China from getting genocided by Japan. Instead of wiping out the Japanese like the Japanese thought we were going to do we built them up into our strongest ally and a free healthy just like Germany. US does many things wrong. But don't hate on us for the things we actually did right. Now America is torn between China and Japan both as the referee and in kind of a love triangle lol. It is awkward but I don't think that makes us evil.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Because no one in the area has the capability to stand up to China alone. So their only option is allies. Since so many countries there have hated each other for so long alliances are difficult at best for some of them so they want a buffer nation. So they turn to the US. The US isn't dictating to them that they are going to be our allies or work with us.

As for China not playing ball, they have a robust military liason program with the US. They've even sent ships and troops to RIMPAC in Hawaii in recent years. We don't have an alliance with them but we do cooperate with each other in many areas.

Was that the "exercise" where China and US joined forces to defeat an underwater alien menace? Right when Battleship and Pacific Rim came out? Sometimes I wonder if cheesy hollywood movies are partially to make us think things we might hear about are just cheesy scifi instead of a cover for something happening.
Back to the topic though: China as it gets stronger will feel its oats and see where they can grow like an amoeba. It's only natural. I think maybe that China should get to control some of the South you know... China... Sea. But I guess we can have it be the South Non-Chinese Sea.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LordDraconia

RIMPAC is a biannual exercise held in Hawaii. It involves multiple Pacific nations, ships, aircraft, and ground troops. They do everything from antipiracy exercises, to combat landings. At one point during the month they do a SINKEX where they pull several ships out of Pearl Harbor's reserve fleet and sink them.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I measure a state's submission to our empire in market control and access. We dominated our Asian allies markets for quite awhile post WW2. They are our vassals, make no mistake. In our absence, they would simply submit to China instead.

i am not saying this is a bad thing, we get a lot of scientific contributions out of it and benefit monetarily with their cooperation. We will always be the better choice because of our value on personal liberty.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

All of our allies anywhere are more than free to ask us to leave at any time. It's happened in the past and it will happen in the future. How does that make them "our vassals"?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Our allies citizens want us to leave in Italy and Japan and other from some bases. Their governments see differently. Could this be, because our interests are a priority over their citizens??

I think yes
yes our protection means submission to certain policies. You know this is true. I am not attacking the concept, it is necessary to maintain our status and our way of life. I just want to be honest about it is all.

In the old days the subjects from foreign lands knew they were under the rule of a more powerful force far away in other lands. Today we like to pretend we have somehow evolved past that? Technology and the study of human psyche has merely meant our leaders became better at convincing people otherwise.

Rome, the Ottomans, and Our America have all been virtually identical on how an empire rules. In fact their expansion into Eastern Europe very closely resembled how NATO functions. Under their rule, but with the liberty to self govern and respect to keeping their own cultural and traditional values.

I don't see why we have to pretend??? This is simply the basis of existence, and the sheer luck of where we are born. I don't feel it is something to be ashamed of either.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

The big sticking point in Japan has been the base on Okinawa which is being moved. The last numbers I saw, it's still a minority that wants the US out, but the Japanese government realizes that until they change their Constitution to allow a military buildup they aren't in a position to stand on their own. Our presence has allowed them to concentrate on keeping their economy going because they didn't have to spend billions on defense.

In Italy it's not a lot different. Most of the time they stay on base, but there are still incidents which is when the numbers go up for awhile.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

RIMPAC is a biannual exercise held in Hawaii. It involves multiple Pacific nations, ships, aircraft, and ground troops. They do everything from antipiracy exercises, to combat landings. At one point during the month they do a SINKEX where they pull several ships out of Pearl Harbor's reserve fleet and sink them.

Sounds pretty fun!

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

We used to like it. It was fun to work the ramp and see all the aircraft, then go sit at Pearl and watch the ships go in and out.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

Our allies citizens want us to leave in Italy and Japan and other from some bases. Their governments see differently. Could this be, because our interests are a priority over their citizens??

I think yes
yes our protection means submission to certain policies. You know this is true. I am not attacking the concept, it is necessary to maintain our status and our way of life. I just want to be honest about it is all.

In the old days the subjects from foreign lands knew they were under the rule of a more powerful force far away in other lands. Today we like to pretend we have somehow evolved past that? Technology and the study of human psyche has merely meant our leaders became better at convincing people otherwise.

Rome, the Ottomans, and Our America have all been virtually identical on how an empire rules. In fact their expansion into Eastern Europe very closely resembled how NATO functions. Under their rule, but with the liberty to self govern and respect to keeping their own cultural and traditional values.

I don't see why we have to pretend??? This is simply the basis of existence, and the sheer luck of where we are born. I don't feel it is something to be ashamed of either.

So you're accusing America of playing Realpolitik in a Machiavellian world? Well I would hope we would or we'd lose our hats in a second. That's the thing about allies though. Not only do they need us. We need them. It's more symbiotic then top down I think.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

well yes we do benefit because we get more resources for a better rate, and with little protest. Im all for it, as this benefits our citizens. The only other option is for the situation to be the other way around, and i would not like that, neither would the majority of our citizens or leaders.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join