It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion then and now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I wonder what people think of religion as its whole, they way it was preached during its childhood.
I mean most of the major religions are thousands of years old, and were written by men who lived thousands of years ago. The world was a totaly different and isolated. As we live now in the 21 first century, as a whole. What i mean by that is we are no longer isolated, we have the meand and will to talk freely to peoples from the ends of the earth. An privilge only a few might have had 2 thousand years ago.
Does mainstream religion really coincide with life in the 21st century?
Can we really follow the morals of life that were lived 2000 thousand years ago now?
Deep

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well the way we live is not so bad ( my thoughts ) because if you look at the roman empire... It was a bit worst than us.

The greek was able to tell what ever they wanted, I think but i'm not sure.

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Man what a sticky question.

To be honest religion is the same now as it was 2000 years ago.It is a social club.It is a group of people that have the same beliefs,and push down other peoples throats.Its not that I don't believe in a god or higher power,I just don't like the way it is preached in the Bible or Koran or anyother mass publication.
But the Bible is pretty irrevelant today.Most people that believe in the Bible on Sunday,will stab you in the back for a few bucks on Monday.
I figure in time another religion will come along and Christianity will become a pagen religion.

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I really dont have the answer myself..I was curious to what others though, everyone here comes from different religions and different cultures i was curious at how they all would respond.
I'll try to make it a bit more precise.
Its just that what wintergoth had said..i think thats his name...lol
in his post on how islamics were this and that.
In one of his qoutes, the prophet Mohomed thought it was alright to be with a child in a different manner. But that made me think, maybe during his time, his culture thought it was not a sin. Cultures during the days of Christ and Mohomed had different values and morals than we do now. We have science to answer our many pondering questions, they had to turn to GOD?
Deep

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well that is the problem.We have a lot of people that believe in differant things,but they all want us to believe they way they do.Islam is very outdated IMO. And so is Christianity.Although I think Chrstianity has been a bit more flexible over the years. Nobody thinks, talks or acts the way they did when these books were written.

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
True
I wonder if maybe NWO is all that bad now, i mean a united world, one goverment, one religion. But i dont know too much about thier real politics.
And im not to sure about the religion part either.
Thiers too much coruption in religion.
Deep

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I can't imagine the NWO being a good thing.I don't really believe in it,but I know I don't want to be like everybody else.
I had a strange thought a couple weeks ago.I had been reading the Egyptian Book of the Dead,and was thinking about religion.Thinking about how over the years a religion comes up everybody follows it for a time and then another one comes along,and so forth.
Anyways I got to thinking about the possiblities of an Islam/Christian/Jewish merge.Combine the major religions into one and hope everyone gets along.I doubt anything like that would happen in my lifetime,but religion needs to evolve or it will die out.Maybe that is what the NWO would like?Maybe that is why Bush is telling us to respect Muslims.Since he is a hardcore Christian,it sounds kinda funny coming from him.
Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands.

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
True
thats an interesting thoguh, my religion was based like that, all the religions molded into one, its Sikhism.
it was created 300 years ago.
but for something like that to happen now, would be close to impossible, well maybe it could but it would take hundreds of years for people to accept.
The world is run by major religious figures who wont let go the values of the old, and understand that we are living in the 21st century.
Deep

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Who said that Christianity is different today to what it was 2,000 years ago???

It still exists if one looks at history and the Apostles teachings!

The thing that has changed is that people today question the fact if God does really exist!
And want proof of the existence ,which only tells us that we in our hearts want to know God but somehow we do not allow Him to be there....

Yes, today things are different only because we allow to be influenced by the whole society of what it wants us to be and how to think!
We no longer have to think for ourselves, because it is given to us through the TV and we accept it as truth .....

Darwinism was taught at school as a fact........but it is only a theory.....it has not been proven as a fact....but do they tell us ???
No........
If we are evolved from Fish or whatever stupid reason that is given to us.......Why then do they keep searching for that one thing that seems to never prove the evolution fact?

Religion in many ways has become more modern to us because we wish to fit in with todays modern way of thinking.....
God has not changed.......and is still the same as He was.....People have re-written the Bible only because it suits them and for reasons that it may offend some people..
So has Christianity changed???
No it has not!

Peoples way of thinking and lifestyle has changed!
But the truth has not changed!

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 01:57 AM
link   
There were a lot of "then's", Deep-Z, and there are a lot of "now's".
Dig deeply enough and you will find modern day communities indistinguishable (technology more or less put aside, of course) from communities of the 2nd century AD.
On the other hand, you will find examples of liberalism and tolerance in the past that shame many of to-day's believers of whatever faith.
"Folks is folks" -or words to that effect.

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   
And, as simple examples: how "modern" are Waco and Jonesville: how "hopelessly outmoded" are The Sermon on the Mount or the Diamond Sutra?

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Hm.....i just figured that i should have said,
Is religion outdated?
I really gotta think before i post, whenever a thought comes to my head that i cannot figure out i just post it, please forgive,
, it helps to be clarified.
Deep

top topics

join