It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's So Easy To Say That You'll Forget Your Past

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Neat thread, thanks for writing.

I too have many regrets, mostly involving my conduct in relationships, and my use of time and energy. I try to maintain a positive stance by improving myself when I can, as to avoid making the same mistakes. It's through this view that I've come to appreciate the value of good habits.

What gets me is not the feeling of regret, but the thought, "It's too late (to change/improve)". That's the tenth tiger, when it seems all too often that I only have nine cages.

Cheers to you.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: _damon

Spoken like a true narcissist.

Empathy for others is what should give one pause to reflect how we treat them either in the past or from now on.

Narcissists don't understand empathy, though. To them its wasted energy or a guilt trip someone else is trying to lay on them.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

So, I have some regrets, but wouldnt change a thing. Life is for learning. Not good to dwell either on the past...The 'ole adage of "shoulda-coulda-woulda" shouldnt apply. We can't go back…

Can't change the past.

Its alright to say you're sorry though. Some would say lots of buried resentment in unresolved issues between people is what causes all the trouble in the future. If we make an effort (whenever possible) to make reparations or at least apologize for our part, that lessens the burden of whatever it is we call 'regret', guilty conscience, whatever, from our end.

For instance, your first wife will always be hurt, the second one didn't pay you back, thats your dodge to get out of apologizing. She may not accept it, and you can't change what happened between you, that doesn't matter. That you saw it and manned up to it to her face, thats all.

Really really hard to do, I know. I have some skeletons In my closet, too. Everyone does.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

There get a star for being predictable.

If you reread i'm actually advising but i guess it's not worth anything to you since i didnt offer cuddles or grand smileys. The keys are there but if one chooses to repeatedly not see them nor accept them, you cannot feel sorry for them forever. As if feeling sorry for them was akin to empathy or what they needed at all, you got it all wrong. Unless you like people being sorry for you, so it gives you recomfort that such "empathy" "compassion" are helping you cope with your dreadful non existent past? Without ever treating the infection at its root but running into circles giving the illusion of advancement?

You relate to the op from your own experience? Hence why you feel like my post is directed to you? Since you cannot get the underlying message, it's safe to say you have the same mindset of not being able to see past the illusions? Not worth the hassle. If you aint ready to make the effort to accept everything as it is, and make peace with them once and for all without ever looking back, then it's just another complacent one in his own suffering getting fired up every time he meets someone else with the same burden and blindness, feeling less lonely. Like good old drunks sharing their drunkunness to naught, pretending to do anything else but further destroying themselves instead of just #ing giving up on it? You call that empathy? The irony is strong..

I'm not narcissist but i can choose to be, at any moment, as anything else. What does that make me?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParanoidCovKid
a reply to: superman2012

Some people learn better from considering the what ifs. This is true for me anyway, i like to dwell on the what ifs, consider every path or choice i could have taken, reflect on how much better a situation could of gone if i chose to say or do something different.

The reason for this is because i invested time, emotion and applied different thought processes so when i come across the same given situation again i easily remember from my past mistake and can also quickly consider what would be the wiser choice as i put a great deal of time and emotion into it.

Hope this clarified why some people think or dwell on the what ifs?

I do understand that for sure, but isn't it much better to just take 5 seconds and think about your options before reacting or acting? That's what I try to do, I like chess and I like to figure out as many moves in real life as the day goes on. Live and learn is a good way too, but regretting decisions (in my opinion) are saying to yourself that you can't trust yourself or you aren't able to make the right decisions. Maybe I'm just too much of a robot!

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying that for me.

I didn't mean to come across as rude in my previous reply, so if I did, I apologise.

I didn't take it that way at all.

edit on 3-6-2016 by superman2012 because: the matrix got me

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I like chess too, great thinking mans game. I used to play a lot of chess as a teenager with my dad growing up, he said to me to apply the same thinking skills in chess to real life situations so that in itself could be why i like to carefully think about the what ifs more so than others.

Having said that i took my time in chess and some games could last a few hours, probably why i take my time and have to be so anal about it all haha

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join