It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Recreational Pot Tax Brings In $3.5 Million In 1st Month

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

they do, its taxed up the a-hole

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The same with cigarettes Neo.

There's 200% tax in most cases on any tobacco sales. It's no different.

And no, it doesn't go up in smoke, if you do some research on those other states that have had this tax revenue, they've put it to good use.

Not ALL government is bad, as much as you'd like to believe it.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Then educate the populace properly, anti DUI campaigns etc.

You have got to be kidding me! DUI is the biggest scam going these days. Just wait until they get "Driving Under the Influence of Pot" going.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

They do actually and rightfully so.

Being intoxicated, either by alcohol or drugs period, isn't the time where you should be operating a thousands of pounds death trap.

I'm not anti MJ, hell I work in the industry, but at the end of the day common sense must prevail. Can't have teens high on their rockers out joy riding.

~Tenth
edit on 6/3/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Tehthehet

Man, I think it would be so cool to live in a stoner state. I've always wondered what life in a stoner state is like.

So, for example, for those jobs that require drug tests like 18 wheeler truck drivers and such.........how do people get around that? Where I live a lot of the contractors are required to do random monthly drug tests on personel like electricians and heavy equipment operators.

The other thing I've wondered about is the schools. Are the teachers subjected to random drug testing? Or do the schools even care if the teachers are "mellowed out" as it were?

Interesting times indeed!

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

My guess is that its legal, but a corporation is not discriminating if they do not allow people who smoke / pot, etc to work for them so random drug testing goes on as usual.

Some jobs do not even allow smokers of cigarettes.

edit on 3-6-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I agree with you. If that was what DUI was about, I'd be in favor of it. I'm putting together a post on what I mean and I'm just about ready to put it up. I just have a little more research to do.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

I agree with you. If that was what DUI was about, I'd be in favor of it. I'm putting together a post on what I mean and I'm just about ready to put it up. I just have a little more research to do.

Good, because I was honestly thinking you were supporting DUI lol

Send m,e a link when you post it.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
this is how the taxes are supposed to be split up:

Q: Where will the tax money go?
A: Measure 91 provides distribution of revenue after costs to the following:
40 percent to Common School Fund
20 percent to Mental Health Alcoholism and Drug Services
15 percent to State Police
10 percent to Cities for enforcement of the measure
10 percent to Counties for enforcement of the measure
5 percent to Oregon Health Authority for alcohol and drug abuse prevention

your employer can still test you and if it's against policy fire you.

Source

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

What I am working on is how our rights are being stepped on in the name of DUI. If somebody is posing a threat to themselves or others they deserve to be hammered.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Tehthehet

Man, I think it would be so cool to live in a stoner state. I've always wondered what life in a stoner state is like.

So, for example, for those jobs that require drug tests like 18 wheeler truck drivers and such.........how do people get around that? Where I live a lot of the contractors are required to do random monthly drug tests on personel like electricians and heavy equipment operators.

The other thing I've wondered about is the schools. Are the teachers subjected to random drug testing? Or do the schools even care if the teachers are "mellowed out" as it were?

Interesting times indeed!

Well, same as always really. If you're working full time without a break, you are sober. If on a vacation and want to use it have it out of your system before going back to work. Random drug testing, scheduled testing or not.

Recreation wise: I don't see why teaching jobs would have changed their policies due to legalization. Part of legalization wasn't to break drug testing policies, in fact some of it is more stiff now.

Medical wise: Especially when it comes to DUIs and medical marijuana patients who don't have much of a choice but to use it to function while driving to work, etc.(ie see people with seizures who use mm). There are breathalyzer type tests that test for marijuana that may now have those people charged with DUIs.

This was a big concern when Washington State first talked about legalization, many who would otherwise support legalization didn't because it would affect disabled people more so.
edit on 4-6-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

First, we need a test that can determine if you have smoked within the past 2-5 hours. Right now, the most common test that I know of is given by mouth swab, and can detect the presence of MH metabolites in users who have consumed the drug in the last 72 hours.

That's not going to cut it, if we want DUI's for pot to actually pass the smell test.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
On comparing taxes;
Tobacco is expensive because of the health
costs associated with long term use.
Marijuana can *CURE many ailments
including some cancers with almost zero
side effects. No wonder TPTB hate it and
have drug their feet all these years .
They should pay us to smoke/eat it.

*thats right CURE when the last time you've
heard the AMA or FDA say that ?