It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Chewbacca Mom" and kids given free scholarships to Southeastern University

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
They're a Christian school.

Generosity is a virtue and part of the Christian way of life.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

The MSM must have an agenda here, I've seen it said here numerous times, if the MSM is all over it, the government are too.

What's their game!?

On a slightly less sarcastic note, I agree, this encourages people to try to get free stuff by doing nothing or being noobs.

Good on her though, hopefully she and her kids don't squander the opportunity.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Not sure where I displayed group think but I agree the whole mask thing was absurd, I never got the humor. But the thing is, this is not my money, this is not my Chewbacca mask and I am not her. Something nice happened to her and her family and for people to find that upsetting is odd to me.

If you can't acknowledge or express empathy towards those competing for the same outcome, choosing to ignore the feeling of being cheated, you essentially represent the "it's not happening in my backyard, so why should I give a damn" way of life. This was of course positive for her and I admit, her children are "victims" of circumstance, but a slap in the face to those who dedicate their time and energy to more strenuous activities that actually include some form of logic.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I personally try not to begrudge people their good fortune.

I'm with you. I say good for her. She didn't ask for any of this. She simply made a funny video and people everywhere loved it.

She also seems like a nice person and friendly too. That's a win win for once. A decent person getting rewarded just because. It's usually some prick like Zimmerman who lucks out. At least this time is was a just a typical person with a good heart and good sense of humor.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

And yet you choose to make a post based upon my reaction to what I believe is an important issue. What does that make you, cannon fodder? We're on a public forum, what the hell do you think happens here? This is a place to discuss what many believe is wrong with the world.

Yes, i do so because we´re on a public forum, that is whats going on in a place like this, but you seems to be aware of that, so why you are suprised i do not know?

So you think this is an importen issue, right? cause you said this in your OP:

There are so many important issues to share and discuss, but “Chewbacca Mom” has gone viral and alongside “Gorilla Boy”, everybody is distracted.

So many important issues to share and discuss, and you choose this?

How about I make this clear to everybody. I don't think she is cool, smart or funny. I don't think she and her kids are deserving. I think there is a bigger picture here that people are displaying ignorance over. Many humans are sick, starving, homeless and more readily deserving of this opportunity. Many are struggling to make the same thing happen for themselves without resorting to tricks. All the money spent on carting her around, all the media attention. The money spent on her and her children. The fact that people enjoy and embrace these nonsensical videos of people acting dumb.

I think its pretty clear your hating her, no need to point that out, so what are your trying to say here?

Do you think its her fault, that people like you rather want to discuss her, than some of the other "importen" issues you mention?

Is it her fault that a school wants to help getting her kids an education?

Are you angry people have free will, and decides to watch something you dont like?

Do you think it would be better if you where in charge of choosing who gets to get an education?

Do you think uploading a video to youtube, that goes viral, should be punished by removing the right to education?

Or do you just want everybody else to act, think and be like you??

What exactly is your problem with this?

If it is the more importan issues you want to discuss, then lets do so - or do you just want to rant, because people dont do the things you want them to do?

What have you done to help the homeless, the starving kids, the people in need? Been angry on others for not helping them?

Dont tell us what to talk about, just talk about it...

edit on 2-6-2016 by IAMNOTYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Yes she was adorable. It took me a while to start laughing, but once I did, I couldn't help it.
I'm happy for her and her family, and proud of the school for doing this.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
As far as Im concerned education should be free for all anyway.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Right on!

a reply to: angeldoll

I know! When I first saw it, I started laughing, too, and kept on laughing. And as a mother once myself with young kids, I understood where she was coming from with that birthday gift just for herself. It's good just to have a happy laugh once in a while.... no, make that everyday! Good for her!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What exactly made her video any different from the two I posted or any of the other virals like them?

She was delightful

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Oh, pardon me. That's even better.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

It is about advertising its as simple as that. Her video started off with free advertising all over even if the store was only mentioned once. After that, they can do this whole bit and milk that much more media coverage. If this raises sales for a fraction of a percent for Kohls I am sure the cost of these 'gifts' will not compare.

If i was into that crap, id be attempting to make a similar viral vid with a competitors name mentioned. Lol

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

If you can't acknowledge or express empathy towards those competing for the same outcome, choosing to ignore the feeling of being cheated, you essentially represent the "it's not happening in my backyard, so why should I give a damn" way of life.

If I could - I would fix this world. There are so many that are suffering - it's not possible to comprehend how many

Giving this one woman something changes none of that and it doesn't make any of it worse

She made people laugh - the fact that this video was so popular should tell us all something

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Her video is priceless and it still makes us laugh every time we see it. That aside, it is always great to see good genuine people have a win via random acts of kindness.

She's an awesome mum and clearly some very generous folks saw the same light in her as what I did and decided to act on it.

I'm really happy for her and her family.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Media darlings always get everything handed to them, it's the stupidest form of entitlement.

Remember the "Islamaphobia" student that brought a clock that looked like a suitcase bomb to a science fair and the cops were called in? He was offered a scholarship to MIT and other schools and from what I've read the family has made a lot of money from the situation. I say it was all staged for attention and they completely milked it.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: Raggedyman

Arnoe Scwazzenegger

who?

Thats what his mates call him, Arnold to you

or spell correct

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
I'm with you. I say good for her. She didn't ask for any of this. She simply made a funny video and people everywhere loved it.

I guess that is one of the parts that puzzles me, it was not like she put on the absurd mask and petitioned for scholarships. It certainly seemed to happen organically.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
It is about advertising its as simple as that. Her video started off with free advertising all over even if the store was only mentioned once.

If that were the case the store would have compensated her. I am pretty sure the establishment where she purchased that mask has a fairly decent advertising department.

After that, they can do this whole bit and milk that much more media coverage.

Has the store in question promoted this video as a form of advertising?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

She made 62 million people laugh in one day...good for her I say.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
If you can't acknowledge or express empathy towards those competing for the same outcome, choosing to ignore the feeling of being cheated, you essentially represent the "it's not happening in my backyard, so why should I give a damn" way of life. This was of course positive for her and I admit, her children are "victims" of circumstance, but a slap in the face to those who dedicate their time and energy to more strenuous activities that actually include some form of logic.

You are operating under the assumption this was a zero sum outcome, that her and her children's scholarships have taken it away from some other needy person's right now, in her case, and in the future, in her children's. There are zero facts to make that determination. Who is to say a wealthy alum did not underwrite the scholarships?

But more importantly, it was the university's money, they can do anything they want with it and your, or my, personal opinion be damned.

(post by BuzzyWigs removed for a manners violation)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join