It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF is Intersectional Feminism?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

If we look closer, let's intersect this problem

Isn't this just another way of saying "let's look at influencing factors"?

Intersectionality theory, as a framework to facilitate social study may have merit with academics. As a means of justification is what concerns me as it implicitly points towards an agenda.

By the way, I fall under the 'gay' label and due to protracted illness in recent years I am also now disabled, condemned to a life of being single, obese and poor. How come I don't feel oppressed or discriminated against?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The intersectional anaytical approach was used by psychologists in the 1950s a while before the black, female feminists of the 1960s adopted the approach. It is not a feminist approach, but an analytical, contextual approach, which can be used in many different scenarios, by many different groups claiming multiple identities, that has been proven to intersect.

Any form of analysis that provides us with evidence-based facts, to get government to do the right thing, is the way we need to go.

www.tandfonline.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

If you don't have a problem in any area of your life, then obviously you don't feel discrimination exists, but there may be varying factors at play why one is more or less accepting of societal systems that are in place that may or may not serve one's personal subjective needs or interests. For some disabled people, they consider themselves able and when they venture out to find accommodation to allow them to work or join in other facets of society, they find barriers.

www.ncwd-youth.info...

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Glasses are just a result of involuntary genetics and biology. Tattoos, hair, and most of obesity aren't.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad

If we look closer, let's intersect this problem

Isn't this just another way of saying "let's look at influencing factors"?

Intersectionality theory, as a framework to facilitate social study may have merit with academics. As a means of justification is what concerns me as it implicitly points towards an agenda.

The agenda is called cultural Marxism.

In 'regular' Marxism, it is axiomatic that there is an insoluble class struggle and that one side has moral justification and the other does not. Therefore it is permissible for the justified class (proletariat theoretically, and Bolshevik agitators in practice) to take collective, unjust and even evil actions against any members of the supposedly privileged bourgeoisie, which would be considered crimes if inflicted upon proletariat by more supposedly privileged people and institutions.

Cultural marxism has the same dynamic. (but not real marxism, they don't want daddy's money being taken away by anybody except for mom or them)

In practice, what this really comes down to is that highly privileged but incapable white Western women (most privileged in the history of civilization outside nobility) are trying to glom themselves onto Marxist-victim-legitimacy along with the (in my opinion, much more significant and real) difficulties of ethnic minorities and poor people.

Gay white men are being kicked out as a class from some university LGBTQ organizations because they 'have too much privilege now' --- (in truth because they call out feminist BS for what it is without the male-female sexual dynamic coming in play, and have men's internal self-regulation and drive for professional success)

it's nutty, and I'm a classical FDR-style liberal, not a conservative.

edit on 3-6-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I understand what you are saying. Do you really believe, in the current social climate, this type of methodology is not open to deliberate misinterpretation and manipulation, especially when you factor in the nature of the results ie qualitative rather than quantitative data?

If you don't have a problem in any area of your life, then obviously you don't feel discrimination exists, but there may be varying factors at play why one is more or less accepting of societal systems that are in place that may or may not serve one's personal subjective needs or interests.

With respect, I find this rather presumptive and slightly condescending. Yes I was being rather flippant but solely to demonstrate a point . Of course I believe 'real' discrimination exists in parts of the world. I have read some very emotive stories by homosexual men who have been tortured in Iran because of their sexuality. To even attempt to equate this to a distorted perception of 'lack of respect' voiced by alternative lifestyle millennials is demeaning in my opinion (I am not accusing you of this btw). In my generation, respect and decorum meant different things One was earned and the other was about manners. Today, they seem to used interchangeably with authority.

In the last two years I have been housebound and at times bed bound. On the rare occasions I have been able to venture outside with a walking stick, yes I have met barriers. I put this down to oversight, geographical difficulties (eg no lift, steep stairs) and lack of funding. I most certainly do not apportion blame or feel I have been hard done by.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Gay white men are being kicked out as a class from some university LGBTQ organizations because they 'have too much privilege now' --- (in truth because they call out feminist BS for what it is without the male-female sexual dynamic coming in play, and have men's internal self-regulation and drive for professional success)

I started a thread on the very same issue recently. This is how I became aware of intersectionality (from ketsuko).

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I understand what you are saying. Do you really believe, in the current social climate, this type of methodology is not open to deliberate misinterpretation and manipulation, especially when you factor in the nature of the results ie qualitative rather than quantitative data?

If you don't have a problem in any area of your life, then obviously you don't feel discrimination exists, but there may be varying factors at play why one is more or less accepting of societal systems that are in place that may or may not serve one's personal subjective needs or interests.

With respect, I find this rather presumptive and slightly condescending. Yes I was being rather flippant but solely to demonstrate a point . Of course I believe 'real' discrimination exists in parts of the world. I have read some very emotive stories by homosexual men who have been tortured in Iran because of their sexuality. To even attempt to equate this to a distorted perception of 'lack of respect' voiced by alternative lifestyle millennials is demeaning in my opinion (I am not accusing you of this btw). In my generation, respect and decorum meant different things One was earned and the other was about manners. Today, they seem to used interchangeably with authority.

In the last two years I have been housebound and at times bed bound. On the rare occasions I have been able to venture outside with a walking stick, yes I have met barriers. I put this down to oversight, geographical difficulties (eg no lift, steep stairs) and lack of funding. I most certainly do not apportion blame or feel I have been hard done by.

It is a proven, verifiable methodology as evidenced by its continued use in research spanning many decades and used by many disciplines and now we have government agencies adopting this form of research. More importantly it actually discerns, not dismisses, people's actual life experiences in varying situations, categories, and there is a hope that it may identify needed resources and changing laws for equity for all people.

If you are going to be flippant in your replies, you had better prepare yourself for misinterpretations and misunderstandings from others. We can't read your mind. Or if you are being sarcastic most people add /sarc somewhere to give a hint as to intent.

edit on 3-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I get the impression that you are in fact indoctrinated as you are not even prepared to consider possibilities. Heck first year grad students learn basic critiquing skills.

I looked at your recent history which confirms my suspicions.

Have you managed to reject some of the stereotypes as an adult from those imposed on you during childhood by educators and other adults (which supposedly served to help children navigate through the complexities or can we say reigning confusion each generation has to face regarding the double standards and negative traits imposed on both genders).

I have nothing but disdain towards this repulsive aberrant dogma. Like all indoctrinated individuals you are impervious to rational thinking so discussion is a waste of time.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I get the impression that you are in fact indoctrinated as you are not even prepared to consider possibilities. Heck first year grad students learn basic critiquing skills.

I looked at your recent history which confirms my suspicions.

Have you managed to reject some of the stereotypes as an adult from those imposed on you during childhood by educators and other adults (which supposedly served to help children navigate through the complexities or can we say reigning confusion each generation has to face regarding the double standards and negative traits imposed on both genders).

I have nothing but disdain towards this repulsive aberrant dogma. Like all indoctrinated individuals you are impervious to rational thinking so discussion is a waste of time.

I will leave you to your fantasies. assumptions and suspicions then.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

LOL

We don't need feminism but feminism needs you, to be a victim, in order to stay relevant.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

LOL

We don't need feminism but feminism needs you, to be a victim, in order to stay relevant.

LOL reality is relevant...get some.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join