It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF is Intersectional Feminism?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnthePhilistine

originally posted by: aorAki
a reply to: ketsuko

If that occurred, then I would engage in some constructive dialogue to get to the heart of the matter.

Can you give an example of what you are talking about? Is that something you reserve for others, 'cause I've never seen you doing that on ATS.

How the # did this only get 5 stars?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

How the # did this only get 5 stars?

Snowflake worries about stars?

Aww, how sweet.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
a reply to: reldra

yeah to bad the term and descriptions was only created to break us apart,

This is something that would be taught in a gender studies or women's studies class. It is a theory, I don't find it to be a fact. But to study these issues, you need language and terms for them.

This would be a commonplace part of a syllabus in a University class like this for decades. Somehow, years later someone wants to act as if it is divisive or incomprehensible.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I was referring to the video when I said I may get savaged. I though some may have been angered by it.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Now i myself have not seen milo say this myself

There you go.

13min 52 sec

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad
a reply to: everyone

Now i myself have not seen milo say this myself

There you go.

13min 52 sec

The new shift is indeed one fight - humanist. Those clinging on to minority radical ideas as a basis for debate are sadly falling into the divisive agenda of the few haters with media coverage. Look beyond and in-between for the truth.

With that being said, it’s frightening to see the beliefs that people such as Yiannopoulos and Bindel are instilling into young minds, and even more frightening to see that it is because of people like them that men fear the word “feminism.” Feminism is not what either of them aspire for it to be. There is no give-and-take mechanism involved in the treatment of men and women. It is an insult to say that one gender is not entitled to the respect it deserves, or to say that that one gender can only be given its due respect by demeaning another.

dailybruin.com...
edit on 3-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Oh, but not even humanism is apparently immune to intersectionalism. Ddi you bother to look at the video I posted? It isn't enough to be humanist to cure the ills of being intersectionalist.

The American Humanists have launched Black Humanists and Gay Humanists and Feminist Humanists ... all their own little sub-groups of Humanists because the theory of intersectionalism says that they are not the same thing. That their essential experiences are too different to let them all just be happy little Humanists together.

And this is why intersectionalism is poisonous. It attempts to further subdivide advocacy groups turning those who would otherwise be natural allies with something in common against each other - Divide & Conquer! Do you not see it?

What these people are lacking is a sense of true individuality. They seem to be so uncomfortable with the notion of just being themselves and understanding that all of us have differing experiences in life that they are needing to carve out ever smaller groups they can identify with in order to validate what they perceive as the very real differences they have with others.

In other words, they suddenly are noticing that they are not little herd animals and instead of just understanding that individuality is normal and natural and not scary, they are creating new "scholarly" theories to explain qualities they always had in order to try to remain in their little boxes with other people just like them.
edit on 3-6-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I don't see it that way. Intersect, to me, means common issues that meet at an intersection. A meeting of the minds, if you will, to the systematic injustices and discriminatory practices which permeate every level of society, no matter your orientation.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I don't see it that way. Intersect, to me, means common issues that meet at an intersection. A meeting of the minds, if you will, to the systematic injustices and discriminatory practices which permeate every level of society, no matter your orientation.

That's not what it is though.

Intersectionalism says that it's not enough for everyone to have one thing in common. If someone in the group is, say, black, then everyone having that one thing in common is not enough, the group is no longer cohesive. The black member now has new struggles born out of the special circumstances of being both black and member of that group, and no one else in that group can adequately understand what that black member's struggles in life are because none of them are black.

So now a new special group must be set up to recognize and advocate for people who are both black and whatever the first group was. And everyone will be happy until they notice that there is one woman who is black and whatever the first group was. Then, the woman will realize she now has new struggles that relate to how she is at once black and a woman and whatever the first group was, and since the rest are all men, no one else in the group (obviously) can adequately understand HER special struggles as a being all three at once!

And so we keep repeating this process, on and on.

This is how academic intersectionalism works. It is also a way to attempt to set up a complex hierarchy of all the many ways one can be a victim and oppressed in society.
edit on 3-6-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Well, the experts in Norway are embracing this and perhaps can explain its usefulness better than I can. I look at this as they do, basically looking as issues from other perspectives and working together to resolve those issues for the benefit of everyone.
www.gender.no...

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
dbl post

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

That didn't say anything I haven't said or anyone else hasn't said.

It tears people apart rather than encouraging them to come together.

Let's look at ways to figure out how we are different and make a problem out of it rather than look at ways in which we are the same and find common ground and build from there. This, to me, is intersectionalism.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That didn't say anything I haven't said or anyone else hasn't said.

It tears people apart rather than encouraging them to come together.

Let's look at ways to figure out how we are different and make a problem out of it rather than look at ways in which we are the same and find common ground and build from there. This, to me, is intersectionalism.

I disagree and this 'inclusive' and fact gathering approach may also help those to understand others' issues, that is if one is willing to listen and have an open mind.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

How is it inclusive for everyone to sit down and pick over the many ways in which everyone else present kept them down without meaning to? It creates resentment on all sides.

Look at society today. You have so many different groups all pointing fingers at others and yelling, "It's your fault!" That is a product of intersectionalist thought. Everyone looks at how they have problems with everyone else and world at large and demands that it all be changed to cater to them. This is, of course, impossible. No one can have a world that perfectly reflects their own desires and makes them feel warm, fuzzy, and safe.

But now everyone is looking at how their grass isn't as green as someone else's and why that might be and why that person's greener grass might have come at the expense of their own.

And, of course, the experts love this because it gives them more power over everyone as they claim they can fix it all and force people to live in their preferred way. This becomes, not unity, but totalitarian, and they wipe away the old to build what they deem to be the new.

In the end, I predict NO ONE will end up happy.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

That's interesting but surely you do realize that the term is of interest only to nutters zealots that advocate for this stuff.

Ten years from now, no one will remember the term or the zealots.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

to the systematic injustices and discriminatory practices which permeate every level of society, no matter your orientation.

I am not sure which country you live in but this is most certainly not the case in the UK, far from it. In fact the only real struggle in the UK is class struggle, which ironically is what the left cast aside in favour of identity politics.

I support equality of opportunity but the progressive left have changed this into an abhorrent perversion called equality of outcome. My nephew was refused his chosen school as they said he was just outside the boundary. The next nearest school was 9 miles away. And yet 6 Asian kids who were much further outside the boundary than my nephew were given places. My brother telephoned the school to complain and he was told they have to fill quotas or they are fined.

QUOTAS FFS

It beggars belief. This is not addressing oppression or discrimination. It is favouritism and the promotion of discrimination.

.... and 'they' wonder why there is a backlash from the general public.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Forgot to mention. These types can now by their own 'rebirth garments'

Rebirth Garments challenges mainstream beauty standards that are sizest, ableist, and conform to the gender binary. Instead, we maintain the notion of Radical Visibility, a movement based on claiming our bodies and, through the use of bright colors, exuberant fabrics, and innovative designs, highlighting the parts of us that society typically shuns. Through Radical Visibility, we refuse to assimilate and can create a QueerCrip dress reform movement.

*thud*

Rebirth Garments

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

This approach seeks to use a double-pronged approach at looking behind the reasoning of existing legislation that discriminates against minorities (including the poor, homeless, etc.). It is being adopted and praised as a better way to look at discrimination by using 'linking' or 'identifying' personal discrimination experiences with intersectional analysis covering multiple identities. In this way, we can look more closely where problems exist across the human rights spectrum.

www.ohrc.on.ca...

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Even here in Canada discrimination against the poor is, sadly, a continuing problem, as I am sure is in your country. If we look closer, let's intersect this problem with economic realities (wage gap, lack of jobs, etc.) and question the government legislation or policies that don't change to reflect changing economic or discriminatory wage gap (wages not increasing at par with rising costs) conditions.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The true cause for feminism is suffrage, leading to an emancipation for all females to be treated with equality in a non-sexual way. Anything beyond that is feminism negated, feminism destructive, feminism given agenda beyond genuine complaint.

Ladies, you are not entitled to what you do not merit, and what you merit, is not always defined or described by your thoughts and actions...or your wants. If you seek equality (and you should have it in my book), you have to take all the positives and negatives that go with it. There is no using your gender to get what you want, you are not more special than men. Gaining equality means enjoying and suffering the same pros and cons that men do.

Let's put you on the front line of a battlefield. Learn engineering, build a house, fix the electric, the plumbing, do all the things that men do in equal terms, and get paid the same and enjoy (or not) the same competition men are under. Let's not have any of this...ah, but I am a woman, and I can't do that. You don't get to have your cake and eat it. Equality will not be achieved on female terms alone, it will be achieved by consensual agreement with the male.

I am not going to disenfranchise myself from my masculinity, I am not going to reduce or dilute my manliness in any way for you, and I'm certainly not going to allow you any range or scope to reduce it either, but also, I will not treat you as a sex object, I will treat you as the person you are.

It goes without saying, it will kill romance and chivalry, and as for relationships of longevity and meaning and passion, forget it, such sterility of equality denounces the feelings a man may hold for a woman. Feminism attacks the very reason and purpose life gives to a man for living....if you are not bright enough to understand, let me tell you, you are the reason. You and the child or children you may bear.

Personally, I believe that if you a feminist whose thinking goes beyond equality in society, you are not to be trusted in the slightest way, or at the furthest distance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join