It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF is Intersectional Feminism?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

ketsuko introduced me to this term a few weeks ago and the more I read, the more I realise that it is part of the social justice agenda. Like many on ATS, I had no idea what all these social justice buzz phrases meant like triggering, safe spaces, micro-aggression and no-platforming. I had to look them up and try to put them into some form of perspective I could understand. Well intersectional feminism is another one I can add to the list.

From what I can gather, there is a concern among contemporary feminists relating to a perceived loss of momentum. They recognised that not every feminist is white, middle class, cis-gendered and able bodied so they came up with a solution called intersectionality, a term that was coined by American professor Kimberlé Crenshaw in 1989.

The view that women experience oppression in varying configurations and in varying degrees of intensity. Cultural patterns of oppression are not only interrelated, but are bound together and influenced by the intersectional systems of society.

The concept of intersectionality in feminism has been around for decades and it began with the exploration of the interplay between gender and race. Since then other identities and oppressions have been added to the theory such as class, ethnicity, disability, gender, sexuality and body type. From what I have read it has only become popular in recent times due to the fact that it is being actively propelled into mainstream debate by third wave bedroom feminists.

The concept has grown to encompass a veritable plethora of privilege, with activists seemingly keen to elaborate ever finer distinctions between the resulting intersections. As with any currently-fashionable sociological theory, one should ignore the loons and zealots, whilst remaining receptive to any useful insights and grains of truth the theory provides.

So is this theory worthy of study, despite it being used as a framework by third wave feminists? According to Wikipedia:

Intersectionality (or intersectional theory) is the study of overlapping or intersecting social identities and related systems of oppression, domination, or discrimination. The theory suggests that—and seeks to examine how—various biological, social and cultural categories such as gender, race, class, ability, sexual orientation, religion, caste, age, nationality and other sectarian axes of identity interact on multiple and often simultaneous levels.

The theory proposes that we should think of each element or trait of a person as inextricably linked with all of the other elements in order to fully understand one's identity. This framework can be used to understand how systemic injustice and social inequality occur on a multidimensional basis. Intersectionality holds that the classical conceptualizations of oppression within society—such as racism, sexism, classism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia and belief-based bigotry—do not act independently of each other. Instead, these forms of oppression interrelate, creating a system of oppression that reflects the "intersection" of multiple forms of discrimination.

I found it difficult to find an alternate view on intersectional feminism. Most of the links I searched were from feminists themselves who supported this framework. I did find a Marxist feminist critique of intersectionality theory although it is beyond the scope of this OP. Anyone interested can read it here.

What I did find is a video by Undoomed on Youtube. He uses a vlog from an intersectional feminist describing what IF actually is. He stops the vlog intermittently to address what she is saying in a satirical and at times disparaging way although he makes some good points in my opinion. Ironically the female in the vlog does fit the intersectional feminist stereotype which Milo Yiannopoulos talks about: "lesbian" (she's bisexual but that is a part-time lesbian), "overweight", "not-attractive" (one Youtuber mentions 'problem glasses' which I think they find threatening), "bright coloured hair". Ah the hair. Anyone remember Milo saying the hair is due to Aposematism, a warning colouration found in nature to ward of predators (he was being facetious).

There is some swearing so maybe not safe for work. I may get savaged by some female members but to be honest, I don't really care. If you feel you must then go ahead. I think it is important to see this from another perspective.

1 2

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Could this be a transgender potty or transcraper issue?
Cheers

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Lol OP, don't waste your time learning these idiots terminology.

Just laugh at them and tell them the truth( looks directly into the eyes of a ❄, "you are #ing stupid! ").

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

You're so old school that I had to use a geologic time scale to find you...

Your response is the classic response of someone who feels threatened.

Ahahaha.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

Enjoy that mindset the next time someone calls you a bigot for intersecting in the wrong way.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If that occurred, then I would engage in some constructive dialogue to get to the heart of the matter.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Yea, like you usually do with soldier shaming, and calling people dicks

sorry if I don't trust your moral high ground.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Oh my, someone actually used a TERM and described the matching IDEA. I hope you survive.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki
a reply to: ketsuko

If that occurred, then I would engage in some constructive dialogue to get to the heart of the matter.

Can you give an example of what you are talking about? Is that something you reserve for others, 'cause I've never seen you doing that on ATS.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Coincidentally i ran into that very dame video just 2 days ago and heard the term for the first time. I suspect this form of feminism will be rejected by most white western feminist. Why? Because what it basically comes down to is a privilege point system like they basically already use in all forms of feminism/SJW'ism but this one does not allow for the exclusion of white woman. Or thin slender beautiful woman.

Now i myself have not seen milo say this myself " Ironically the female in the vlog does fit the intersectional feminist stereotype which Milo Yiannopoulos talks about: "lesbian" (she's bisexual but that is a part-time lesbian), "overweight", "not-attractive"
but i can believe it and they fit the bill perfectly because this form of feminism fits their special needs perfectly. And so feminism is turning towards females in a more direct way (next to protecting rapists as long as they are not white which imo is also a attack on woman , and men who have been raped ofc but that's just me).

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Not only did he use a term and describe the ludicrous associated idea, he ridiculed both appropriately.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I first ran across it when Sargon was ripping into the notion of Humanism+ which is apparently intersectionalism as applied to Humanism.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

It's not 'soldier shaming', it's exposing the truth. I'm sorry it's difficult to accept that you have contributed to the problem and were involved in wars based on lies.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

I'm sorry it's difficult to accept that you have contributed to the problem and were involved in wars based on lies.

Sounds a lot like feminism actually.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Historically, the mainstream “feminist movements” were largely conducted by white, middle/upper class women. During the first wave of feminism (suffragism), the movement strategically excluded black women from the cause as to not conflate sex and race.

When the 19th Amendment was passed in 1920, it legally enfranchised all women, white and black. However, within a decade, state laws and vigilante practices effectively disenfranchised most black women in the South. It would take another major movement for voting rights – the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s – before black women in the South would be effectively enfranchised.

source

Thus, minority women and white women DO experience different types of situations. “White” middle/upper class feminists don’t speak for all women and they can’t account for the layer of racism that exists alongside sexism. The combined effect provides a different experience that white women do not understand.

Misogynoir is a term referring to misogyny directed towards Black women, where race and gender both play roles in bias.

Here is an example of pay gap by race. White women earn more than other minority women.

Another example is poverty. Women are substantially more likely to experience poverty worldwide than men. The problems facing poor women are vastly different than rich women. Higher paying jobs obtained by women with degrees often provide maternity leave, poor women do not have this luxury. Another example is childcare. Poor women usually struggle with finding money for childcare whereas rich women don’t. And in cases of sexual assault or domestic abuse, poor women don’t have access to good legal and financial support to help them, as opposed to rich women. These are just a few examples.

Make sense? Poor people have different experiences than the rich, black people from white, and men from women. All of these scenarios can intersect (you can be black, poor, and female), hence, intersectionality.

There are many different types of feminist ideologies, so lumping all “feminists” together like they are one unified force is a mistake. Keep in mind, feminism is a leaderless movement. Just because you disagree with one person that identifies as a feminist, doesn’t mean that the entire concept of feminism should be thrown out with the bathwater.

Here are some different types of feminist ideologies

Eco-feminism, and many other ideologies, aren’t included in that list.

As a side note, I am not sure why the people on ATS are so offended by feminists. It isn’t like they are physically hurting anyone. You call them “bedroom feminists,” but ironically you probably wrote this post from inside your own bedroom, so how can you even be critical of slackdivism?
edit on 2-6-2016 by primespickle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
is it just me or is the searching out things to be offended by worse than whatever is offending them ?

how much manufactured outrage do you need in your daily diet ?

jeesh

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
You know what this all reminds me of.... the saying "If You Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance, Baffle Them With Bull." WC Fields

Labels, all labels ..... the throwing some crap hoping it will stick, thing. When society has exhausted all the various perversions...... then what ? Giving something a name in no way legitimizes it.

I am a male. I like sex with females. Not animals, tranys, homosexuals, mollusks, kitchen utensils, flower arrangements or car parts. I'm sure each has a title / label. However none are a natural complement to a male/female relationship. If you have a problem with that...... then you have the problem. And I will not be indulging those who prefer these perversions.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Always with the weird hair colors.

Young men, you see a chick with weird hair you run the other direction. Especially if she's fat or wearing glasses.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

a reply to: Sargeras

You're so old school that I had to use a geologic time scale to find you...

Your response is the classic response of someone who feels threatened.

Ahahaha.

Lol, I am in fact from the last generation of badasses, Generation X.

I am 38, so I remember the proven principles and practices that built this once great civilization.

Truth, open debate and free expression.

But these idiots have taken it too too too far.

They only want their truth to be allowed, their is no debating just shouting down and shaming, you may express anything you want, as long as it is approved by the thought thought police.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

yeah to bad the term and descriptions was only created to break us apart,

anyway how u doin baphamets queen?
edit on 2-6-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join