It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US company made guns out of 4.6 billion year old meteorite going for 4.5 million $US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I just read the topic of old spear made from meteorite in ancient Egypt on ATS and now encountered this somewhere else; for the new age guys =)

Some pictures
edit on 2-6-2016 by belkide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Any english source? Where is the article? Any more info you could add to your OP?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Ah, an english source: money.cnn.com...

High-end handgun maker Cabot Guns is making a pair of pistols from a meteorite.

Cabot Guns announced that its "extra-terrestrial pistols" will be forged from a meteorite as old as the Earth itself, and could sell for as much as $1 million at auction next year.

"It hasn't been done before and that's the kind of thing that drives me," said Cabot founder and president Rob BiaNchin in an email to CNNMoney. "I think it's fair to state many of the pistols we have constructed border on art."

"Meteor is rare, more so than terrestrial precious metals and I wanted to create a set of guns that were formed from a material that had intrinsic value," BiaNchin said.

Cabot, a four-year-old company located near Pittsburgh that's sometimes called the Rolls Royce of gun makers.The company's clients include actor Joe Mantegna, rocker Kid Rock and Twisted Sister's Dee Snyder.

What a waste of precious meteorites. Typical of mankind's warmongering mentality: "Hey, look, we've got rare rocks as old as the Solar System which falls from the sky only once in a blue moon... What should we do with them? Ooh, I know, let's turn them into guns. "

edit on 2-6-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I'm thinking not so good unless you want it to rust. Wouldn't tempered steel be the better choice than junk metal from a meteorite

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

All metal is as old as the earth isn't it? Silly point to make I think.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

The atoms, yeah, but molecules are not necessarily as old. Alot of substances are actually "young" in the fact that their atoms have just been rearranged into new molecules.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Meteorites are not any junk metal, they are a nickel/iron alloy that make really nice looking patterns, meteorite knife are really expensive.

kramerknives.com...
edit on 2-6-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: belkide

Adding Images, there is some serious craftsmanship at work here, simply beautiful........

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Meteorites are not any junk metal, they are a nickel/iron alloy that make really nice looking patterns,

plus if you think about it, the metal is tempered the whole way down through the atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
It's the only way to kill an alien reptilian.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Looks like they'll be making 1911s out of them.

I would personally never fire one of these. The frames may not hold up as you're talking about a heavily crystallized, nickle-rich, iron ore.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

What a waste of precious meteorites. Typical of mankind's warmongering mentality: "Hey, look, we've got rare rocks as old as the Solar System which falls from the sky only once in a blue moon... What should we do with them? Ooh, I know, let's turn them into guns. "

What wrong with that? It's not like we're running out of meteorite.

It's no different than Japanese sword smiths making Katana out of meteorite.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

meteors are killer rocks from outer space. Meteors killed the dinosaurs and almost all life on earth during the pre-cambrian extinction.
otherwise what? the meteor would be sitting on a shelf collecting dust, at least this way it has a chance of saving a human life.
making it into a weapon sounds logical, also it should fire silver bullets.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Looks like they'll be making 1911s out of them.

I would personally never fire one of these. The frames may not hold up as you're talking about a heavily crystallized, nickle-rich, iron ore.

Except for the barrel and return spring, it looks like it could take the pressure (from light loads). They would of course test it. Would like to see a close up of the firing pin, too.
edit on 2-6-2016 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The frames may not hold up as you're talking about a heavily crystallized, nickle-rich, iron ore.

I know BUT all your mates will elevate you to the social status of a God when they find out you have the worlds first and only functioning SPACE GUNS!!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
of course americans had to make guns out of it!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I know BUT all your mates will elevate you to the social status of a God when they find out you have the worlds first and only functioning SPACE GUNS!!

TP-82 disagree

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I wouldn't pay that much for a Nighthawk Custom 1911 with all the bells and whistles, I'm definitely not paying that much for a space rock 1911.
edit on 2 6 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
There is theory that famus damascus steel hi quality weapons were made from asteroid alloy. Such blades were reputed to be tough, resistant to shattering and capable of being honed to a sharp, resilient edge. A research team in Germany published a report in 2006 revealing nanowires and carbon nanotubes in a blade forged from Damascus steel. A team of researchers based at the Technical University of Dresden that used x-rays and electron microscopy to examine Damascus steel discovered the presence of cementite nanowires and carbon nanotubes. Peter Paufler, a member of the Dresden team, says that these nanostructures are a result of the forging process and despite research, the original method of producing Damascus steel is not known.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Firing pin is probably from titanium(same color when unpolished), bushing is stainless, barrel stainless with titanium nitride coating. Is the other parts are forged or MIM? Very cool looking 1911, with threaded barrel and subsonic loads with suppressor will be cool pistol for Hitman Movie

top topics

<<   2 >>

join