It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Control of immune response relies on a key protein, study finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Written by Catharine Paddock PhD
Published: Tuesday 31 May 2016

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

Scientists have identified a protein that appears to play a key role in controlling immune response. By testing how the protein works in mice, they found possible explanations for why immune T cells sometimes fail to eliminate tumors and chronic infections. They suggest the discovery may lead to new treatments for many diseases, including cancer, autoimmune diseases, and infections.
. . .
From tests on mice, Prof. Bradley and colleagues found PSGL-1 plays a key role in inhibiting T-cell activity. It is needed to increase levels of checkpoints.
. . .
Prof. Bradley suggests blocking the protein could boost the immune response to cancer and chronic viral infections like hepatitis. Alternatively, increasing the protein could inhibit immune response, an approach that could be useful for treating autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and lupus.
. . .

Sounds exciting, to me.
I hope they speed the research to the point of broad application.
Are any ATSers working in this field? What do you think?
Certainly some new treatment for MS, lupus and arthritis would be most welcome . . . in addition, of course, to the cancer help etc.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

If you remove the protein, what will be the damage on your body?
I only see a solution to getting rid of the cancer itself, but not the impact on the body.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LauGhing0ne

I don't think that they got that far.

Perhaps it would be safer to merely suppress it's expression for a limited time--until the cancer or whatever was dealt with decisively?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Hi, long time lurker here who finally felt compelled to join and share my expertise in this field.

I'm a pharmacologist by training now working for a big pharma in the commercilization of this new wave of cancer immunotherapies. A quick Google search will show you how anti-PD1 and anti-CTLA4 antibodies are becoming the most powerful tool we've ever had to fight cancer (and the most exciting is that they seem to work in synergy with so-called alternative therapies like bicarbonate and probiotics which deserves a topic on its own).

This new target supposedly control the expression of a number of these checkpoint including PD1. It could potentially show activity similar to combination checkpoint blockade that we have today, only time will tell if it actually improves on it and/or on its safety profile. It is definitely an exiting time for research in oncology and autoimmune diseases and I truly believe we are only a few years away from cures to most cancers since discoveries like the one cited in the OP are now happening almost every week. Yes these cures will be brought to you by the evil pharmas which have been hiding it from you all this time [/sarcasm]. a reply to: BO XIAN

edit on 2-6-2016 by Immunis because: Typo

edit on 2-6-2016 by Immunis because: Typo

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Immunis

THANKS TONS for your experienced perspective.

What timeline do you anticipate before the average patient could be helped by this discovery?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Hoping a cure for food allergies and allergies pertaining to animals...start small and work up to the big ones..

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Hoping a cure for food allergies and allergies pertaining to animals...start small and work up to the big ones..

INDEED.

That would be a great blessing to millions.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: LauGhing0ne

I don't think that they got that far.

Perhaps it would be safer to merely suppress it's expression for a limited time--until the cancer or whatever was dealt with decisively?

if that is the case, i can probably come up with a solution for every sickness in the world

top topics

join