It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Justice for Harambe' petition says more about misanthropy than animal rights.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Let's take that off the table then. I think it's apt because non lethal isn't always prudent, even if we want it to be. A knife is a force multiplier, you don't need to be 10x stronger to kill with one, but again, that was wasn't a needed addition, my bad.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I know what you are saying, and I don't disagree completely just think it is hard to compare here.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Imagine if the gorilla tore the child in half in front of onlookers. How many would join a class action for pain and suffering cash?

Looking at this logically; people say that the gorilla was protecting the child but the way he was dragging that kid under the water by his arms he could have easily 'played too rough' and killed the kid.

People were outraged that the zookeeper didn't tranquilise the gorilla first. Well, anyone that's seen a chimp get shot with a dart know that they literally 'chimp out' in stress and panic and potentially hurt the child.

**If** they had some fast acting tranquiliser the ape would have fallen down and crushed the child who was between his legs.

People say "oh but the zoo should have waited for a safe moment to retrieve the child instead of killing him". As seen in the video, people descended on the area, en masse, and you could hear all the screams and panic. The gorilla could hear them too which would probably frighten him where his actions would be unpredictable or violent.

It's a tragety and it makes me sad. I feel sorry for the gorilla and I hope the post sheads light on the situation

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Some interesting comments on both sides of the argument. In relation to the use of anaesthetic darts, I will let Malcolm (Malcolm in the Middle) answer this one. Posted on imgur today. Remember the episode where Malcolm and Dewey are trapped in the tiger enclosure at the zoo and the staff are about to start firing anaesthetic darts?

Malcolm: "How long do they take to work?"

Zoo Official: "About 2 minutes"

Malcolm: "So the plan is to piss them off and keep them awake just long enough so they can take it out on us"

Link

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

originally posted by: Restricted

Do people really believe the kid should have died instead?

Natural. Selection.

Humans got the better of that one too.

Next time around the gorillas will have guns too.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Supposed to be. But we always think we have the answer.

The two things do go together.
Ay, I dunno, we've a long way to go.
It can only get better. I do hope

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Of the humans I do know that are worth saving, even if it's a measly five, I am sure there are hundreds of thousands more worth saving.

To the original post: Animals need zoos like we need anti-pollution acts, recycling programs and all that; they are band-aid solutions to the real problems, in some cases. But seemingly necessary evils, for the time being at least. We live in this 'modern world' where we think we're the 'it'. Unfortunately, as many of us realize, the plight the cast of our die has laid out, we suffer the progress of our civilization.
Only if our cities were built around the ecosystem, in a sort of harmony with the earth and its plants and animals, instead of segregating, limiting and destroying territory and diversity, would we then have learned the value in our selves as a species. I'm not trying to be all new-agey farty-warty and dream utopic, only, these are the kind of ideals I think we could learn to forward our selves.
It's sad that things happen like Cecil and Harambe, it's almost sadder the more these topics are exploited when they occur, for varying agendas. Animals shouldn't be caged. Humans shouldn't have domination over the earth. We should understand this.
edit on 2016/6/2 by Jimjolnir because: (no reason given)

edit on 2016/6/2 by Jimjolnir because: I'm drinking rum

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

Do people really believe the kid should have died instead?

Natural. Selection.

Humans got the better of that one too.

Next time around the gorillas will have guns too.

Wow. There must be a lot more natural selection going on at the zoo than I thought.
edit on 2-6-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

People make mistakes. It is unfortunate that the gorilla had to be put down. In any instance protecting the child would be the top priority regardless of what kind of animal it is.

The people signing this petition are not thinking clearly or critically. First off, anyone that would wish to get CPS involved in the life of the family that made a mistake are twisted and deranged. CPS is one of the most corrupt,vile, scummiest alphabet agencies in this country. Word of advice for all of you: DO NOT CALL CPS! DO NOT CALL CPS! DO NOT CALL CPS! For the sake of the children involved in any volatile situation, there is rarely an instance where they would be better off after getting involved in the system. I need to do a post regarding CPS. Calling CPS on a child is CHILD ABUSE.

Second point. All of you whining about an animal over a human life is disgusting. Unless you belong to the half of a percent of the population that is strictly vegan in this country, shut up. You have no room to talk. The meat industry is horrible, cruel, dirty, and torture. For you to whine and cry over a less populated walking cheeseburger is so hypocritical. If you eat meat you take part in thousands of cruel murders every year that die so you can go through a drive through, NOT in DEFENSE of a human life.

People need to get over themselves.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I've met maybe five humans worth saving. Generally I'd grab the cat first.

Have you thought about going into politics? You'd fit right in.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Not an expert per say but did work as an animal care taker at that very zoo for a long time. Never did work with that ape in specific but have worked with other apes. I am pretty good with large cats too.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix
Well that's pretty awesome. (No sarcasm)

But I still heed the opinions I've read from those who have experience with primates, who have voiced that he did seem agitated.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I have a sneaky, fast, trouble making 2 year old boy. Normally I would come to the defense of the parents if a similar child wandered off...wandered into a gorilla enclosure...whatever. BUT....

witnesses heard the boy saying he wanted to go in there and the mother telling him 'no'. RED FLAG. This was all on the mom. She had warning that it was about to happen and still did nothing to prevent it. Parental fail on this one.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

Damn right!!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I think the biggest issue here, aside from the parents not understanding that kids don't take no as an answer, is that the zoo had absolutely no protocol in place for this sort of emergency.

Their only response was shoot to kill: that says a lot more about the zoo than anything else. A dead animal can still kill, imagine the child being crushed to death as the lifeless gorilla corpse toppled onto him. It was incredible luck that he survived, and bad luck for Harambe that the zoo was so unprepared (in terms of response and enforced enclosures).

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join