It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Justice for Harambe' petition says more about misanthropy than animal rights.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Some further thoughts:

The issue to me is the fact that human beings torture animals and should be stopped but it won’t happen…Did you know that zoos out draw all the sports events in America combined each year! Too much money now involved in zoos.

Also, we humans are getting worst; like that free style fighting!

And hypocritical.

We all wanted to murder Michael Vick for having dog fights but allow human beings to beat; kick, punch, stomp, and dam near kill each other

I love the zoo but would vote for getting rid of them if I could.

Eating meat is bad enough, and medical experiments but zoos and some forms of hunting are pretty gross and cruel as well

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

I honestly hadn't thought about that perspective, but I read that zoos have response teams for this sort of thing.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

we humans are getting worst; like that free style fighting!

You've noticed. As a species, we are regressing.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jimjolnir
a reply to: Liquesence

Don't animals protect their own? We're animals.

Touché.

We're supposed to be the most advanced of the animals, even if we're also the most brutal.

Maybe those two things go together.
edit on 1-6-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

It's just ill see any animal die over and innocent child 100% of the time....

An adult human, not so much.....

Perhaps they should have negotiated a trade: parent for toddler.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Having seen the videos, and knowing a bit about primates, and what all goes in a zoo, the following can be stated:

The first problem is that all of the experts all are saying the same thing, tranquilizer darts would not have been wise in this aspect, as it could have enraged the male gorilla. To save the child the only thing that the caretakers could have done would be to use a bullet, and then get in there to get the child out and do it fast.

The next problem here is that too many people fail to realize that the animals in a zoo, while they appear to be docile or tame, they are not, these are wild animals, they either fear humans or would have no qualms of attacking. They are dangerous and often the curators behind the scenes have to use a variety of techniques to ensure the moving and comfort of said animals, and to ensure their care and upkeep. Some of the animals are never touched or handled, only in the rarest of cases. And each and every procedure is done to keep the contact between humans and animals down to the barest minimum. Zoos work on a tight budget and often have to try to keep the animals safe and the people who visit there safe as well.

Another problem is the visitors to the zoos. Far too often children are not minding where they are running, tend not to pay attention. Far too often, zoos have put up barriers, and taken the time to keep the animals and humans separate, have signs up to state not to do something, like climb a barrier and it is often ignored. It has been shown time and time again, where parents ignore what their children are doing or lose track of them. And sometimes it is cause the parent is more interested in taking pictures or texting. And then freak out when they can’t find their children, or screaming at their children who are misbehaving.

I would say the blame for this should be on the parents. They should be looking out for the dangers of their children, and if in all of this time, that this is the first time this has happened at this zoo, it is a good chance that this is the fault of the parent and not the zoo. And as sad as it is, the parents should be held accountable and foot part of the bill for the events of that day.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted

originally posted by: Jimjolnir

Don't animals protect their own? We're animals.

I've met maybe five humans worth saving. Generally I'd grab the cat first.

I like my cat more than 99% of the people I know, have ever met, or expect to meet in the future.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad

I think the petition is outrageous to be honest and agree with Rob. Has anyone else noticed this increasing trend of condemning people online without all the facts?. One of the commenters on Spiked describes it as a social media hate-fest. How very apt.

Petition

Spiked Article

I've always felt that animal rights was about ego before genuine compassion, misanthropy before kindness to animals, and frankly, in many circumstances simply psychopathy looking for a righteous, reasonably socially acceptable outlet. I'm surprised the three year old kid isn't getting death threats honestly.

As far as people getting all spittle-spewy on the interwebz... well... we've always liked our witch hunts and now there is a layer of anonymity so fun fun for everyone.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The gorilla pen should not have been penetrable by anyone. This pen was poorly engineered. It is sad that the Gorilla is deceased, but lets be glad that the child was not permanantly injured or killed. The gorilla was displaying erratic behavior. Probably most animals caged to life would be a little tweeked. Im sure we will be hearing from that same kid in years to come about what it was like
edit on 1-6-2016 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: GoShredAK

Alas, only humans are brutal enough to kill an animal because of their (humans') own stupidity.

Alas, only humans are brutal enough to watch a helpless child of their own species get torn apart because of their own righteous indignation. At the end of the day, that is what all you self-righteous twits are talking about, but you are too pussy-footed to admit it. Mark Twain was right, the moral sense is the root of all evil in the human species.

I'm glad people with more sense, knowledge and compassion than you were making the decision.

As an aside, if you are not just trolling, there is something deeply, fundamentally wrong with you and you should seek help from a qualified professional.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It's a Tough thing to take a stance on (personally).

If it's true that it was witnessed tht the child wanted "to go in there" then the parents probably should've been much more attentive around this particular animal exhibit.

But another question comes to mind... Why the heck didn't anyone attempt to grab the child!? The zoo appeared to be fairly busy evidenced by the videos. You cannot tell me there weren't at least a few people that stood idly by as a toddler meandered his way around the obstacles. To me THESE are the people to hold more blame than a potentially distracted parent. If I see a little kid stumbling toward an animal of ridiculous strength, I'm going to grab that child. Wouldn't you!?!

On another note, I feel for this kid. Obviously he must REALLY like gorillas. I bet he still does now even after this event. I doubt he realized how much danger he was really in! The only potentially painful thing the gorilla did was drag the boy through water. From a child's standpoint it almost looked fun. A slip and slide of sorts. The kid also didn't seem very frightened. I heard no screams coming from him, no panicked behavior (running etc.). I'm willing to bet he was thrilled, albeit from ignorance, to be face to face with the animal.

However, when he gets a bit older, he will deduce that it was partially his fault for getting the beautiful gorilla killed. That I believe, is enough punishment for anyone to have to endure.

To sum it up, it's an accident. No one party can be totally blamed for the outcome. It sucks it went down how it did, but that's life in the big city.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
There was an interview on NBC today with the woman who took the video.
NBC DFW

She said she heard the mother repeatedly telling him no he could not go in. She was taking a photo of Harambi (sp) when she heard the splash. She said everything wasn't on the video. At one point the gorilla was pulling him up the wall like a ragdoll.

You can check the link for vid

For those saying a child can't get away fast never had a child. No one knows the circumstances. Did she have another child?

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted

. . . I'd take Harambe over you.

The feeling is mutual.

Lol. Really captain obvious?

You have made it clear you don't care if a little kid dies so I wouldn't expect you to value my life.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Well, I was hoping you would tell me how you really felt, but I suppose not.

Regardless, my original statement is still true, in the context of things both small and large.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Are you an expert on primates? Because you seem to give your opinion as if you are.

I value the voice of those with experience with primates over people blabbering from emotions.

That being said, I am saddened by this. I had actually wanted to dedicate my life to studying the Mountain Gorillas of South Africa, but life happened. However, I am not about to act like I understand these animals and if they are meaning harm or not.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

And they call us racists, all the while these crazy left wingers are advocating for the death of a black child in leiu of a monkey. To them, the monkey is worth more. Yet these are the same people who call us racist when its convenient in their narrative.

It was a horrible accident, and it happens, its sad, but it happens. Im just grateful the child is safe and sound.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

She was with a daycare group, there was more than one mother/daycare provider there, and more than one child. It was also the first time this happened in the entire 38 year history of this zoo. Sometimes, accidents do happen. From what an eyewitness said, she had diverted her attention to two other children and was speaking to them, when her son went in. One woman saw the boy on the other side of the enclosure before he fell in, but couldn't catch him in time.
edit on 1-6-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kitana
a reply to: Morrad

And they call us racists, all the while these crazy left wingers are advocating for the death of a black child in leiu of a monkey. To them, the monkey is worth more.

What does race have ANYTHING to do with this?

Nothing.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I don't know, I would say anyone thinking that the life of a black child is worth less than that of a monkey is a bit racist. But hey, race has nothing to do with it, just a black child whose life is worthless to these people.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn

"She said she heard the mother repeatedly telling him no he could not go in.

This shows she had foreknowledge of the danger and was the most responsible person for everything that happened. The mother was negligent in turning her attention from the child after being prodded by the kid enough to have to say no multiple times.

If a three year old is begging for something after being told no, over and over, then that's a clue that "no" isn't working.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join