It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

King Tut knife made from meteorite

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+48 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
So the ancient Egyptians knew meteorites had iron properties that could be forged, a couple of thousand years before anyone else. Pretty neat.

Tutankhamun had a space dagger:
-Blade found beside ancient Egyptian boy king's mummy was made from a METEORITE
-Scientists used x-ray scans to analyse the blade of Tutankhamun's dagger
-It was found inside the boy king's sarcophagus beside his right thigh-
-Study found the iron blade contained high levels of nickel and cobalt Chemical composition matched that of a meteorite found in Maras Matruh

The researchers said: 'the introduction of the new composite term suggests the ancient Egyptians, in the wake of other ancient people of the Mediterranean area, were aware that these rare chunks of iron fell from the sky already in the 13th century BC, anticipating Western culture by more than two millennia.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 6jY by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

edit on 6jY by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

A star and flag were not a sufficient thank you for posting this interesting find.

Thank you for posting this

All I can say is - Awesome!

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

They had some pretty cool forging technology back then. But I wonder if their alien friends (who helped build the pyramids) brought this meteoritic metal from space as a gift to King Tut?..heheh

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

this is really cool i am in the process of collecting enough meteorites as to forge them into a sword. s and f this is why i keep coming back to ats despite the heavy censorship

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
That is really cool.. Sounds like something out of a marvel movie..

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

this is really cool i am in the process of collecting enough meteorites as to forge them into a sword. s and f this is why i keep coming back to ats despite the heavy censorship

When you have a civilization that spans nearly 3000 years BEFORE It's even considered 'modern', imagine how many old members of their society just sat and watched the stars go by.
You have to remember, for example Marc Anthony is closer to the invention of the iPhone than he was to the final slab laud down for the last pyramids. They had time.

And they aren't making steel, they are simply make crude iron weapons, in this case not so crude, but if it got wet and not dried off it would rust away, it's lucky it was placed in an extremely dry climate all this time.
Impressive and very decorative, elegant l, etc. But, iron is iron doesn't matter if it came from Pluto, a meteor or human blood. If you got enough of it and know how to Forge simple metals then you can make lots of stuff.
edit on 1-6-2016 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

That's incredible. I wonder if anyone actually saw the meteorite crash, and then decided to smelt the blade out of it or if it was just happenstance hmmm

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

When you have a civilization that spans nearly 3000 years BEFORE It's even considered 'modern', imagine how many old members of their society just sat and watched the stars go by.
You have to remember, for example Marc Anthony is closer to the invention of the iPhone than he was to the final slab laud down for the last pyramids. They had time.

And they aren't making steel, they are simply make crude iron weapons, in this case not so crude, but if it got wet and not dried off it would rust away, it's lucky it was placed in an extremely dry climate all this time.
Impressive and very decorative, elegant l, etc. But, iron is iron doesn't matter if it came from Pluto, a meteor or human blood. If you got enough of it and know how to Forge simple metals then you can make lots of stuff.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Or a DC TV show (The Flash).

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Still only does 1d4 hit points of damage.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

+2 vs. outsiders.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Still only does 1d4 hit points of damage.

That's the OJ knife.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Im not sure they actually knew the meteorite fell put of the sky. They probably just went "hey this is a neat rock or chunk of ore. It looks different and it appears rare. Lets make a decorative dagger out of it for the boy king." Thats probably the extent of what they knew about the rock

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

It's amazing how arrogant we as a society can be as far as knowledge and technology, when on many facets they were ahead of us. I mean the things that we do know about. I imagine there are many other works of the ancients that are being hidden from us, Pyramids, the knowledge of the solar system, etc. Nice find!

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
For anyone that's an Avatar cartoon fan. Not the James Cameron Avatar. And not the crappy Avatar the last airbender movie.

In the show Sokka had a sword made from a meteor. Man at Arms Reforged did a recreation of that sword using meteorite. Have a watch.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Some of the Jarvanese make their holy kris knives out of meteorite.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
For anyone that's an Avatar cartoon fan. Not the James Cameron Avatar. And not the crappy Avatar the last airbender movie.

In the show Sokka had a sword made from a meteor. Man at Arms Reforged did a recreation of that sword using meteorite. Have a watch.

I've watched plenty of the Avatar cartoons years past. My kids always had this on, I think on Nick.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

That was freaking awesome! Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
Some of the Jarvanese make their holy kris knives out of meteorite.

Those kris are amazingly made. Youre right the ceremonial ones were made from meteorite. Whats fascinating about the kris is they were often hand made and on some you can literally see the fingerprints of the blacksmith in the steel from when they were shaping the blade.

Would be cool if they made kujangs out of meteorite too.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
VERY COOL! S & F, thanks for posting this

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join