It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The case for Black holes being nothing but holograms just got even stronger

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlongCamePaul
The wording of the original article is ambiguous and has caused some misleading conjectures.

Black holes are very much 3 dimensional celestial bodies. They consist of a length, width, and depth. For obvious reasons the depth of a black hole cannot be measured, however scientists have found a means to determine a black holes gravitational pull using 2 dimensions I.E. Surface area based upon the theory of entropy across this surface area.

In short, they are using the entropy of the surface area of the black hole to determine its size; Instead of determining its size by volume. Its a step in the right direction for sure.

Once they figure out the ratio of matter compression based upon the size and spin of the black hole, then we'll be one step closer to deriving the true space-time constant for gravity, which means unlocking the gravitron.

So rather as a true hologram contains the all information about the picture in every individual pixel, a black hole's size can be deduced from the surface of its event horizon, that kind of thing?

Does that mean that in some way information can be gathered from the event horizon? I can imagine looking at the surface of a black hole with a telescope and seeing all of its history contained in the details, I think that would be Arthur C. Clarke style cool.

I am probably misunderstanding though.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yeah...fine, can't argue with it, as there's no way or confirming or denying it...but WHAT is the froth between the bubble Universes and the bubble membrane itself made from?

Don't tell me fairy liquid.

Although...

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Yikes. Suicide by concept!

Our minds could collapse into a mental black hole by even trying to answer that.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: TrueBrit

Since there is no such thing as a hologram which naturally occurs, one can safely assume that regardless of what is meant when a scientist uses the term, a black hole cannot be a hologram, or holographic.

What would you consider a rainbow to be then?

I understand 100% what TrueBrit is getting at. Also...A rainbow is in no way a hologram or projection in the regular sense.

Although on further thought..i see what you mean. A rainbow is indeed a 2 dimensional image from 3 dimensional sources..but i think the difference is there is a "screen", the water driplets.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

It's a hologram of sorts... I guess.

I think TrueBrit's response was pretty accurate, actually.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Good find.

I do think the universe is a Hologram. This isn't some abstract notion with Scientist sitting around trying to be clever. This comes from Physics and it's the reason why many Physicist accept some version of the Holographic Principle. It's because of things like black hole thermodynamics and the limit of information physics allows for a volume of space. Like I said, these things are very concrete and you can't get around them because someone might not like the idea.

When Scientist went to calculate the amount of information that can occupy a volume of space, they expected to find that this information was correlated to the volume of space. What they found surprised them. The information that can occupy a volume of space corresponds to information on a 2D surface surrounding that volume of space. So volume is an illusion. It's a projection of the 2D information.

It has to be.

here's an example. Look at your closet. All of the stuff that can fit into your closet isn't determined by the volume of your closet but the 2D surface that surrounds the volume of your closet. If you were to add up all of the information based on what can fit in the volume of your closet, physics wouldn't allow it. So how can volume be real and not an illusion"?

Here's some videos:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Big fleas have little fleas, upon their backs to bite them, little fleas have littler fleas, and so ad infinitum.

Just could not resist.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The case for Black holes being nothing but holograms just got even stronger

I can't imagine the size of the projector needed to make that...

Space is ever changing, but also fascinating.

Each day we learn more about the universe...science is a wonderful thing.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Imagine how much more we could learn and discover if more than a tiny fraction of humanity's energy was spent on research and creation, rather than control and destruction.
edit on 3/6/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

<< 1   >>

join