It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the likelihood someone would invest in my future?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I have an aptitude for computer programming and would like to get into Web Development, followed by software development. These are often high paying jobs that I feel fully confident that I would be proficient in.

However, my financial situation is not allowing me to do anything other than work long weeks, and scrounge for cash for the extras by the end of the month.

I feel I could take a while, months, years and get ahead. Or.. Take a loan from a investor, or bank and get ahead quicker.

What is the likelihood of this happening?

Realize I do not mean a college degree but rather that I'm good enough right now that a few more months of focused studies would get me there.

Or a few more years of a few minutes a day...

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

If your mind works like this and have a great idea, call Apple. I think they will help you!

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Perhaps a company would be interested, though I'm sure they have plenty of candidates with even masters degrees and such. I'll have to see if they'd be the type to hire someone that's newer in the field.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

They say that success happens when opportunity meets preparation. Keep working towards your goal and keep an eye out, put the word out and keep a positive and open mind for opportunity to spring up when you least expect it. Be prepared!
edit on 31-5-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope A degree isnt always the dealmaker. Its the person who can do the job. You seem confident. Get out there and sell yourself. Find that position. You can do it.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Ill invest in you if invest in me? I want to make things of artistic quality, i understand even children have computers today, perhaps we should talk.

Its a hard world in both ventures, if you are good perhaps it is time for you surround yourself with people in your real life that do the same things or buy and invest into people like you. IMO I am saving to start going to paint and comic conventions to meet people to find out in the real world what my competition is and also where I can stand if someone asks me what I do do.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
instead of typing that on ats, spend time typing "scholarship programs" in google and start applying.
Once you get enough info, then google "student loan programs" and do a bit of research.

student loans suck, but it is there to grab and can elevate you from dishwasher to coder in a couple years.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
a reply to: deadlyhope A degree isnt always the dealmaker. Its the person who can do the job. You seem confident. Get out there and sell yourself. Find that position. You can do it.

True, experience trumps education.

Honestly, if a person knows what they are doing, I wouldn't care if they are a highschool dropout. people are running businesses, not character building facilitys

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: Quantum12

Perhaps a company would be interested, though I'm sure they have plenty of candidates with even masters degrees and such. I'll have to see if they'd be the type to hire someone that's newer in the field.

Have you explored internship programs. They are a great way to get experience and get your foot in the door with a company.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I will tell you a lesson in life I have learned. Never give the fork up. Do not stop eating until your full. If you have a vision in life, you can make it happen. I am here doing what i loved and never gave up. You will do it!!!

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Thanks for your encouragement! I am definitely moving that direction, just wondering the best way to go about it.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Good idea! Thanks. I will definitely look into it.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Student loans are easy to get, you would do better to go to a loan shark, you may get more fair conditions there.

Think about it well before taking a loan, programming seems like a crowded field.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Yeah, I'll be doing this as well as many other things, as an independent worker I don't exactly have the work experience, though my free lancing won't have gone unnoticed specifically by the people I contract with.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Good programmers will always be needed. I do have the confidence that I can separate myself from the pack

But thank you for your words of caution, I realize they came from caring. I will definitely ensure I keep my current retail job until programming is a little more sure or possible.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: Indigent

Good programmers will always be needed. I do have the confidence that I can separate myself from the pack

But thank you for your words of caution, I realize they came from caring. I will definitely ensure I keep my current retail job until programming is a little more sure or possible.

Programming is as good as the math, the numbers never really change man, what is a good programmer? Someone that makes a functioning program? All a program has to do is function, I am studying java and python and c++ on the side on code academy cause it is free information (almost like a video game) does it make me a good programmer? probably not, but at the same time these are not the things that define me or why I am valuable, perhaps those are the things that will sell you above the other competitors. I hope you make a whole operating system and tell a bitch hey look man I made this, but I was just bored looking to do something cool, hire me cause I wont let you down.., and then you get hired

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I think your going to murder it, with your raw and bloody #ing hands if you want it bad enough. Just don't be surprised when you end up on a construction job for awhile, I am in the same boat, but then again you can be the next most inspiring person I ever got to talk to online, I hope you #ing kill it

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

100%

These guys will educate you at no cost until you get hired:

The App Academy.

edit on 1-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Whoa great link! Thank you. I'll definitely be looking into this.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Invest in yourself first I think the strongest driving force would be turning a hobby into your carrier. For the bellow you only need yourself

(Side note: world would be a much nicer place, i used to be perplexed by the fact that you are meant to have a signature as a child, mine is the same since they asked me to sign something in 3rd grade and you are meant to know/choose what you are going to do at the age of 12) anyway back to web development

1st learn how to code
2nd fake a diploma
3rd

“Becoming known as the solution to a particular set of problems is crucial to your freelance career, so you need to be willing to differentiate and then lock it in.”
- Ted Johnson, longterm freelance developer.

If you’re not sure your current abilities solve a common enough problem, consider learning a new language altogether, or try building a skillset of complementary abilities other than coding, such as User Experience Design, or User Interface Design for the more creative types. A developer who can also plan out a usable and effective information architecture is rare, and this dual-skilled approach could see you turning clients away left, right and centre.

You don’t ever just want to be “that developer guy/girl I know” but rather “an expert developer for [insert problem here]”.

4th

If you are not sure current hot things on market : Ruby on Rails, Swift, Node.js

expert web developer Stephen Young put it:

“Focus on the underlying principles and driving forces behind new technologies.”

5th

Start Building, Anything & Everything

So you’ve found your niche. Now it’s time to get building. The best place to start is your portfolio website, the one website you will update, edit and continually develop for your entire career. Your portfolio is a way of displaying your skills and having an easy reference for potential clients. If in doubt, remember that your goal in self-representation is to be easy to find, easy to remember, and good to know.

6th

“No one hires based on where you’ve been, they hire based on what you’ve done.”

- Emil Lamprecht

Build your ideas, they are what make you, you.

Once you’ve built your portfolio, you need things to put in it, which is your opportunity to boost your personal brand by:

Practicing your niche skill
Building your own ideas
Exhibiting your technical chops
You’re essentially killing two birds with one stone: you’re improving on and applying your new skills while simultaneously showing your wares. Your portfolio is your shop window, so make sure that it, and its contents, represent your very best work.

7th

get to know people, help others when you learn something and keep notes of progress, contacts (use Twitter, Quora, YouTube plenty of free channels) it's meant to be a challenge and you are meant to f*** up all the time
so don't let that get in your way

Build Your Personal Brand

Getting your name out there as an expert in the field can be tough, but if you want the freelance lifestyle, you’ll have to hustle for it, so get ready for some sleepless nights.

There are so many opportunities for professionals to get known without spending a penny that advertising is not a route you need to go down, not at this stage. By showcasing your work, building a network and teaching and blogging like an expert you will find more than enough ways to connect with people and for people to find you.

It’s crucial that you talk to people. Online and off.

I hope this is will not just remain a phase and a thread on a forum go for it if you really like doing it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join