It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Strange, Sad Story of Laz Rojas, the 'One-Man Movie Studio'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I just watched this and it moved me, I thought it was too good a story not to share with you guys.

In the latest episode of OUTSIDER, VICE tracks down aspiring filmmaker/actor Laz Rojas to uncover the mystery behind his insanely ambitious '90s audition tape that features his performance of over 100 male/female characters.

The 80's and early 90's.
What happens when an ambitious guy in the pursuit of the Hollywood dream finds the harsh reality of it, but doesn't give up and comes up with the idea to direct and star on his own audition tape, playing over 100 characters and using some ingenious camera work?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

He's better than many of those talentless actors/actresses in Hollyweird.

edit on 5/31/2016 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Lol, and definitely more passion than a lot of overpaid 'stars'.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What the what! I had no idea something like this even existed.

Mind=Blown.

From some of the scenes in the Vice video. The guy was not half bad. I can't believe he never got a role somewhere. Even if it was just a small role. But maybe, sending a four and a half hour demo of you playing over hundred characters, is not the best way to land the part of dead burn victim number three on something like CSI.

Someone needs to tell this guy about Kickstarter.

If anyone is interested in more

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I got a cousin in a a similar position like this guy, fortunately his mother has been able to maintain him in his eternal search for that one shot at stardom, One day I was visiting her, my son was watching TV and in a commercial she must have seen someone similar to her son because she said something similar to what she said, it broke my heart, by one side its an inspirational tale of never giving up, by the other is delusional, you are wasting your life, do something...

Dreams are cool, sometimes you must realize they wont happen before they become a nightmare, don't follow your dreams, become an accountant and be miserable, or follow your dreams... and be miserable but also broke. All in all whatever you do sometimes you are doom and there is a dimension where this guy is the most important figure in Hollywood for the last 20 years, i'm gonna go with that to not be so depressed.

So follow your dreams but don't dream too big? someone help me out here...

... gonna dream of cheap stuff like beer

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

he has a go fund me

www.gofundme.com...

its in the video description

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

The irony of all of this, is that while I believe it would be inaccurate and, with the greatest respect to Laz Rojas, unfair to say that this man has greater talent than the top actors and actresses of this day and age, I am aghast that his obvious talents were not put to use by someone in the visual entertainment industry.

The snippets I saw in the video above, exhibit a clear genius for the sort of acting, directing, and make up structure that has worked well for the cast of Days of Our Lives, among other such franchises over the years. He has the bone structure, he has the will. If he was directed by someone half way competent in a full production, he would have been a small screen star, without a doubt. I do have my doubts about his ever having the chops for the big screen, but if he had gotten a break in smaller productions, who knows? He certainly is not a thespian in the classical sense, but as I said... Properly directed, he could have gone many places.

It is a great shame that the story he has wound up in, is so Dickensian. Life, it seems, has provided all the drama that he will ever know.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I'm deeply cynical and when I see tales like this sometimes I wonder if there is something more, perhaps he had chances but blew them for some reason, too small for them in their minds, a really bad attitude, a nasty addiction to crystal meth, who knows.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Meth?

I doubt it. Given that he has been living on Granola bars and bread for a while, you would have thought that crystal meth addiction would have RAVAGED his body. Meth users tend to physically degrade the more they indulge, but he looks to be in pretty good shape for a man who is homeless half the time and looking after an elderly mother.

That being said, he may well have some character traits which are not as healthy as his body and face appear to be. Stifled creativity can have you talking to the pigeons pretty bloody quickly.

top topics

join