It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Criticize With Kindness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
That article is odd. I get the best results with the "your Mom" jokes when arguing with intellectuals

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

I wouldn't even bother posting on ATS if I couldn't get my fair share of abuse.

edit on 31-5-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
On a somewhat related note, the following video is about why you can't win an argument online.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I go to one forum where the general rule is "don't be a dick".

Now that's an ATS motto I could get behind !

This "deny ignorance" thing seems to be an exercise in futility around here these days.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Thank you! That's so kind of you to say. I hope so!!

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

xD I hear you. It's pretty darn entertaining sometimes, I have to admit.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Actually, I have won several online. Not here, but on facebook. The only reason I won is because, like a croc or a mad dog or something, once I sink my teeth in I don't let go until something changes. I managed to open a couple of peoples' eyes by tirelessly doing the four steps for about two and a half hours back and forth in the comments section. It was pretty cool, actually. Very draining, though. Which is why I don't do that kind of thing anymore. Once they admit that I'm right and they are wrong--and apologize to me--then I feel that I won. And then I apologize as well, because on each of these occasions I have resorted to blows that hit below the belt--out of frustration.

So yeah, I think it's slightly impossible to adhere to the four steps without deviating. Frustration builds and comes out--especially after hours of arguing. Nobody is perfect, but I think the point here is that if your intention is to do some good, then you have to stick to that. Once the person admits their fault, you have to be gracious and kind toward them.

The majority of people will not be dissuaded from ignorance, though. That is nothing new. People like living in their delusions of reality. Thus, they rebel when others attempt to disturb that false peace of theirs.

On ATS, it is literally impossible to win an argument because everybody here is here because they feel like they know what's going on to some extent. So that blinds them to their own ignorance.

Being ignorant isn't bad--we need to stop thinking that it is.
What is truly bad is knowing that you are ignorant and not caring or doing anything to change it. (ie being willfully ignorant)
So the first step is illuminating that ignorance and seeing where things go from there.

I think that people do have their eyes opened from arguments online. They might just be too proud to admit it.
But yeah, I don't think that winning arguments online is that hard if you don't mind devoting a chunk of your time to seeing it through to the bitter end lol
edit on 31-5-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: malevolent

thats amusing thanks, it took me years to learn how to be a dick without looking out right like one

Haha.. that's hilarious. So the goal is still to be a dick? Only covertly and with style? I like that..

I need to absorb this advice.. not necessarily your specific take on it maybe..
I'm far too much of a dick online. It's exhausting sometimes, getting into stupid conflicts with other dicks.

Great advice.. Thanks for sharing it Rukia.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join